2006 Hyundai Azera

Anyone have any experience with these? It has the 3.8L with 130,000 miles. Are the engine and transmission reliable?

Never heard of it either, but Hyundai has not been synonymous with reliability in recent years, so, don't know. I'm sure some people on here will know more about that engine. 2006 with 130K, can't be all bad. Have maintenance records?

Top 3 issues:
1711631388400.jpg

CARFAX shows regular oil changes but only one transmission flush at 30,000. The dealer has it listed for too much money at $6000. Might be worth a taking it for a test drive.

The Lambda 3.8L is good. Basic & simple older Mitsubishi design (Mitsubishi 6G7 > Hyundai Sigma > Hyundai Lambda). The Auto tranny will also go a long time with basic Drain & Fill.
At some point the older Hyundai XG350 and first model years of Hyundai Azera had issues with electrical fires under the hood. Not all of them, but a certain batch. I have no idea how to determine if yours is affected, but if it lasted until 2024 without catching fire, then I doubt you have anything to worry about. Worst case scenario - get a full coverage insurance, and carry some marshmallows in the glove box.

Last edited:
Why are you looking at 18 year old cars at dealers? That's $3000 max from private sellers.
depends on the area.. I'd pay more for a dealer car from the south than from a private seller in the north for less money. A lot of folks trade in their cars so a dealer can be a good source to locate what you're looking for. The dealer may let it go for less than asking. It can also be a good place to test drive & get familiar with a car but not buy it then choose to buy private. I do agree that $6k is too much for that car.

Take Facebook marketplace for example. My wife has an account for 8 months now & has been cut off to access it. Stuck with Craigslist & dealers.

Why are you looking at 18 year old cars at dealers? That's $3000 max from private sellers.
As much as I agree that $6000 is too much....I still have to remind myself of the market we are in. So here are the results of that reality check.
I looked around at similar Azeras in Charlotte area, all private sellers.
- For $3000 you can get an abused 200k example. Missing door handles, interior pieces, faded paint, etc.
- At $4000 the clear coat will be present and shiny, but mileage above 200k.
- At $5000 mileage drops to 150k-180k zone, and it will look nice.
- $6000 gets a nice Azera with 60k-140k miles.

My youngest son will be 16 soon, so I’ve been looking for a decent first car. Most on marketplace are high mileage junk, trying to find a balance between condition and cost.

Anyone have any experience with these? It has the 3.8L with 130,000 miles. Are the engine and transmission reliable?
Can’t speak to that exact vehicle, but I have the same engine and 5-speed automatic in my 2008 Sedona with 219k miles. Still going strong. Transmission still shifts more predictably than most newer vehicles haha. Has an occasional hard downshift or mild flare, but otherwise is great.

Haven't paid attention to them but I see this 2008 Limited with 113K coming up for sale Tuesday at auction. Can't imagine it will be over $3000 or much over $2k.

View attachment 210756

View attachment 210757
Keep us updated on what it actually sells for. And if you end up buying it for $3000 - I'm sure @iontrap would be ok with a little markup on that for your trouble. Then it'd stay in the BITOG family, you earned some lunch money, and @iontrap saved some money compared to the $6k one.
I sure do like to stir the pot, don't I? 😆

That era of Hyundai vehicles were darn near bulletproof.
I'd even go as far as saying that some Hyundai and Kia vehicles from that era were on par with Toyota and Honda. That's considering comfort, styling, ergonomics, and long-term reliability. They did (and still do) come at a lower price tag, and usually only lose by 1-3MPG to their Japanese competition.
I still want a Kia Borrego V8 4x4. Unfortunately no nice ones left...

2006 is the first model year. 2006-2011 was the first generation 2012-2017 the second generation. They were overall deemed reliable but didn't sell in big numbers due to it being Hyundai's big car. It got nixed when Genesis debuted. It's still sold overseas.

Keep us updated on what it actually sells for. And if you end up buying it for $3000 - I'm sure @iontrap would be ok with a little markup on that for your trouble. Then it'd stay in the BITOG family, you earned some lunch money, and @iontrap saved some money compared to the $6k one.
I sure do like to stir the pot, don't I? 😆
I’m always looking for a good deal. 😄

Back