2017 Camry Make Sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
http://www.highya.com/truecar-reviews?page=1

Noticed several people mention True Car. I'm reading an article, and the associated remarks by people who have tried to use True Car pricing certificates at dealerships. Pretty interesting reading. Good luck with your search.

TrueCar seems like the old vehix.com, which was marketed heavily by the cable companies. When friends ask me for new car buying advice, one of the first things I will ask them is if they are members with AAA, Costco, USAA or a credit union. And if not, I tell them to call the internet/fleet person at the dealer.

My son bought a 2017 Camry SE a couple of weeks ago. Black on black. Got a great deal. He really likes the car, the other choice was an Accord. The 2017 Camry is a proven design, port injection, 6 speed auto trans, which was his main reason for picking the Camry over the Accord with a CVT and DI. He wanted the SE with the alloy rims, vs the LE with the steel rims. If you want a proven design, I don't think you can go too far astray with the 17 Camry. Time will tell with the 2018's, but I don't think you will get any deals on a 2018 for a while.

Originally Posted By: I_4
My son bought a 2017 Camry SE a couple of weeks ago. Black on black. ... The 2017 Camry is a proven design, port injection, 6 speed auto trans, which was his main reason for picking the Camry over the Accord with a CVT and DI. He wanted the SE with the alloy rims, vs the LE with the steel rims. If you want a proven design, I don't think you can go too far astray with the 17 Camry.

Exactly !!
I tip my hat to your son.
The black with alloy rims looks good, and the MPI engine with regular 6 speed auto is a proven design with no issues.

I bet he has a full sized spare tire too, I don't like space savers.

He should get years of trouble free service out of that car.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Originally Posted By: SF0059

If you are trying to talk yourself into a Camry because your head is saying yes and your heart is saying no, then don't do it. Life's too short to drive something that you are completely ambivalent about.

These are wise words. Better to get something you actually like/want and will keep. Don't buy it just because it's a good deal. In a year or so you won't even remember the extra $4k. Id keep saving and eventually pay cash for a car you love.

^This

Life is too short to drive something you don't enjoy.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: Delta
Doubt it. No issues what so-ever with our 15' which was the first year of the re-design. They all share alot of the same architecture so to say. Would be no worries about the 18'.

Fuel mileage isn't that spectacular in the Camry. It's leveled out to about 30-31 overall in ours. I mean my GTI is constantly getting 34 and higher, making it the better road trip car...

To be fair, the 2016 Tacoma redesign has had quite a few issues. Its not beyond Toyota to have issues with a new model (as I thought it was before almost buying a Tacoma). Of course the Camry is probably one of their bread+butter models, so hopefully they pay more attention to it.

I think the issue is that in the past the Japanese brands really didn't change much for every refresh. They kept things pretty much the same mechanically with a few styling and interior changes. Now the customers want the latest tech gadgets and new redesigns are having issues perfecting the latest technology.

Delta must be speaking of the mid model facelift in his note. The full redesign is on the 2018 and we'll know by 2018 how the reliability is shaking out.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: Delta
Doubt it. No issues what so-ever with our 15' which was the first year of the re-design. They all share alot of the same architecture so to say. Would be no worries about the 18'.

Fuel mileage isn't that spectacular in the Camry. It's leveled out to about 30-31 overall in ours. I mean my GTI is constantly getting 34 and higher, making it the better road trip car...

To be fair, the 2016 Tacoma redesign has had quite a few issues. Its not beyond Toyota to have issues with a new model (as I thought it was before almost buying a Tacoma). Of course the Camry is probably one of their bread+butter models, so hopefully they pay more attention to it.

I think the issue is that in the past the Japanese brands really didn't change much for every refresh. They kept things pretty much the same mechanically with a few styling and interior changes. Now the customers want the latest tech gadgets and new redesigns are having issues perfecting the latest technology.

If all you need is a reliable inexpensive car that should last for a very long time with minimal upkeep and get you where you need to go when you need to get there, it would be downright silly to get anything else.

OTOH, if you need more out of a car (fun to drive, MT, more get up and go, additional bells and whistles) and can afford the extra money it would be downright silly to get the Camry.

We can give you our needs and what it would take to satisfy ourselves, but you have to make the decision. The only thing I'll add is that you may be having doubts that the Camry would be sufficient for your needs. It probably means that you would not be happy with the Camry.

Originally Posted By: SR5
My son bought a 2017 Camry SE a couple of weeks ago. Black on black. ... The 2017 Camry is a proven design, port injection, 6 speed auto trans, which was his main reason for picking the Camry over the Accord with a CVT and DI. He wanted the SE with the alloy rims, vs the LE with the steel rims. If you want a proven design, I don't think you can go too far astray with the 17 Camry.

Exactly !!
The black with alloy rims looks good, and the MPI engine with regular 6 speed auto is a proven design with no issues.

My 2011, even with base 16" wheels, uses a space saver. After getting a flat I tried to put the (flat) full size into the trunk. No go.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: SR5

Exactly !!

My 2011, even with base 16" wheels, uses a space saver. After getting a flat I tried to put the (flat) full size into the trunk. No go.
frown.gif

Drat !!

We still get a full sized spare in Oz.

I've just checked the Australian web site, the base model spare is 215/60 R16 95V (steel), the next level up gets a 215/55 R17 94V alloy spare.

The '09 Camry SE convinced me of the durability of the model. The '16 SE replacement when the '09 was totaled is a great car. I'm after a used LE. Camrys are boring to drive. But I'm getting too stiff to constantly car crawl under a 30 yr old BMW.

Update. Ended up with one of the few available Mazda 6 Sports with a manual transmission. Haven't found one available locally in a long time, so the dealer is sourcing it from one of their network dealers in California. Wife was going to have a manual car no matter what, and by getting the Mazda, I'm able to convince her to get rid of her PITA Volvo S40 that I have to work on while paying 4 times what parts are worth. Happy wife, happy life is a major factor in the decision process.

Price of the Mazda was less than the Camry if you are able to suspend reality and ignore the dealer PACs and doc fee. With everything factored in, it was close to the Camry SE in price, maybe a few hundred more. I might have eliminated the extra fees if I bought it out of state, but probably would have paid more in the base cost.

Bless her heart for insisting on a clutch! If my left knee wasn't on its way out I'd still be driving one. Great choice, I'm glad she will be pleased.

Amen, brother. I like to tell her she insists on a manual because it's hard to drive around in the wrong gear in an automatic. She tells me one of the reasons she wants manual is because the current batch of car thieves are too lazy to learn to drive them and won't steal them.

It's getting near impossible to find a manual transmission car anymore in a mid-sized sedan. Most models aren't available with a manual, and the ones that are aren't often in the dealerships. I've got my fun drivers with manual trannys ('97 C2500 HD and '02 Z28) so it would have been pretty selfish of me to effectively force her into an auto for the family car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back