2016-2020 (4th Gen) Yukons

I’ve always thought the 4th gen Yukons looked amazing and they have something I really like… column gear shifter.

I’m curious about reliability though. If I ever got one it would be a RWD… I have no need for 4x4 and prefer slightly better MPG.

I don’t like how the 3rd gen Yukons look and I don’t like how newer Yukons look so it would have to be a 16-20.

I don’t know what model years are affected but watch out for those AFM engines that shut off half the cyls I have heard of a lot of problems with them. I have MDS on the Hemi in my 07 Jeep & haven’t had trouble with it but some have. Currently at 123,000 miles.

Get a 2018 or 2019. Avoid the first of the production run and also the last. The AFM stuff was mostly resolved also.

Our work vehicles are a mix of Tahoes and Suburbans of that generation, and they've been impressively reliable. The brakes don't tolerate abuse as much as I'd like, but if you're not driving them exceptionally hard, I don't think it would be an issue.

As LouC said, the AFM issues are common, but I haven't seen it crop up within our fleet. With that said, they're gone by around ~100K miles.

Unless you have 4 kids or do a lot of towing, what's the appeal of these. I've had a few older ones but don't think I'd want to daily drive it, gas mileage not withstanding.
I’ve owned many GMT400s and a single GMT800. I just like driving full size SUVs. There’s no practical reason except occasionally moving large items but I’ve found renting a U-Haul for a day here and there is working out OK for now.

I would have to think that a rear wheel drive would be very affordable. Most people want 4x4 utility type vehicles. I have a buddy of mine that has one and he hasn't had any problems with the AFM and is at about 110,000 miles and still going strong.

I would have to think that a rear wheel drive would be very affordable. Most people want 4x4 utility type vehicles. I have a buddy of mine that has one and he hasn't had any problems with the AFM and is at about 110,000 miles and still going strong.
Hmm, that’s my thing, a lot of these I’m seeing in the ~80K mile range so I am trying to determine if 150K without engine or trans repairs is reasonable.

Hmm, that’s my thing, a lot of these I’m seeing in the ~80K mile range so I am trying to determine if 150K without engine or trans repairs is reasonable.
Go by the condition. I had a 2005 Ford F-150 4x4 that looked almost new inside and out with 225,000 miles. Its was very well cared for. It's all about looking in great condition instead of beat like a rented mule. I had a pile of maintenance receipts with the truck when I purchased it with 185,000. No problems with that truck at all and I miss it.

Many of those large GM SUV's rack up some impressive miles before going to the salvage yard. I don't think they're as bad as some people think.

Says someone (me) that manages a law enforcement fleet that encompasses Chevrolet Tahoes, Suburbans, and GMC Yukons. They are used as Patrol Units, K9 Units, and Executive Staff vehicles respectively. 6k intervals with bulk 0W20 oil.

Back