2012-2017 Hyundai Accent--Good Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are reliable, basic vehicles that will go over 100k. My only advice... don't top off at the gas station after the pump stops. You will flood the EVAP system, which will lead to the replacement of the EVAP canister, rollover valve, and canister close valve. We call it the "Rio Trio" at our Kia shop. It's a common problem and expensive to fix.

Originally Posted by Loobit
The Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are reliable, basic vehicles that will go over 100k. My only advice... don't top off at the gas station after the pump stops. You will flood the EVAP system, which will lead to the replacement of the EVAP canister, rollover valve, and canister close valve. We call it the "Rio Trio" at our Kia shop. It's a common problem and expensive to fix.

That is precisely why I insist on pumping my own gas...

They leave something to be desired past 100k, now the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 from that generation is another story. Those were objectively good cars and can be as much fun as a IS350, G37 or 3 series. And they can be had cheap now.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by csandste
MILES ON DAUGHTER'S RIO--Probably a bit over 65k. She doesn't live with me. I also gave her EX Rio which was totaled at maybe 120k. That had a lot more stuff on it i.e. UVO and was a much nicer car. That probably had 120k on it. No problem with either. Biggest problem with low end HyunKias is that they're bought by people that don't maintain them.

Throw away cars are only throw away if the owner treats them as such, Csandste. But, largest number of complaints reflected below are from engine problems.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Accent/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/

More:
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Accent.html

Oh the luv from the Hyundai & Kia fanboys/girls just cant accept the TRUTH!!! Even if it stares you RIGHT IN THE FACE!!!!

Originally Posted by parimento1
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Originally Posted by Mainia
1.6 GDI non-turbo or with a turbo, is one of Hyundai's most reliable motors.

Not a big sample size, but we have lost 2 in the last year at work, both 2018s with around 30k on them, dealer maintained and they grenaded on us. These were 1.6 non turbo in Tucsons. We only have 2, but they both did it. Hyundai was great about the warranty but we won't be buying any more.

What was the mode of failure? Are the transmission stout, at least?

I don't know exactly, they never shared with us what the failure was, just replaced the engines under warranty.

When they blew, everything was perfectly fine and then suddenly the oil light came on and the engine started making horrible noises. Both went out the same way, one at a stop sign and one during city driving. They were not being driven hard at all, had 30k on them and were both full of oil at the time of the failure.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Originally Posted by Mainia
1.6 GDI non-turbo or with a turbo, is one of Hyundai's most reliable motors.

Not a big sample size, but we have lost 2 in the last year at work, both 2018s with around 30k on them, dealer maintained and they grenaded on us. These were 1.6 non turbo in Tucsons. We only have 2, but they both did it. Hyundai was great about the warranty but we won't be buying any more.

What was the mode of failure? Are the transmission stout, at least?

I don't know exactly, they never shared with us what the failure was, just replaced the engines under warranty.

When they blew, everything was perfectly fine and then suddenly the oil light came on and the engine started making horrible noises. Both went out the same way, one at a stop sign and one during city driving. They were not being driven hard at all, had 30k on them and were both full of oil at the time of the failure.

Wow, so it wasn't a top end problem like burned valve, where it will misfire, but keep running for awhile. Sounds expensive if not under warranty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back