2013 Elantra 55k miles of using Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own, i guess. My time and money, and I'm not worried about it. If the car gets totaled on my way home tonight, so be it. It's just life. I'll buy another, and start the process over again lol

FWIW, I have no plans of ever selling the car. Within the next two years I plan on buying a new one, and keeping this as the daily. No car payments, plus known good service history=a great car to daily drive with a toy car in the garage for the weekends

I used to enjoy waxing a car's finish. Haven't lately wanted to that much. Rain Dance car wax in the 70's, then on to other brands through the 00's.

Mazzella, move to a Mobil1 0w-40 on that ride, and add some Lubegard Biotech and see if that doesn't quiet those hydrualic valve lash adjusters (seals them up so they don't keep bleeding down). It might work.

Last edited:
I'm running pennzoil platinum and ultra in our elantra. So far it has been a great car. Running ultra filters , no more noise than factory.

I run 5w 20 in the winter, drain it before summer so not sure how many miles , then i go 7500 on 5w-30 .

Last edited:
More power to you, brother. Ensuring my cars have been well maintained, even if it might be overkill to others, is one less thing I have to worry about out of the innumerable concerns in life. And I only stick to 5k OCIs
smile.gif

You never agreed to send me the oil yet. Please tell me you will send it. I will put it to good use. Promise

Nice car

Excessive maintenance doesn't make your car invulnerable. Although 5-7.5k miles OCI is a sweet spot for DI engines, do whatever makes you happy.

Mailing that oil will cost almost as much as new oil costs. How close are you to the Commodore Barry Bridge? I have a car I only put used oil in.

Originally Posted By: Mazzella1992
Thanks guys. And I assure you i'm not trolling lol. I have a stack of service records and receipts about 4" thick for everything done to the car. Both maintenance and modifications. I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight if anybody seriously thinks I'm trolling. I really am, in every sense of the word, a nutjob when it comes to car care. I run a detail service as well. The car gets throughly detailed at least once a week, and when weather permits it typically gets a bath every two days. Undercarriage gets soaked in simple green at least once a week and hosed out. Engine gets cleaned once a week. Leather gets conditioned typically three times a week or so. wheels get pulled off every 10k miles so I can clean them from the backside, as well as degrease, and inspect all boots and brake lines, etc. Front bumper gets pulled off every few months to soak everything in simple green and clean away the accumulated bugs/dirt. People are gonna hate on me, I know. And I really don't care. I'll keep taking care of my vehicles the way I do, and everybody else can keep doing it the way they do. I would never expect ANYBODY to take care of a car the way I take care of this thing. But, they way I see it, I have the money, and time to do the things I do. I understand that not everybody does. Once again, I'm a self proclaimed nutjob when it comes to maintaining my vehicles.

Boy, for someone who's never posted on the forum before, you sure do sound familiar.

You're really worried how people are going to react to you, and are both defending and brushing off everything before anyone can even think it.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Mazzella1992
Thanks guys. And I assure you i'm not trolling lol. I have a stack of service records and receipts about 4" thick for everything done to the car. Both maintenance and modifications. I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight if anybody seriously thinks I'm trolling. I really am, in every sense of the word, a nutjob when it comes to car care. I run a detail service as well. The car gets throughly detailed at least once a week, and when weather permits it typically gets a bath every two days. Undercarriage gets soaked in simple green at least once a week and hosed out. Engine gets cleaned once a week. Leather gets conditioned typically three times a week or so. wheels get pulled off every 10k miles so I can clean them from the backside, as well as degrease, and inspect all boots and brake lines, etc. Front bumper gets pulled off every few months to soak everything in simple green and clean away the accumulated bugs/dirt. People are gonna hate on me, I know. And I really don't care. I'll keep taking care of my vehicles the way I do, and everybody else can keep doing it the way they do. I would never expect ANYBODY to take care of a car the way I take care of this thing. But, they way I see it, I have the money, and time to do the things I do. I understand that not everybody does. Once again, I'm a self proclaimed nutjob when it comes to maintaining my vehicles.

Absolutely trolling, and if not, completely asinine.

If you "have the money" why in the world would you buy a Hyundai?

Last edited:
Hey Mazz. I have a 2013 Sonata with 56k miles (brothers in spirit??
smile.gif
) and I too have heard the clacking noise. I've only heard it while starting the car and it's only happened 2 or 3 times for me during my cars entire lifetime.

I wonder if it is piston slap? I've only ever heard mine during the winter and I think you've mentioned it for the winter...

Like others have mentioned, OP definitely does an overkill job with maintenance and upkeep. Kudos to him. That will help the resale value and overall life of the vehicle.

However, aftermarket upgrades are completely opposite with resale value and sometimes longevity. You will always have a large market for ANY well-kept stock Elantra, but may only find a few willing to purchase a modified Elantra. There is a market, just have wait to find the right person.

In the end, it is just an Elantra, I hope Mazella will enjoy it for as long as he owns it.

P.S. all the Hyundai's and Kia's that I've worked on were noisy, especially on cold starts.
I used OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filters on each car all the way until the 60K mile warranty was up, and still get the same noise on start-up with the switch to aftermarket filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back