2017 BMW 330xi loaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
They don't make the 335i anymore, do they?

No. The N55 six has been replaced with the B58. Likewise, the N20 four has been replaced by the B46. The B series motors are modular in the sense that the engines all have identical cylinder spacing as well well as bore and stroke(500cc per cylinder). This allows three, four, and six cylinder engines-gas or diesel-to be built on the same assembly line.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: chrisri
...Alfa Giulia...diesel...

I can see you're an "expert" on Alfa Diesels. So we should disregard owner opinion (who also owns and track e46 M3 and E36 M3 and have f30 BMW) over a guy with convertible VW.
This is sport saloon topic, it's not about Passats.

Nice review, thanks. A guy over here have the F30 (prefacelift) and a Alfa Giulia, both top of the range diesels.

He says Giulia is dynamically two generations ahead. And guy is not an idiot, real petrol head, owner of e46 M and e36 M.

It got high marks in Top Gear this last season.

I can see you're an "expert" on Alfa Diesels. So we should disregard owner opinion (who also owns and track e46 M3 and E36 M3 and have f30 BMW) over a guy with convertible VW.

L O L
O
L

U mad, bro?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

L O L
O
L

U mad, bro?
please be nice man, let's keep this thread going with good constructive vibes. Thanks
smile.gif

Alfa Giulia Breaks Down In The Middle of Track Battle With BMW And Mercedes-Benz
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio vs. 2017 BMW M3, 2017 Cadillac ATS-V, 2017 Mercedes-AMG C63 S

Relevant quote from the CD article:
Quote:
Another reminder that we were in an Italian car hit us when we briefly warmed up the Giulia using the remote-start feature. After we entered the car and pushed the start button, the Alfa died. A quick restart illuminated the check-engine light and brought up two messages: “Service Electronic Throttle Control” and “Service Engine.” The Giulia still drove, but it wouldn’t move out of its low-boost advanced-efficiency mode. Fortunately, at the next stop, our always prepared assistant technical editor, David Beard, plugged in his OBD II scanner and cleared the codes. It cured the Alfa, but the fault returned when, in the interest of science, we tried remote-starting the car again. Alfa should include an OBD II scanner as standard equipment, and customers should consider themselves part of the development team.

Consumer Reports’ 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Basically Lives In The Dealer Service Bay

All I'm saying is, I don't care what his opinion is. He bought an Alfa Romeo; of course he's going to tell you he loves it. Even as it sits at the dealer waiting on repairs and MASSIVE depreciation. Even with it's shoddy build quality and poor materials.

It's an Alfa. They're all great to drive, but they're junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Giulia is lovely, but I still have seen a grand total of ONE on the street, and it wasn't even red, it was dark metallic gray.

After reading this thread yesterday, I saw two i3's near UC and the "pill hill" cluster of hospitals. Skinny tires on those things...

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
(Here's a link to Car & Driver's article on the 2019 3-series, and why its worth the wait: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-2019-bmw-3-series-is-a-car-worth-waiting-for-feature )

Not seeing anything concrete in this article that would be definitely worth the wait, but yeah, you would expect a newer platform to be better than the old one. BMW really lost some of the sporty fun to drive factor in recent years in order to appeal to the masses and increase revenue.

As for price, I looked at it recently. You could get a 340i for around $50k if you don't go crazy with the options. Skip the xDrive.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BMW really lost some of the sporty fun to drive factor in recent years in order to appeal to the masses and increase revenue.

As for price, I looked at it recently. You could get a 340i for around $50k if you don't go crazy with the options. Skip the xDrive.

A RWD 340i manual with the Track Handling Package(M Adaptive suspension, Variable Sport Steering, and M Sport brakes) and the M Performance Power and Sound Kit is an absolute riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back