2015 Honda Fit 10 month review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used 2013 Honda Fit Sport with 25K miles a couple of years ago and have put 40K miles on it.

My wife resells antiques and primitives and enjoys going on road trips to towns with flea markets etc..so we were looking for a high mpg car that could haul alot of cargo. The Fit has hauled an amazing amount of stuff over the years, the back seats fold down and the cargo area is pretty amazing for what it is.

Why did i get the Fit? Made in Japan, non direct injection, non cvt, non timing belt. Oil changes are easy to do as well.

What have i done in 40K miles? Front rotors- mine warped also. I changed them myself for about $80 to cheap advance auto rotors and havent had a problem since. Tires- the size is kind of oddball size so its nearly impossible to walk in to walmart or anywhere and get tires on the spot. I learned this the hard way. The factory dunlops are junk so once i switched to michelins all has been well.

If you live in a hot climate the small a/c struggles to keep the car cool.

Ergonomics- the layout of the gauges and cupholders and compartments are top notch. Actually its fun to drive and compfortable.

Verdict- My Fit gets about 34mpg average with each fillup. I calculated it for almost two years and it hovers around there without a flaw. I get compliments on the car from time to time because there arent many around, not many people have seen or heard of them. I get asked at the gas station all the time what kind of mpg im getting.. kind of gets old.

When i bought my Fit i could have gotten a brand new mexican fit for about $5K more..it was tempting but glad i bought the Japanese Fit.

My Honda days are about over I think. The best honda I had was a 1997 Accord Special Edition I wish i never would have gotten rid of that car with almost 400K miles..it was a [censored] good car. My mom bought a 1998 Accord V6 based on my accord and it was powerful but the body and transmission were junk. I had a 2012 Honda Ridgeline that was OK. the gas mileage was bad, not alot of power, i didnt like it enough to do the timing belt change so i sold it. My mother recently picked up a 2009 Honda Accord that has 24K miles on it. I assume it will be an oil burner at a later date..but is fine for what she does.

My wife wants to drive to Florida this winter..which is about 1000 miles. I wont be taking the Fit. Its perfect for around town and local commuting, but long hauls are really long and tiresome in my Fit.

So it has served its purpose in what we needed at sacrifice of ride quality and cabin noise..nitpicky i know but just not worth the 30mpg

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I bought a used 2013 Honda Fit Sport with 25K miles a couple of years ago and have put 40K miles on it.

My wife resells antiques and primitives and enjoys going on road trips to towns with flea markets etc..so we were looking for a high mpg car that could haul alot of cargo. The Fit has hauled an amazing amount of stuff over the years, the back seats fold down and the cargo area is pretty amazing for what it is.

Why did i get the Fit? Made in Japan, non direct injection, non cvt, non timing belt. Oil changes are easy to do as well.

What have i done in 40K miles? Front rotors- mine warped also. I changed them myself for about $80 to cheap advance auto rotors and havent had a problem since. Tires- the size is kind of oddball size so its nearly impossible to walk in to walmart or anywhere and get tires on the spot. I learned this the hard way. The factory dunlops are junk so once i switched to michelins all has been well.

If you live in a hot climate the small a/c struggles to keep the car cool.

Ergonomics- the layout of the gauges and cupholders and compartments are top notch. Actually its fun to drive and compfortable.

Verdict- My Fit gets about 34mpg average with each fillup. I calculated it for almost two years and it hovers around there without a flaw. I get compliments on the car from time to time because there arent many around, not many people have seen or heard of them. I get asked at the gas station all the time what kind of mpg im getting.. kind of gets old.

When i bought my Fit i could have gotten a brand new mexican fit for about $5K more..it was tempting but glad i bought the Japanese Fit.

My Honda days are about over I think. The best honda I had was a 1997 Accord Special Edition I wish i never would have gotten rid of that car with almost 400K miles..it was a [censored] good car. My mom bought a 1998 Accord V6 based on my accord and it was powerful but the body and transmission were junk. I had a 2012 Honda Ridgeline that was OK. the gas mileage was bad, not alot of power, i didnt like it enough to do the timing belt change so i sold it. My mother recently picked up a 2009 Honda Accord that has 24K miles on it. I assume it will be an oil burner at a later date..but is fine for what she does.

My wife wants to drive to Florida this winter..which is about 1000 miles. I wont be taking the Fit. Its perfect for around town and local commuting, but long hauls are really long and tiresome in my Fit.

So it has served its purpose in what we needed at sacrifice of ride quality and cabin noise..nitpicky i know but just not worth the 30mpg

Our Fit get's well over 40mpg on the highway and lower 30's in town. I have no complaints about that. The CVT is annoying when needing quick acceleration. The downshifts are slushy and lack the snap of a traditional auto. Really will do my best to avoid any more CVT's if possible. You are right about the A/C. On a hot day it strains to keep the car cool enough. The space inside? Yes, it is pretty neat how such a small car on the outside turns into a roomy one on the inside.
That's surprising you didn't care much for the Ridgeline. Mine has been a very nice vehicle. No, the mpg's aren't stellar, but I think it does fine. I tow my 21 ft. fishing boat with it and it does much better than I expected. It's no heavy duty pickup for sure...but it's done everything I need it to do with confidence. The new Ridgeline? No thanks. Kind of plain looking and wimpy. Costly thing as well considering it's no where near as capable as a full size pickup that can be had for the same (or less) dollars.
My 1 year old Civic has been a decent ride so far. Not the best looking car, but it handles well and has a better CVT than the Fit. Great mpg's also. But the more I look around I think I would have liked some other non-Honda cars better.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Corolla over the Civic? I suppose the Corolla would be softer even than the Civic though. More comfort for a commuter maybe but I'm a confirmed Honda lover for that role. Thank you for the input.

Well....yes. The Corolla rides smoother and gentler. No, not as sporty as the Fit, but Honda has always thought sporty means a rough ride.
Also, the L model of the Corolla still has a traditional auto transmission available. That might (and I repeat...MIGHT) make it more reliable than my CVT in the long run.
Lastly, the Honda has direct injection and the Corolla does not. That COULD also be a long-term concern.
Really, I hope my Fit proves reliable in the long run. I'll be satisfied. I will however change out the tires when needed for a smoother rolling, more quiet ride.

I have not read one review that suggest the Fit rides decent on the highway. Quite the opposite-most reviewers say it makes a less than pleasant highway cruiser.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I have not read one review that suggest the Fit rides decent on the highway. Quite the opposite-most reviewers say it makes a less than pleasant highway cruiser.

The Fit is.. exhausting... to drive on the highway in my opinion. With the electric steering it is way too "twitchy" feeling.

Needed new tires on the Fit. Ordered some Michelin Premier A/S from Costco and had them installed. The idiots left a ton of tire mounting "goop" all over the tires and rims. Also over inflated all four tires by 5 lbs.
The Fit really hasn't rode much better or quieter since installing the new tires. Also notice some front end clunking now and need to take it back in to the dealer to see what this new noise is. I'm thinking either a wheel bearing or a shock is loose/worn.

VERY much disappointed in this car now and am wishing we never purchased it.

Last entry (if anybody cares).

Knocking sounds in the front were from improperly replaced bolts on the calipers (dealership).

New whining sound coming from a/c, heater compressor. Told it was rusted and sound indicated replacement needed ($2500).

Did NOT replace it....got the vehicle back and plan on dumping it in the spring and getting a Toyota.

Did I mention that after owning ten Honda vehicles, I'm now done with them?

Did I mention that after owning ten Honda vehicles, I'm now done with them?

Well, you lasted a long time.
smile.gif

After owning one Honda vehicle, I'm now done with them.

The Fit has gotten mediocre reviews since it came out. It's a very basic Econo box. But the Honda faithful will buy anything with a Honda badge.

Every single review I have read states what a LOUSY highway cruiser they are.

I guess for a short city commute-they are exceptionable.

Last edited:
Just got the Consumer Reports buying guide the other day. I don't remember seeing any Hondas or Acuras on the recommended list. A new Accord wasn't available for testing. Another section listed pros and cons of each new vehicle. Under cons for most of the Hondas/Acuras was "reliability".

I purchased two new Hondas. A 1994 Civic coupe and a 1999 Accord coupe and liked them both esp the Accord. Switched to Toyotas mainly because of the buying experience with the Toyota dealer was so much better and easier. Service dept at the Honda dealer was very good.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Just got the Consumer Reports buying guide the other day. I don't remember seeing any Hondas or Acuras on the recommended list. A new Accord wasn't available for testing. Another section listed pros and cons of each new vehicle. Under cons for most of the Hondas/Acuras was "reliability".

I purchased two new Hondas. A 1994 Civic coupe and a 1999 Accord coupe and liked them both esp the Accord. Switched to Toyotas mainly because of the buying experience with the Toyota dealer was so much better and easier. Service dept at the Honda dealer was very good.

Well, I've been very much into Honda products most of my life. Almost every Honda I've had has been very satisfying. My current Ridgeline is an example...I love that thing. My Civic coupe? It's been okay. Only a minor interior issue so far. Not sure I like it's looks anymore. The CVT is weird, but better by far than the Fit.

I honestly think that Honda has lowered it's standards due to lean manufacturing as well as it's goals of profitability. I really have no idea, but after owning the Fit....I am convinced that at least this particular model is a total piece of garbage that Honda should be ashamed to sell.

If anyone buys a car like Fit with the expectation that it should be a good highway cruiser, I think they should have their head examined.

I honestly think that Honda has lowered it's standards due to lean manufacturing as well as it's goals of profitability. I really have no idea, but after owning the Fit....I am convinced that at least this particular model is a total piece of garbage that Honda should be ashamed to sell.

I think there was a huge amount of pressure on suppliers to produce cheaper parts. Toyota and other manufacturers did this as well. Factor in new technology which makes them more complicated. Toyota isn't perfect by any means but I'm not itching to get away from them either.

In the midsize category the Camry came in first followed by the Legacy then the Kia Optima. Surprisingly the Sonata was maybe 7th, 8th something like that. Still on the recommended list I believe. About the first 8 cars in that category were all recommended.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

If anyone buys a car like Fit with the expectation that it should be a good highway cruiser, I think they should have their head examined.

Well...there are owners who insist they are good highway cruisers. Some have kids. When I read this-I just tell them next time to rent a mini-van for their next substantial highway trip, and then get back to me.

Last edited:
They are a car....that's about it. It will do fine on the highway if you don't mind road noise and wind buffeting. They will get exceptional mpg's as well on the highway. But are they ideal for an interstate cruiser? No, of course not. But then again, It's all up to what a person perceives as adequate.

Today, while driving the Fit.......I had my last and FINAL STRAW with the car.

The last repair to the car did ZIP to fix the annoying front end thunking. It's happening again. But that wasn't enough to really bug me. Three times today while driving my wife around, the stupid thing would not start! It had a dash warning about a starting system problem! It just refuses to turn over about 40% of the time. I was TICKED! We took it back to the dealer even though it was a Sunday. Told them how awful the car has been and that it was not a vehicle my wife should drive due to reliability concerns. They told me they would fix it (at a cost of course...warranty expired) and give me a free loaner. My wife and I discussed it and decided to trade it in on a newer used car. Our sales lady was great and we found a really nice 2016 Toyota Rav4 with only 10k miles on it. We drove it and it was extremely nice riding and highly comfortable. Actually, everything about the Rav4 was to our liking. We bought it....and as a side bit of precaution.....I also purchased a 7 year, 100k warranty this time.

Good riddance Honda Fit!!!

Congrats!

Out here, you would get none of this done today as no dealer is open an a Sunday.

No car dealer is open on Sunday here either.

Today, while driving the Fit.......I had my last and FINAL STRAW with the car.

The last repair to the car did ZIP to fix the annoying front end thunking. It's happening again. But that wasn't enough to really bug me. Three times today while driving my wife around, the stupid thing would not start! It had a dash warning about a starting system problem! It just refuses to turn over about 40% of the time. I was TICKED! We took it back to the dealer even though it was a Sunday. Told them how awful the car has been and that it was not a vehicle my wife should drive due to reliability concerns. They told me they would fix it (at a cost of course...warranty expired) and give me a free loaner. My wife and I discussed it and decided to trade it in on a newer used car. Our sales lady was great and we found a really nice 2016 Toyota Rav4 with only 10k miles on it. We drove it and it was extremely nice riding and highly comfortable. Actually, everything about the Rav4 was to our liking. We bought it....and as a side bit of precaution.....I also purchased a 7 year, 100k warranty this time.

Good riddance Honda Fit!!!

The Honda Fit caused....well a FIT!!
smirk.gif

Last edited:

I totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back