2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l Automatic - Spill & Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe your transmission and the one in my 2017 Explorer, 6F35, were a joint development between Ford and GM, so they are very similar. Like yours mine does not have a dip stick just an easy to reach fill and an easy to reach drain plug at the bottom of the transmission. And yes the plug looks more like something you'd see in doing plumbing work. I found it's super easy to accurately change the ATF by driving the Explorer up onto ramps and let it sit overnight and drain cold the fluid into a bucket with quantity amount marks on the inside of the bucket, $1.67 at WM
grin.gif
. I take off the fill cap before draining so the fluid will drain faster. Put the drain plug back in with a heat and oil resistant thread sealant on the top threads and refill the same amount cold that came out cold. It works and it's so incredibly easy to do. You don't have to worry about trying to adjust for the thermal expansion of the hot fluid versus the "cold" new fluid being added without having a dip stick to measure with. Plus it's done in one easy step.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back