2011 Charger 5.7L Hemi Lifter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: klt1986
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder if the recall was done, but with an already in stock off the shelf pre-recall cam/lifter?

Obviously I don't do Mopar, but we don't stock cams and lifters on purpose. If it is a recall, you can't use old parts anyway. The claim to the manufacturer will not be paid with old parts on the RO.

So, what do you think, just one of those fluke things that happen sometimes? How hard would it be for a dealer to get paid for warranty work they do not do?

I think this was a parts failure. Warranty fraud is admittedly easy to do if a dealer was so inclined, however they would be caught eventually. I have had people try to do it at my work before but I refuse to get involved.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Is this problem related to the MDS? I wonder if the manual transmission cars w/o MDS have issues w/lifters.

I doubt it matters. The parts are poorly made defects. Oil grade wouldn't matter. Maybe a thicker oil would have slowed it down a bit, maybe. But it was doomed from day one with defective parts.

Its more than possible from what I have seen in dealers over the years. Some of the shenanigans some dealers get up to is beyond belief. As Bdcardinal said they all get caught in the end but they do it anyway.

This has been a ongoing thing since Chrysler decided to use Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron (SADI) Cam Cores in the Hemi engines. If you install another SADI camshaft......You are asking for it to happen again.

Source a Billet Steel Cam, Either 5150, 8660 or 8620.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: oldhp
That's why I use 5W30 with NO problems.

So.. You think using thicker oil prevents this from happening?

Couldn't hurt. Probably was a bad lifter. My 2016 Hemi Challenger has zero tick now versus 5w20. That tells me the oil was not cushioning something.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
That's why I use 5W30 with NO problems.

So.. You think using thicker oil prevents this from happening?

Couldn't hurt. Probably was a bad lifter. My 2016 Hemi Challenger has zero tick now versus 5w20. That tells me the oil was not cushioning something.
cheers3.gif

Just put in NAPA Synthetic 5W30 my 2010 Ranger 2.3, now sounds like a "quieter" sewing machine. I'm done with 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back