2017 F150 stx with 2.7 Ecoboost oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I was looking at the wrong specs in the owners manual. It is definitely 5w30 synthetic , it does say synthetic and not blend though. . I decided to go with Amsoil signature series and their filter. I plan to do an oil test at 5000 miles and see how it’s doing and go from there.

Originally Posted By: CT8
M1 while being a great oil starts out thin and drains out below spec for a 30 wt.

I have most certainly not found that to be the case with 10W-30 M1.

If it were my truck with the 2.7 EB, I would use ANY 5W30 synthetic oil and change the oil AND the OIL FILTER ever 5K miles. And, I would use a MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTER as well.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
If it were my truck with the 2.7 EB, I would use ANY 5W30 synthetic oil and change the oil AND the OIL FILTER ever 5K miles. And, I would use a MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTER as well.

I’ve seen a lot of suggestions to use the Motorcraft filter, which I do for my 7.3, but if other oils are better than Motorcraft why not their filters?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Actually, the Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W30 that seems to have some BITOG cred for EB engines is also going dexos1 Gen 2.
Royal Purple 5W30, too.
Most of the mainstream 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30 oils are going to have Gen 2 licenses. The Ford standard might be less prevalent, but I'd guess the Magnatec 5W30 will meet it...the previous version of the product did, but Castrol's website hadn't been updated with info on the Gen 2 product.

I saw the Magnatec 5W-30 Dexos 1 Gen.2 in Walmart today.

Last edited:
The 2.7 engine uses a canister filter. I use the motor craft. Always remember this engine must sit for 20 minutes for the oil to drain.

Originally Posted By: Wojo
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I’ve seen a lot of suggestions to use the Motorcraft filter, which I do for my 7.3, but if other oils are better than Motorcraft why not their filters?

Sure, there are other oil filters that match their motor oil; M1, RP. But, why pay those OVER INFLATED prices for an oil filter that you're only going to use at the most, probably 5K miles? MC costs $3.97 at WM, M1 $10.97 at WM, and a RP, where, I don't know but I bet it's at least $12-$14. I think I would rather pay $3.97 for a filter that will DO THE JOB AS DESIGNED, than to blow the extra $$$$ on a boutique oil filter!
grin.gif

I have a 2016 F150 2.7 (15.5k miles) and run the suggested Motorcraft Semi-syn and a Motorcraft filter. Cheap and effective. My friend Pat runs a 2016 (bought March 2016) also but has a few more miles on his. Last time we spoke he'd run up 130,000+ trouble free miles. Pat runs "emergency" parts around the Southeast for Motion Industries. Pat doesn't belong to a forum, so he doesn't know that he'd be better served with a more expensive oil. He follows the owners manual. When the oil life monitor tells him his truck needs a change he takes it in for the same thing I run. Motorcraft semi-syn oil and their filter. Every 10,000 miles.

Royal Purple would work, but its a waste of money. Mobil 1 is much more readily available and cost effective. 5W-30 seems to work for around 7k miles, but it does shear. 5k miles is what I am doing now. I would not think RP would be any different. I agree with earlier poster that Mobil 1 10W-30 is probably the best for down south. It is what I will switch to after my stash of 5W-30 runs ou. Other synthetics would also work.

Last edited:
Dumped the factory fill in my 2.7 at 1000 miles and Castrol 0w-40 at 7500 OCI ever since and I sleep great at night

My New 2018 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Recommends "SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor
Oil"....

Also
Optional "SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Motor
Oil"

You should confirm that Ford didnt back spec that 5w-20 back to a 5w-30.

I’m always suprised people want to save $5.00 on a $40,000 Vehicle. Just buy full synthetic 5w-30 that meets the ford spec. If you look for rebates & sales full syn won’t cost you a dime more. Good luck : btw nice truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back