2017 Ford Taurus V6 Loaner Car - FWD Torque Steer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Leo99
RWD is out of style these days.

Still popular on Euro cars. Mercedes is RWD on the E class but I think some of the cheaper models are FWD now. But I prefer AWD over RWD, they tend to do a staggered setup with RWD so you can't rotate the tires so people end up buying a new set of rear tires at 15-20k because you only get half the normal life out of them.

Compared to 40 years ago...Jeez, that's a long time ago. Most cars were RWD and a few FWD. That ratio has flipped it seems to me.

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
You were driving in 8"-10" snow?

Sure. A set of Altimax Arctics on my ‘10 Sonata, and I can get wherever I need to go, plowed or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khittner
To each his own, I guess. I prefer a front wheel drive car, with a weight bias over the front wheels for any limited-traction circumstance, like today’s 8-10” snow. A front-engine, rear-wheel drive car is problematic in the snow, even with snow tires, unless you add 200+ pounds of ballast to the trunk. Ninety percent of 4-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle drivers rarely “need” the capability, particularly compared to a front-drive vehicle with an appropriate seasonal tire choice.

Put snow tires and 8-10" is piece of cake for FWD.

Clever driveshaft choice can eliminate torque steer
A good diff can significantly reduce torque steer
Revo-knuckle and other clever suspension advances can eliminate torque steer

Ford were just being cheapskates in marketing a car that exhibits these characteristics.

sXJ1A8f.gif
Drama queen. I had a 2008 Taurus company car with the same powertrain that got a bit squirrelly if you got on it. My Fiat does the same, it's RWD and all of 1.4 liters. Nothing a good driver can't handle.

Taurus covered with snow in the desert -

iqq2PLh.jpg

Originally Posted By: edyvw
To each his own, I guess. I prefer a front wheel drive car, with a weight bias over the front wheels for any limited-traction circumstance, like today’s 8-10” snow. A front-engine, rear-wheel drive car is problematic in the snow, even with snow tires, unless you add 200+ pounds of ballast to the trunk. Ninety percent of 4-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle drivers rarely “need” the capability, particularly compared to a front-drive vehicle with an appropriate seasonal tire choice.

Depends upon the snow. 12" of powder can be nothing while 4" of wet packing snow can bring the world to a stop.

I've driven in both types of snow with front wheel drive. And it has not been a problem either way. Where it gets really rough... Snow packed down... Melting a bit on the very top of it and going up a hill. That proved to be impossible to get up and over. However, when that stuff froze up again after dark... I rolled up it just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
A loaner Taurus could easily have improperly infalted or mismatched tires, or a bad alignment.

This was a 2017 model year car in pristine condition with brand new looking matching tires and about 4k miles. Other than the torque steer under heavy acceleration it rode and drove perfectly. From what the salesperson and I talked about these cars they give as loaners are being sold as certified pre-owned. This is not some beater rental car lol. My point, it's just poor design, and that's a bummer, as I'm a big fan of Chevy and Ford.

cOsPCNW.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Depends upon the snow. 12" of powder can be nothing while 4" of wet packing snow can bring the world to a stop.

It will bring to stop people without proper snow tires, FWD, RWD, AWD, does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back