2012 Honda Civic AT - Which Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no need for additive,
Honda has tranny issues for 6th gen accords they have since resolved it.

Just make sure you clean out the fluid stated in your owner manual . i believe its 60k?

z1 ( old atf ) was 30k, dw1 is 60 i believe.

Most people here are aghainst additive, buy a high quality ATF instaed.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Do you believe everything you read? LOL

If your Honda shifts correctly DO NOT USE ANY OTHER ADDITIVES.

If you insist on using something other than DW-1,
I'd suggest Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

You'll find many well respected individuals, including BITOG's very own Trav, who endorse Lubeguard Red after having success with the product.

I would use Maxlife if you plan on doing regular drain and fills. LG Red would be the one additive I would use, but if you do regular DF then you may not need it. DW-1 is ok but I have been burned by Honda in the past and will not use their fluids.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Wow you have to change it already? Aren't you still under warranty? If so, just wait until the MM tells you to change it, and use DW1. Once the warranty expires, use Maxlife, or Mag 1 synthetic low-vis ATF, according to the MM's suggestions.

And you really shouldn't need any Lubegard on a brand new car!

How many miles does it have?

Out of warranty, drain and fill was done at 34k.

But the powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60k miles. Are you past 60k miles?

Wow lots of wonderful advice, almost none (thanks to those who helped with my questions) of which I asked for. My question was pretty specific and it would be polite to stay on on topic (if that is even possible). I did not ask for what type of ATF fluid the keyboard warriors think I should use. I have made up my mind but was debating on what LG to use. I also did not ask for opinions on LB either.

I am very confident that the Maxlife will serve me well and I have no intentions or using DW-1. This car gets driven over 30K a year so to me, the powertrain warranty is useless. The tranny in these civics are pretty stout so worrying about the warranty for another 10 months is not worth my time.

If your Civic is like my 07 Accord V6, I'd use the LG Platinum. Both it and red are recommended by LG as I recall. However, if you go to the LG site you can see their recommendations.

I also use Maxlife, having used the old Honda Z1 (before DW-1 came out), then Redline (D4 I think, but it's been a while).

Now that Maxlife is full syn (it was a blend before), I am even happier. I have ~107,000 happy miles thus far.

Some folks like DW-1, and that's fine but it's predecessor was truly junk. The old trope "only use Honda ATF in Hondas" is flatly untrue. I suspect many who trot that out don't own Hondas and never have.

Trav has tested trannies he's serviced with LG and found cooler temps as well. It isn't hearsay and deserves better than the sarcasm some have replied with here.

Sidebar: I've had good results with LG red in my 91 Ranger. Even switching it over to Mobil 1 was an improvement but 2 bottles of LG red in the mix have stopped it's antics. The two trannies aren't the same, obviously, but the outcomes are good.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

But the powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60k miles. Are you past 60k miles?

Exactly.

The OP should take heed. Even if Lubegard is a legit product, Honda WILL give you a hard time if you need to make a warranty claim on your car that is transmission related. Think twice before you use an additive if you are still under factory warranty.

Honda DW-1 is a very good product as long as you do a drain and fill about every 30k or so.

The OP may not want to hear that but it's the right advice to give.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eagle23
...Some folks like DW-1, and that's fine but it's predecessor was truly junk. The old trope "only use Honda ATF in Hondas" is flatly untrue. I suspect many who trot that out don't own Hondas and never have....

Difficult for me to find fault with that statement. Though I used Z-1 exclusively in an 01 Civic till superseded by DW1, Z1 is now proven to have sheared very quickly and was truely nothing special as an ATF. DW-1 is supposed to be an improvement, though based on Z1 record, that wouldn't take much. I'm sure if one hangs out at the Honda specific forums, much as Z1 was always the only fluid to use DW-1 is the same being that it replaces Z-1, because Honda always knows best. Right? At least that's what the kool aide drinkers would have one believe.

I will say if my Honda was still under warranty I'd likely still use DW1 just to eliminate any possible question should there be any kind of AT issue. Based on Honda's less than stellar AT reliability record, seems prudent. That said, I'm now using MaxLife in two Hondas spec'd for Z-1, working just fine thank you.

If out of warranty (which the OP says he is) and the OP is comfortable and confident with ML and Lubegard (Red or Platinum), then I say go for it. Based on reading many posts on bitog both products are respected and used successfully.

As for the OP's question, seeing as it's not CVT either the standard Red or the Platinum is appropriate. The latter adding CVT to it's product information spec sheet.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Exactly.

The OP should take heed. Even if Lubegard is a legit product, Honda WILL give you a hard time if you need to make a warranty claim on your car that is transmission related. Think twice before you use an additive if you are still under factory warranty.

Honda DW-1 is a very good product as long as you do a drain and fill about every 30k or so.

The OP may not want to hear that but it's the right advice to give.

Thanks for the advice but like I mentioned, I'll be at 60K in approximately 10-11 months so that really does not bother me. I'm sure DW-1 is very good, that was something I never disputed.

Of the LG products, I've only used the red. I really don't think the Platinum is necessary. If you're going to use an LG product, use the red IMO.

Also, I believe Trav has measured temp drops with a temperature gun after adding LG to the trans.

Here's a quote of Trav's: "Running the new Maxlife trans fluid in a GM 4T65E HD temp was 165F after 30 miles 60 degree ambient temp.
With Lubeguard red 1 oz per qt as per directions 162f same conditions 2oz per qt 155f same conditions.
Temp monitored while driving with Auto Inginuity enhanced GM".

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I thought a few of us did answer your question.

Yes, several folks did help with my questions and I appreciate it!

It sounds like what I was hoping, I think the red is the way to go. I had great results with LG in my old Chevy truck that had a dying tranny. I am not a big fan on 90% of additives but LG impresses me.

Thanks to all those who actually helped answer my questions!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
if you want to lower trans temps add a cooler. magic potions aren't going to do anything to benefit you In this case. also dw1 is a much better fluid than the old z1.

also not trying to be rude but the majority of people are telling you not to use lg because in this situation its a waste of money with zero benefit and to use dw1 because this will benefit you and you just refuse to do that. if you already have your mind made on it why post here about what we would use?
if you insist on using lg use the cheapest one because none of it is going to do anything. lg is a decent product when used for the right reasons. but I doubt it will lower temps very much if at all. your car just needs the proper fluid at the proper interval. if you want peace of mind change it a little earlier than necessary. I change mine every 20,000. I want to keep very clean fluid in it because I don't trust slush boxes and don't want to have to replace it. however there is no proof my change interval is a benefit at all but it makes me feel a little better.

+1

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Originally Posted By: ram_man
if you want to lower trans temps add a cooler. magic potions aren't going to do anything to benefit you In this case. also dw1 is a much better fluid than the old z1.

also not trying to be rude but the majority of people are telling you not to use lg because in this situation its a waste of money with zero benefit and to use dw1 because this will benefit you and you just refuse to do that. if you already have your mind made on it why post here about what we would use?
if you insist on using lg use the cheapest one because none of it is going to do anything. lg is a decent product when used for the right reasons. but I doubt it will lower temps very much if at all. your car just needs the proper fluid at the proper interval. if you want peace of mind change it a little earlier than necessary. I change mine every 20,000. I want to keep very clean fluid in it because I don't trust slush boxes and don't want to have to replace it. however there is no proof my change interval is a benefit at all but it makes me feel a little better.

+1

Originally Posted By: sw99
Wow lots of wonderful advice, almost none (thanks to those who helped with my questions) of which I asked for. My question was pretty specific and it would be polite to stay on on topic (if that is even possible). I did not ask for what type of ATF fluid the keyboard warriors think I should use. I have made up my mind but was debating on what LG to use. I also did not ask for opinions on LB either.

I am very confident that the Maxlife will serve me well and I have no intentions or using DW-1. This car gets driven over 30K a year so to me, the powertrain warranty is useless. The tranny in these civics are pretty stout so worrying about the warranty for another 10 months is not worth my time.

Good morning folks! Just an update - I have been running ML ATF for over 100k in the Civic with a few ounces of LG red at each drain and fill interval. Just did another OCI and tranny D&F at 140k the other day and this still shifts like new.

Hey thanks for updating, great to actually read a follow up on products used! I love LG products, run it in everything New and old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back