2016 Nissan Frontier v6 - factory fill 22K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As title says. I have a neighbor who asked me to help him this morning. Truck is 11 months old, 22k and never had an oil change! He pulls a trailer with lawn equipment 5 days a week.......

I'll be cutting that filter later today and posting. Stand by.....

Wonder what the oil looks like. You should also check the level on the dipstick before you drain it to see if it's down a quart or more.

Can you take a pic of the FF oil on the disptick before you drain it?

I'm also debating in my head how to do this without insulting him. If he asks why I am taking pictures, what do you say?

Last edited:
"It might be a record run"
wink.gif

Just take the filter and oil with you for proper disposal, since you've got some of your own to recycle.

Documenting it just in case it comes back to bite me?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I'm also debating in my head how to do this without insulting him. If he asks why I am taking pictures, what do you say?

One further thought:

I would personally not do this work. His lack of concern for maintenance makes me wonder if he's the sort who will blame you if something goes wrong in the near future.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
One further thought:

I would personally not do this work. His lack of concern for maintenance makes me wonder if he's the sort who will blame you if something goes wrong in the near future.

Good point. I have known him for about 4 years, he seems very honest and forthright. He knows he screwed up in this case, it just got away from him. I'll make it perfectly clear and educate him on why the oil should be changed. I'll also tell him I won't be responsible. This is on him.....

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
One further thought:

I agree 100%

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Show him HIS Owners Manual (oil change requirements)

Already did that. I showed him the requirements. He knows.....

We looked at the manually last night so I could check viscosity chart and fill capacity. That's when I saw he bought only 5 quarts. I guess I am donating a half quart. He is doing all my bushes and mulch as trade!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Have the owner actually do the work. You just supervise. That way you didn't touch it.

That's exactly what I am doing. He wants to learn.

Did he remember to keep the oil level between the marks on the dipstick? If he forgot about the oil for that long, wondering if he remembered to check his level!
Level is the real danger. Going 11 months and 22k is really not as bad as people think, as he obviously always got to operating temperature (not cold short trips).

Any chance you can capture some used oil, mid-stream, into a clean jam jar, and then get a Blackstone UOA kit? (Don't let it touch your old drain pan.)
And of course, cut and check the oil filter for tears, after that many miles, maybe the paper media OE filter couldn't handle it.

Pushing the limits are the most telling times.

I doubt the engine is hurt much at all as long as the oil level was maintained up.

Like others above have said, its risky to work on somebody else's car since they could blame you, but this is SIMPLE, and the SuperTech oil is a good choice. Not a Fram Ultra oil filter though, sad.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back