2017 Corolla SE 6mt opinions/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am approaching 218,000 trouble free miles on mine with the 1.8L VVT-i. It still burns no oil, and my last 4 tanks were 43 mpgUS. Still on the original brakes, still performs as it did when I first purchased it.

If I'm going to be pushing past 8-10ths, an economy car in which the main objective is price point, is not even a consideration.

OP, if you like the Corolla and it meets your wants and needs, then it's a good choice.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
If I'm going to be pushing past 8-10ths, an economy car in which the main objective is price point, is not even a consideration.

OP, if you like the Corolla and it meets your wants and needs, then it's a good choice.

Emergency handling is not a concern?

Stunning!

But typical of Camry Corolla drivers

Originally Posted By: planeman223
You should almost never need everything the car can muster, unless you're on a track.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I just bought an SE Camry, and while I don't need to drive at "8/10" like the hero drivers I find the car corners flat and the rear wheels track the front nicely. Brakes are also very good. I'll gladly trade "2/10s" for the Bust My Wallet repair bills.

+1

The Corolla is a fine car, I hope you enjoy it !

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I'm a driver and I'm passing you slow, sleepy unengaged turtles on my commute, sometimes enter off ramp at over 90MPH.

Wow. I'm usually in the fast lane passing the slow, distracted drivers... but I haven't entered an off ramp at 90 mph. Probably not the wisest, have fun in jail.

Originally Posted By: planeman223
Good Day BITOG,

Looking for recommendations/advice on the 1.8 Corolla engine/vehicle. The local dealer has leftover 2017 1.8L Corollas in the 6mt variation that are surprisingly quite fun to drive. If anyone has one, I'd love to get your feedback on whether to pursue this further or keep looking.
Thanks!

The Corolla SE is a surprisingly fun car to drive with the MT (I never thought that I would EVER say that about a Corolla). You also get the benefits of outstanding fuel mileage, near-bulletproof reliability, and excellent service life. The tires they put on this car at the factory let it down somewhat. When you eventually have to replace the tires, buy something better. In the mean time bump the tire pressure up a little from the factory recommendation (3-4 lbs all around) and the handling, braking, tire wear, and mileage will ALL improve. Check your tire pressure monthly, don't wait for the warning light to come on!
Another poster mentioned the reduced resale value when the car is equipped with a manual transmission. While this is a fact, you should not purchase a car with a manual transmission if you intend to turn it over quickly. It should be purchased with the intention of driving it until the wheels fall off. In the case of a Corolla, you will likely get tired of the car long before you wear it out if you take good care of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm a driver and I'm passing you slow, sleepy unengaged turtles on my commute, sometimes enter off ramp at over 90MPH.

Wow. I'm usually in the fast lane passing the slow, distracted drivers... but I haven't entered an off ramp at 90 mph. Probably not the wisest, have fun in jail.

Traffic flow on I 93 is typically 85 in the fast lane and 70 in the slow lane. Somtimes you get in a pickle near an exit.
Jail? for what?

Before State Cops had fast cars, I would just drop down to third and say bye bye to the Blue lights. what Id do today depends on the mood of the day. ive had them buzz me BC I was being "naughty" but they never hit the blues.

Getting on a speedy interstate at 45 is moronic - not driving within 10mph of the flow. wonder why there is congestion at exits and on ramps? Slow Morons.

If you feel the Corolla SE 6MT is fun to drive then, by every [professional] account I have read, the new Civic has a chassis that is noticeably better. It can be had with a 6MT and an equally reliable 2.0L I4. If fun-to-drive is important, you could be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check it out.

Traffic flow on I 93 is typically 85 in the fast lane and 70 in the slow lane. Somtimes you get in a pickle near an exit.
Jail? for what?

Before State Cops had fast cars, I would just drop down to third and say bye bye to the Blue lights. what Id do today depends on the mood of the day. ive had them buzz me BC I was being "naughty" but they never hit the blues.

Getting on a speedy interstate at 45 is moronic - not driving within 10mph of the flow. wonder why there is congestion at exits and on ramps? Slow Morons.

I agree, and hate the people who enter the highway at 45mph. Very unsafe.

Most of the off-ramps here have a 25 mph or 30 mph speed limit. I know because I got pulled over once for doing 40 mph.

Doing 90 mph in a 25 mph off-ramp would be 65 mph over the limit, and likely considered reckless driving.

Eh? You should head down to 495, been more than a few times where the fast lane is 65 and the breakdown lane is 80. Edit: on I93 that is.

There are some on-ramps in MA which are horrifically short, and my old Camry does make question if I did get too little car.

Yep, too many slow pokes have no idea how to merge. Different rant though.

Last edited:
I'm on my second Toyota Corolla. I haven't worn them out I just got tired of driving the same car after 12 or more years and gave it to the step son. It had 130,000 miles on it when I gifted it to him. He drove it another 5 years with very irregular maintenance then wondered why the best car he ever had died in his words. Its hard to go wrong with a Corolla.

Last edited:
I rent the Corolla with frequency. I'm not convinced they are a good deal. As the next size up car can often be had for nearly the same price and has far better resale. In particular, I don't find them pleasant to drive, as they are a bit tinny, not particularly comfortable and don't corner all that well. Because I spend a lot of seat-time in rental cars, I tend to know what I need. I will avoid a Corolla if long trips are required for the above mentioned reasons.

I suggest looking into the Accord Sport with 4cyl + manual transmission as an alternative. It's twice the car, and significantly more comfortable. I'm very, very impressed by it. Can often be found with steep discounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back