2013 Elantra 55k miles of using Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I have a 2013 Elantra with just under 55k miles on it now. Since day one the car has seen nothing but Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 I change the oil around every 2k miles, and before anybody says anything yes I know that this is grossly premature for this oil. However, I am a bit of a neat freak as these things go, and am rather OCD about keeping engines completely varnish and deposit free as possible. I use the used oil in either friends beaters, my lawn equipment, or it gets recycled. I recently had my local Hyundai dealer, at which I know the service manger do a tear down on the top end, and bottom end to inspect the cams, cam caps and bearings, timing chain, as well as
all of the main bearings on the bottom end, as I have been experiencing a little noise with the engine. These 1.8 NU engines are notorious for being horribly "agricultural sounding" and incredibly noisy at times on cold starts. You start them, and everything sounds fine. Then about 30 seconds or so later they start a rhythmic "clack clack clack clack" which subsides in a minute or so. Within the last year or so, my car developed a very noticeable and annoying "knock" for lack of a better word, when fully hot and idling. It would go away immediately after giving it any amount of revs. The weird thing is it was intermittent. It would come and go as it pleased. I had the dealer do a tear down on the main components and I just thought I would share my experience with you all after using Pennzoil Platinum. Long story short, the service manager told me that he has never seen an engine with 55k miles on it that was this pristine inside. Not just on a cleanliness level, but the fact that it looks as if its not even broken in yet. Now i'm fully aware that at my OCI's, pretty much any oil would do a great job. But my post has two main reasons. One to introduce myself to the many knowledgeable members of this site, and two, to let you know that this platinum really does seem to be an outstanding oil. I have a 2015 Acura MDX as well, that has seen 0w20 Platinum after I dumped the factory fill at around 3k miles.Had a 2006 Acura MDX before the RDX that lived a happy life on Platinum, and had about 150k miles on it when I sold it. I drive my cars hard, and none of them are exactly strangers to redline, and frequent spirited driving, as i tend to believe that giving the engine a good workout is far more beneficial to it then "babying" them, and never letting them stretch their legs. Now. My other question, is does anybody have any insight as to what the intermittent noise on my Elantra could be? It does not do it all the time. Sometimes its pretty quiet. Other times is sounds like a 1950's diesel tractor with no oil in it. My question is basically, is the engine is quite literally pristine internally, clearly this noise isn't hurting anything right? I will try to get a video of it making the noise if I can. The car burns zero oil, and runs perfectly. I'm not talking about the injector ticking noise. Its a distinct rhythmic "tack tack tack" that comes and goes as it pleases. The noise does seem to get louder when your underneath the car, which lead me to believe something was on its way out in the bottom end. But, with everything checking out good inside, and minimal deposits on the magnetic drain plug, what in [censored] sake could this noise be? any ideas anybody? Like I said, she runs like a top, and scoots out of its own way with no issues. It's not a fast car by any means, but it is fairly quick for what it is, and doesn't complain when you push it. I'm thinking it's possible that it might be a pinhole exhaust leak. The exhaust has been completely redone from the manifold back. Cat deleted, and all stainless steel straight piped back to a hollowed out muffler. SO is it possible that as the exhaust heats up, a weld is expanding, and causing a pinhole the become larger? I know sometimes exhaust leaks can certainly sound like internal noise. I guess my question really is, at this point, with nothing inside showing any signs of wear, should I just shut up about it and deal with it? Hahah. Here are a few pics of the car. Take care everybody.

welcome2.gif

You are gonna get flamed for the 2k OCI's but at least you are re-using the oil. You must really be anal about this car I can't believe you have the dealer tearing a 55k engine apart for a little noise, Hyundai/KIA's are notoriously a little "rackety" for lack of a better word.

Just leave the thing alone and drive it.

Welcome and enjoy the car.

Welcome to Bitog. Yes you'll probably get flamed for the short OCI's, I say it's your money do what you see fit with it!

Having said that there is a school of thought, and some research that says changing the oil too soon can actually increase wear. The oil according to this research needs to be in the sump longer than 2K miles to be at its best. If the dealer that tore the engine down mic'd things up and they were like new you might have debunked that school of thought and research. I had a hard time buying into it myself, but I leave my oil in the sump longer than you do.

that could be the Kia/Hyundai DI injectors clattering away. typical and unfortunate. post a video for better armchair discussions.

Last edited:
Hope you're changing the trans fluid at 5k, brake fluid every 10k, coolant every 20k, and on. Otherwise you're letting your OCD go to waste.

But seriously, it sounds like you have a problem. Neatness OCD and an aversion to paragraphs. Might be related, ironically.
We've got plenty of cheap oil currently, way to do your part in using it! (PS guys, 'recycling' means thrown out like normal used oil - he isn't 100% re-using it, it sounds like)

Welcome, I guess you'll fit right in.
How much did that OCD tear-down of your engine cost anyways?

Oh nice, a CAT delete. In addition to wasting oil, you're outputting extra emissions. For no reason. Thanks. I do believe tampering with federal emissions equipment is illegal. Better pixilate your plates.

Quite honestly, I don't really care what anybody has to say about my early OCI's. It's my choice to do them, just like it's anybody else's choice not to. As i clearly stated in my post, i'm well aware that it is not anywhere near necessary. And to be completely honest surfstar, the car has had 3 trans fluid changes, I change the brake fluid every year, and the coolant was done once at 19k miles, again at 40k miles, and I had the dealer do a full flush on it while it was there, because why not. I'm not exactly concerned with the money you think i am "wasting". My car, my choice. Flame on if you wish, but i'm not worried about a 27 dollar jug of oil and a 6 dollar filter. BTW the dealer good willed the tear down. so no out of pocket for me there

Edit: I've been pulled over more then a few times for tint when I had the fron windows blacked out, and gotten a few noise violation tickets for the exhaust. No cop has ever said anything about the exhaust other then noise. This car has a cat built into the manifold. The secondary cat is just there to have the car qualify has a PZEV. There is no sensor after it to even monitor the secondary cats efficiency. The car still has a cat, and will still pass NJ inspection. Nice try though, buddy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Hope you're changing the trans fluid at 5k, brake fluid every 10k, coolant every 20k, and on. Otherwise you're letting your OCD go to waste.

But seriously, it sounds like you have a problem. Neatness OCD and an aversion to paragraphs. Might be related, ironically.
We've got plenty of cheap oil currently, way to do your part in using it! (PS guys, 'recycling' means thrown out like normal used oil - he isn't 100% re-using it, it sounds like)

Welcome, I guess you'll fit right in.
How much did that OCD tear-down of your engine cost anyways?

Oh nice, a CAT delete. In addition to wasting oil, you're outputting extra emissions. For no reason. Thanks. I do believe tampering with federal emissions equipment is illegal. Better pixilate your plates.

being kinda hard on him bro..

I will say this after a zillion years in the engine business i have learned that sometimes the noisy engines run longer than the quiet ones.. I have heard many engines and i will say Hyundai and kia engines are not as quiet as most but they seem to run very good for a long time. I have a 2011 santa fe v6 that sounds like a diesel sometimes in the morning and sounded like that since day one now with 98,xxx miles it still runs the exact same way and has been very reliable and uses no oil at all so i would not worry to much about a little noise. Hyundai makes good vehicles.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

being kinda hard on him bro..

Yeah, but F people that think they're above all others. Deleting a CAT on a street driven car, with modern, federally mandated emissions equipment, is stupid. Look at VW
wink.gif

I'm also guessing he's born in 1992 (by the username) and super excited about his car. Maybe some harsh reality will get him to focus his OCD in more productive areas of life.

Besides the non-OEM stuff, I would love to buy a used car from someone half-as OCD as the OP. Very well-cared for. I don't like mod's though, on used cars.

welcome!

that is the nicest looking Elantra i have ever seen!

mb its just me but typically hyundai buyers are the people who never wash their cars

let me know when you want to sell it at 150k miles i may be interested

Beautiful Elantra and nice, tasteful upgrades.
thumbsup2.gif

I agree with the consensus on everything else.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
welcome2.gif

You are gonna get flamed for the 2k OCI's but at least you are re-using the oil. You must really be anal about this car I can't believe you have the dealer tearing a 55k engine apart for a little noise, Hyundai/KIA's are notoriously a little "rackety" for lack of a better word.

Just leave the thing alone and drive it.

Welcome and enjoy the car.

Well we said he'd get flamed! Tough crowd.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the compliments. She's my baby. Had it for going on four years this April. I plan on getting coils and lowing it about 2" this spring, I have more work into this car then I can remember. Car came with the grey cloth. I reupholstered everything to black leather, (no, not seat covers. Seats were stripped down to the metal frames and redone) full audio system with pioneer door speakers, tweeters, and two 12" alpines subs in a ported box in the trunk. 12 speaker total system. 8" built in navigation radio. The car is currently sitting on 18" Enkei GF1's. Every bulb on the car has been replaced with either LED or HID. PROPER hid retrofit headlights with proper beam cutoff. way too much stuff im forgetting. But yeah. Thanks guys

Last edited:
so, how did you handle the CAT delete specifically, a custom tune, or do you have a perpetual CEL?

the only implication here being that you are nuking the engine.

The car has a cat built into the manifold. The cat I deleted was the secondary cat. There are no sensors downstream of the secondary cat. The car has no idea that secondary cat is even there. It still has a cat built into the manifold. So I have no engine lights

My Jeep is similar - has two cats on the manifold with sensors. The computer doesn't know or care when the 3rd cat isn't there.

I know this because the cat removes itself every few months. No ... really ... the whole exhaust falls off once every other month.

I really like the wheels on your car. And the color is really nice too

Can you ship me that oil that you remove after 2k miles. I would appreciate it an not let it go to waste. I promise.

Anyway welcome to BITOG and enjoy your ride.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mazzella1992
And to be completely honest surfstar, the car has had 3 trans fluid changes, I change the brake fluid every year, and the coolant was done once at 19k miles, again at 40k miles, and I had the dealer do a full flush on it while it was there, because why not.

Stoooop dude. You're clearly trolling. This is a caricature of how normal people would see a BITOGer.
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back