Possibly misdiagnosed 2012 RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, our highest mileage RAM 1500 (I think it's a 2012, might be a 2011), which has 337,000km on it (210,000 miles) was "diagnosed" with needing a cam and lifters and headed for the bin. I was surprised, because last I heard it running, other than an exhaust leak, it sounded fine, and that was recently.

So, I called the guy up and he described to me what was happening:
- Fired up fine, ran fine
- Drove it for about 5 minutes and then it stumbled and stuttered
- After the above, it was idling rough

He then took it to the mechanic (not dealer) who put a code reader on it, indicated misfire on cylinder #3, he put a coil on it, problem didn't go away, he called the local engine shop, they told him it was the cam and lifters, which he then concluded was the diagnosis and relayed it to the guy whose company truck it is.

So, I went and took a peek at it. Fired it up, wasn't running rough, has what sounds like a pulley bearing on its way out, and an exhaust leak.

Pulled the coolant reservoir dipstick, bone dry. Opened the rad cap, no coolant. Brown goo:
C9501B11-B4C4-40F8-A744-F10EC4116881_1_105_c.jpeg

E1EF4E28-F550-4CDB-80D3-E41AC563E40C_1_105_c.jpeg

Put in about 1/2 a gallon of coolant, started it, and waited for the thermostat to open. When it opened, between the reservoir and the rad, I used up the rest of the gallon jug.

Took it for a drive. Seemed to drive fine, has a bit of a hesitation but then goes OK. Cruises smooth, idles smooth. Seems to be weak off idle, but then wakes up.

Took it out to the airport, cruised out fine. On the way back, I floored it, once it got up near 5K the CEL started to flash and it got noticeably rough. Let off, CEL stopped flashing, but then it was running pretty rough. Cruised, it smoothed back out, drove in the 60km/h zone back to the office, it was perfectly smooth, idled smooth at the stop lights...etc.

With the window down, when you get on it a bit, it has a bit of a "stutter" which starts to clear up as the RPM come up, doesn't feel like a hard miss. Doesn't have any unusual valvetrain noise and no "chirp" like our previous 5.7L had when it apparently ate a lifter.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that it is indeed having a lifter fail, but the symptoms, to me, do not make that seem obvious.

This "take a look at it" was rather spur of the moment, so I didn't have my reader with me, I'm going to read the codes and see what it says. Of note, cylinder #3 is NOT an MDS cylinder. I'm not sure if buddy took at look at the plugs.

@The Critic and @clinebarger this one might be of interest to you. I already mentioned it earlier to @wwillson but that was before I decided to take a peek at it.

Will update further once I have some more data. I was rather disheartened to see the state of the cooling system, we pay to have these trucks properly service and looked after and this is not indicative of that taking place.

Exhaust back pressure would be on my list of things to check based on your description. Was a static and dynamic compression test done on cylinder 3? That will tell the real story of mechanical health.
You are expecting far too much unfortunately, lol. My understanding is that a code reader was put on it, it said misfire cylinder 3, it got a coil slapped on it, that didn't fix the problem, hands went up and a phone call was made and it was "diagnosed" over the phone with what was indicated in the OP.

Depressing, I know.

My buddy and I are going to take a look at it after work Monday, I'll have him bring his compression tester too, we can do that.

That coolant went somewhere. Thinking head gasket problem.
I assume it has never been checked, probably ever, in 200,000 miles. It does evaporate, the overflow bottle isn't sealed. Mind you, that doesn't explain the rad being low.

HEMI's aren't known for head gasket issues, but we know what never changed coolant can do to things too.

Reactions: JTK
This wouldn't necessarily cause your symptoms but these are supposed to get copper.....based upon the cooling system I wonder when the plugs were last changed? I only see mention of a coil here

This wouldn't necessarily cause your symptoms but these are supposed to get copper.....based upon the cooling system I wonder when the plugs were last changed? I only see mention of a coil here
I have no idea, but we are going to find out.

Sounds similar to what happened to a friend of mine. His Durango drove fine, idled fine, but get on it like you did and it’d start flashing the check engine light. But drive sensibly it felt fine. No chirps/ticking or any other abnormal noises. His ended up needing a cam and lifters, but he caught it so early it didn’t need an entire engine.

IIRC his went out at ~160,000-180,000 miles, he was pushing 250,000 a month or 2 ago and still running great.

My son and I just did a hemi cam and lifters. Truck would run ok unless you really firewalled it. Then a flashing check engine light. We didn’t have any head gasket issues like this one does. The bad cam lobe was almost completely ground off.

I assume it has never been checked, probably ever, in 200,000 miles. It does evaporate, the overflow bottle isn't sealed. Mind you, that doesn't explain the rad being low.

HEMI's aren't known for head gasket issues, but we know what never changed coolant can do to things too.
So, update on this bit:

Apparently, the water pump was recently changed... 😳

So, update on this bit:

Apparently, the water pump was recently changed... 😳
Ok, I think I have an idea what happened.

Wrong coolant, which caused gelling. FCA published this in a tech tip a long time ago; supposedly the HOAT coolant from that era is very prone to this when mixed.

Plus cooling system was not properly bled during the repair.

With the changeover, there is an area of concern that must be paid attention to. OAT and HOAT coolants ARE NOT COMPATIBLE OR INTERCHANGEABLE. Mixing the two coolant types can result in accelerated corrosion in the engine and cooling systems.When this happens, the coolant may have an ammonia smell or there may be particles floating in the coolant. In a worst cases cenario, you'll have the predicament below:

The condition reflected in Fig. 1 on the previous page is pretty much terminal. .. replacement of the engine and other cooling system components is likely. That would be an expensive repercussion for not paying attention to detail when servicing the cooling system.

😳

Back