2017 Corvette GS Declared Totaled over 1" Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked copart to see if it was listed but no dice. I did find a flooded 2017 Vette in Dallas. Current bid $42k with 3 days left.

https://www.copart.com/lot/27269157

Wouldn't be surprised if the guy buys it back and has it fixed. Probably pockets tens of thousands of dollars over the mishap.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I checked copart to see if it was listed but no dice. I did find a flooded 2017 Vette in Dallas. Current bid $42k with 3 days left.

Wouldn't be surprised if the guy buys it back and has it fixed. Probably pockets tens of thousands of dollars over the mishap.
And likely pays out tens of thousands to insure it (if an insurance company would even give full coverage, my guess would be liability only). Still worth keeping if the buyback is cheap enough.

That is a bit more than I would have expected from a flood car saddled with a salvage title. Does Texas have an electronic titling system or is everything still a paper trail?
My thinking is that you could repair the car, which for 42K you would and then wash the title by transferring it to a neighboring state.
This may be what the bidders have in mind.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
That is a bit more than I would have expected from a flood car saddled with a salvage title. Does Texas have an electronic titling system or is everything still a paper trail?
My thinking is that you could repair the car, which for 42K you would and then wash the title by transferring it to a neighboring state.

Not sure about their titling system but cars like these seem to fetch top dollar in the DFW area. Car has 5k miles and the current bid price seemed pretty steep to me as well. Plus it may go a little higher. Washing the title through another state is another possibility like you mentioned. Not sure which states do that but would be good to know for reference.

Ohio uses e-title and has for some years.
The little GM dealer I bought my old BMW from had an Impala on the lot that had been bought at an auction in Indiana. It was on a clean Indiana title. When they got an OH title for the car, it came back as a salvage title.
The car had been salvaged in OH but then got a clean title in IN.
The Ohio database then reverted the car to a salvage title but had the car been resold in Indiana, the buyer would never have known that it had been totaled.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Someone will fix it right. It can't be impossible. So many shops don't want to touch stuff like that. I had a heck of a time even finding a shop to repair the frame and replace the floor pans on my 96 Cherokee. As soon as they hear "frame", they're out.

Cherokees don't have frames.

Well ok to be technical, it's a uniframe. If we're talking XJ gen. SJ gen was a full on truck frame. What that means is there's a regular frame with a unibody on top. So it does indeed have frame rails and if you could take the unibody off, you'd be left with something like looks like a compact truck frame. I had to get the driver's frame rail patched up.

Last edited:
That area of the car seems vulnerable to strikes. I wonder why a skidplate from GM does not protect the area? A skidplate may be a good idea for an aftermarket company to fabricate and sell.

It's a good candidate to put on a Silverado frame...
4x4C3-6.jpg

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I would drive that thing as a daily driver, as is. Its fine.

I'd drill each end of the crack, mig weld it in, grind it, and paint it over. I'd drive it and keep an eye on it.

That's actually approved procedure (well, probably TIG weld, now) for repairing aircraft, per the FAA!

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I'd have that welded and drive it. IMHO the owner's first mistake was taking it to the stealer.

Mistake? He got a brand new car out of the deal.

No approved factory repair for an extremely obscure accident, due to the liability they wrote it off. It'll command a premium at auction, and the insurance company will be made whole. Owner probably wasn't offered the car at any reasonable amount to make it worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's actually approved procedure (well, probably TIG weld, now) for repairing aircraft, per the FAA!

This Corvette piece is cast aluminum. Airplanes are not cast aluminum.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Not sure about their titling system but cars like these seem to fetch top dollar in the DFW area. Car has 5k miles and the current bid price seemed pretty steep to me as well. Plus it may go a little higher. Washing the title through another state is another possibility like you mentioned. Not sure which states do that but would be good to know for reference.

West Virginia used to be a state to clean up a title, but with Carfax and insurance claims I would think it's very hard to do nowadays. I would be leery of someone w/o insurance who pays someone in a shop to clean up his car for resale. There would be no paper trail. Also, older cars don't get the same attention as newer ones. I bought my 2000 Mustang wrecked and it not only had a clean title but the Carfax didn't show the accident.

Last edited:
From an insurance stand point I can see why shops would opt out of that repair.

It would likely be fine, but if it were to come apart around a track a 200 mph, you don't want to be the shop that welded it.

Lots of things go into insurance totaling a vehicle, not just cost to repair vs. value of the vehicle. Many times if a vehicle had structural damage (bent frame or unibody) it would be totaled and not repaired. The insurance company doesn't want to be liable because of something they deemed fixable.

It actually looks like an easy fix to weld. I have welded two aluminum sub frames on BMWs where the cross over bar attachments to the frame were broken. Much more difficult than the Vette crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back