2015 MB G Class G 550 Salvage (Out of my price range)

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Very desirable by a small cult following, a 2015 MB G Class G 550 will go to auction this Thursday in Portland, OR. Current bid is $4,025, I suspect this G Class will sell for over ten times the current bid.

The huge flag with this truck is the Seller is not a insurance company- monster flag.

32989436_1_I.jpeg
32989436_2_I.jpeg
32989436_3_I.jpeg
32989436_4_I.jpeg
32989436_5_I.jpeg
32989436_6_I.jpeg
32989436_7_I.jpeg
32989436_8_I.jpeg
32989436_10_I.jpeg

Are there any known past appearances of this vehicle at the auction, with pictures?
MR S,

I didn't want to spend the money on a epicvin report, which would more likely than not answer that question.

What are all the green markings in the engine bay?
Good question- I suspect something is not like or exactly where it is supposed to be. Looking closer, one will see green marks on the inside of the hood, etc.

I just don't see the appeal for those things. ***** is the only way I can describe them. I guess it's 'the emperor has no clothes' kind of thing. Are they still made in Austria by Steyr?
Not sure where they are made. The first time I was in one/ learned of this MB was a armored version of this in Afghanistan in 2002. Even then, the vehicle attracted a lot of attention.

I suspect professional athletes and the like are common buyers of this very pricey model. When people hear a track salvage vehicle auctions, people sometimes mention this model to me "if I ever come across one".

MR S,

I didn't want to spend the money on a epicvin report, which would more likely than not answer that question.
Wasn't sure if you'd already seen it up for auction before. Something like this could always be for two reasons (and there's more...)

1) Someone bought it from an insurance company and then realized it was way worse than expected... and are flipping it to try and get their money back.

2) Someone bought it and then spent as little as possible to make it look as good as possible... and are now flipping it to try and make a profit.

But yes... the seller not being an insurance company is a huge issue to be concerned about.

What's one of those sell for after it's been repaired? If it sells for $40 k then more money is put into it for repairs? Let's say $10 k.

Will a repaired one sell for over $50 with a salvage title?

I wish used G series were more affordable. I have heard that they are very capable off-road, and I'd love to have one that is mechanically sound and could be played with in the desert and the mountains. But who can justify taking one on the trail, when they cost as much as they do?

I wish used G series were more affordable. I have heard that they are very capable off-road, and I'd love to have one that is mechanically sound and could be played with in the desert and the mountains. But who can justify taking one on the trail, when they cost as much as they do?
Could always buy a Euro spec diesel one! They are good off road for what they are, even the gussied-up ones sold here. Thought about one (US spec) for a split second, until I saw some show on TV that had one at some event disgorging a bunch of Kardashians. That was it for me...and why I generally avoid TV :D

Back on topic. This one? Economic disaster....just cannot see the numbers ever working assuming the car is sold honestly.

I just don't see the appeal for those things. I guess it's 'the emperor has no clothes' kind of thing. Are they still made in Austria by Steyr?
Yes, three locking diffs, and can be had with portal axles. Give me a Brabus tuned version in highlighter metallic yellow. With off road tires they're just about unstoppable. Unfortunately the yuppies that purchased them don't take them off road. However I spoke with a Sales associate a couple of years back and he had a Doctor (Surgeon) who takes his G Wagen mud bogging and rock crawling every weekend.

Missing a catalytic converter to top it off. I bet it was at All Pro Auto Body in Portland going by the key tag.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Insanely capable off-road. They are still made for military, and most Cebtral European militaries run Puch-G version with I believe detuned 2.7 5cyl diesel.
Basic mechanics is shared between Puch-G and MB. But, MB figured how to make insane amounts of money on these cars. Considering price, not sure who will take it off-roading b

These things are pretty common here, I saw a couple of them today. Not my cup of tea, I think they're pretty hideous. Give me a Wrangler.

Couldn't help myself and ordered the Epicvin report. No prior salvage sales revealed in the Epicvin report.

Two prior sales:
New at $126k in Arcadia, CA in 2015
Used at $46k, Ottertail, MN 18k miles

But the most unusual part of the above sales- this MB was sold at both dealers with white as the exterior color. Something seems disconnected.........

Epicvin states this vehicle (non-salvage) is worth $72k.

A friend of mines wife drives one. They enjoy it. He used to drive a cl63 amg, then a c300, subaru forester 2.0xt, now a wrx. Wild variance. The wrx was a 2fer. Bought one for his son and himself id they made a good deal.

I don't know about the white color, but I'd guess the 2015 sale was for a high school grad present to someone in San Marino. I remember seeing one (that color) driving around. Maybe he went to college and got something else when he graduated.

Back