2015 Peugot 2008 in France

RaymondP

My daughter lives in France and I would like to advise her, long distance, as I am in the US. She owns a 2015 Peugot 2008 (1.1 gasoline engine, manual) with 130,000 kilometers on it. Has started using a lot of fuel and oil. Took it to the local dealer who is telling her she needs a new engine. Looking at reviews these are regarded as average to above in reliability. Cost to replace is est. at 6,000 euros (more in dollars). Any advice on what to look for? She is asking if there is a less costly midway point between a full engine replacement, given the age/mileage?

Do you know the general state of the engine....have you seen it?
Any CEL?
Could she have had an oil change using cheap oil?
Could the PCV valve be stuck?

Could the MAF sensor be dirty?
Is 81K miles too early for an upstream O2 sensor to have died?

What is "a lot" of fuel? Does she keep records? Most people do not.
Could the seasonal change to cooler weather have caused her mileage to drop?

Maybe a bottle of Techron to start with?

Yea, Peugeots aren't good cars. There's a reason they left the US market :poop:

She could buy a used Toyota with that much money instead, and they are more reliable with less problems. They have the Yaris, Avensis, and Corolla Verso, for example.

Reactions: D60

She could buy a used Toyota with that much money instead, and they are more reliable with less problems. They have the Yaris, Avensis, and Corolla Verso, for example.

Oh yeah, cue in the automotive experts with their "everybody should own a Toyota" advice.

Can't miss an opportunity to praise Toyota

A good chunk of the high mileage cars you see in Europe are Peugeot or Citroen diesels.

Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, Toyota, Volvo etc all used Peugeot/Citroen diesel engines for years!

They're no different to any other manufacturer. Especially these days.

6k euros is a lot for it being only worth maybe 8k euros used like that. Tell her to use 50 grade oil and to have a shop check things like maf and oxygen sensors as those affect fuel economy. When those failed on my 4 cyl ranger i had hummer h2 level mpg.

A good chunk of the high mileage cars you see in Europe are Peugeot or Citroen diesels.

Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, Toyota, Volvo etc all used Peugeot/Citroen diesel engines for years!

They're no different to any other manufacturer. Especially these days.

Yet 50 year old examples are still daily drivers in Africa and the middle east on some of the worse roads in the world. Go figure.

Today's cars are different than the ones made 50 years ago. Also, plenty of older cars still being made in third-world countries. For example, the Pug 405 is still made in that region.

Same thing with VW. Sure, the old air-cooled Beetle was simple, but modern Golfs and Jettas don't have a good reputation. Mexico got the old Beetle until 2004. Nissan kept making the Tsuru (old Sentra from the early 90s) in Mexico until recently.

My point is that instead of spending $7000 to swap the engine on a car with lots of km on it, you could buy a better/newer car. How is Europe's used car market compared to ours? :unsure:

You have to be joking with that statement right.
Nope,

aswan-egypt-february-5-2016-260nw-415313998.jpg

giza-egypt-january-26-2021-260nw-2141881333.jpg

70_year_old_car_in_use_as_taxi_credit_Duncan_Moore.jpeg

Yes, check engine light came on which prompted her to visit dealer. Waiting for her to share the fault code report, but it will be in French! There has been an oil leak for about 18 months - source appeared to be mid-engine gasket so didn't commit to a costly rebuild. Has had to add a quart of oil every 3,000 km. But fuel consumption has more recently increased 15-25% and CEL came on. Has been doing scheduled oil changes with quality (Total) oil (0W-30/ 5W-30) full-syn - BITCOG daughter ;)).

Have advised her to keep driving and watch all fluids and gauges unless the CEL starts blinking but avoid long trips. For the size of engine it was surprisingly peppy and ran smoothly on the motorway, even though it took a while to get up to speed. Hoping she can make it until I get over there some time in the new year.

Years ago (70s/80s) in London I had a Peugeot 104ZS. Great car. Drove all over the UK and Europe for years. Appreciate they may not be well regarded in the US, but along with Citroen they are one of the better brands. Unfortunately, cars in Europe are very expensive, but we seem to be catching up.

Yes, check engine light came on which prompted her to visit dealer. Waiting for her to share the fault code report, but it will be in French! There has been an oil leak for about 18 months - source appeared to be mid-engine gasket so didn't commit to a costly rebuild. Has had to add a quart of oil every 3,000 km. But fuel consumption has more recently increased 15-25% and CEL came on. Has been doing scheduled oil changes with quality (Total) oil (0W-30/ 5W-30) full-syn - BITCOG daughter ;)).

Have advised her to keep driving and watch all fluids and gauges unless the CEL starts blinking but avoid long trips. For the size of engine it was surprisingly peppy and ran smoothly on the motorway, even though it took a while to get up to speed. Hoping she can make it until I get over there some time in the new year.

Years ago (70s/80s) in London I had a Peugeot 104ZS. Great car. Drove all over the UK and Europe for years. Appreciate they may not be well regarded in the US, but along with Citroen they are one of the better brands. Unfortunately, cars in Europe are very expensive, but we seem to be catching up.
Hardly sounds like something requiring a new engine. I would avoid that dealership and find another mechanic.

Had a high school buddy inherited his father's Peugeot 505. It was a beast. Built like an old Volvo but way more comfortable. Looked like this one. Old ones probably better quality than a 2008 model but still 80K miles unlikely to need a new engine.

Or could it be really a Gallic Hyundai ?

1697559659758.jpg

Hemmings

Back