2010 VFR1200DCT - Rotella T4 15w40 ok?

To preserve the life of the clutches, I generally prefer to change the oil more frequently on a bike.
That way I get the best performance from the fluid, while performing OCI's a little more frequently.

If I had something like a BMW with a dry clutch, I'd certainly run the fancy stuff at the manufacturers recommended OCI.

When I say oil change interval, I mean however long I leave the oil in the bike. If we're talking track use, that could only be a couple days of use on the track. The brake fluid gets changed that often for track use too. Not to mention the tires.

For street use, I rarely go as long as the manufacturer specified OCI for mileage, as I like to put a bike away for winter, with fresh oil in it. The riding mileage gets spread over 7 bikes, so none are racking up big annual mileage individually.

You can certainly try the Rotella to see if it meets your expectations.

Last edited:
Do you have a link?

Motul and Ipone were on sale for Black Friday for cheaper than the Repsol and Liquid Moly.

Motul and Ipone were on sale for Black Friday for cheaper than the Repsol and Liquid Moly.
thanks for that, but both are 40w oils and basically the same at operating temp as Rotella T4 15w40 (as I understand it).

I find the shifting quality doesn't last in our sportbikes when using Rotella. So I use oil that maintains slick shifting throughout the oil change interval in our bikes. I'd use it if it performed better in our bikes. I'd certainly save money.

Why do people use it? the same reason you use a car tire on your bike. It's cheap, and apparently find the performance acceptable for their use.

Not all flavors of Rotella perform the same, and even the same flavor will usually perform differently in different bikes.

I can't speak to race bikes because I don't own one, but I use a few different Rotella products because they work well for me, even compared to other, more expensive oil options.

My VT750 Shadows prefer the performance of T4 15w40 over Castrol Actevo 4T 10w40 and Honda GN4.

Compared to the Actevo 4T, the T4 shifts smoother, and the engine is slightly quieter too.

Compared to GN4, the Rotella T4 holds shift quality longer and doesn't seem to sheer as much.

The T5 10w30 is the quietest and smoothest I've tried in my CB1100. The Honda GN4 was okay, but it sheered down to coffee water in just 4k miles, half the recommended Honda OCI.

The Rotella T6 15w40 wasn't a good match for the CB1100 either. Far too much engine noise and the shifting slipped sometimes.

But the T5 does a good job in the CB.

It's not because it's less expensive, it's because it works better.

I find the shifting quality doesn't last in our sportbikes when using Rotella. So I use oil that maintains slick shifting throughout the oil change interval in our bikes. I'd use it if it performed better in our bikes. I'd certainly save money.

Why do people use it? the same reason you use a car tire on your bike. It's cheap, and apparently find the performance acceptable for their use.
That's one of about 6 or 7 reasons I run a car tire...

As the title states, I've recently purchased an old 2010 VFR1200 with dct (14k miles) for some 2 up rides along the coastal highway/mountain passes.
This bike has a hefty sized sump (4.0 liters) plus two oil filters (one is for the DCT alone).

Since I have an old 88 BMW 3 series that also takes Rotella T4 15w40, is there any problem with running this in the Honda that's spec'd for 10w30?
I obviously plan on only running the bike in summer, so the higher temps would be suitable for the 15w40.

your thoughts are appreciated.
If the oil weight bothers you then just run T5...or Mobil make the 4T oil in a 10-30

That's one of about 6 or 7 reasons I run a car tire...

What does extreme poverty look like??? Car Tire on your motorcycle...

extremepoverty2-jpg.182528

T5 10w30 would solve your problem then.
But the only oil I get for "free" that's also used in my BMW (car) that meets the Jaso MA spec, is 15w40.

The bike was delivered with 10w30, so I'll see if I notice any decline in performance if/when I change to Rotella T4 15w40.
If so, I'll pony up the funds for 10w30 at the following OCI.

thanks again for all the replies!

Last edited:
Never happens...

On the contrary, I gave you an example of exactly that happening, the last time you were trying to justify running a car tire on a Motorcycle. Insurance claim was denied due to improper equipment, and the husband and wife were lucky to escape with relatively minor injuries. Broken leg, road rash, lots of bruising and sprains/strains, etc.

On the contrary, I gave you an example of exactly that happening, the last time you were trying to justify running a car tire on a Motorcycle. Insurance claim was denied due to improper equipment, and the husband and wife were lucky to escape with relatively minor injuries. Broken leg, road rash, lots of bruising and sprains/strains, etc.
I'm not continuing an argument with individuals who refuse to acknowledge facts. You are focused on one incident (if it actually happened) out of tens of thousands of riders who use car tires without incident. If that's all it takes to keep your mind closed to other options, no matter how minuscule the risk, how are you even able to ride at all? The risk of being involved in an accident due to running a car tire is so far down on the list when compared to the others risks associated with riding motorcycles, how do you justify riding, given the much higher probability of being in an accident due to other factors? You are at an infinitely higher risk of being involved in an accident with another vehicle...chances of being in an accident because of running a car tire are almost non existent....

I'm not continuing an argument with individuals who refuse to acknowledge facts. You are focused on one incident (if it actually happened) out of tens of thousands of riders who use car tires without incident. If that's all it takes to keep your mind closed to other options, no matter how minuscule the risk, how are you even able to ride at all? The risk of being involved in an accident due to running a car tire is so far down on the list when compared to the others risks associated with riding motorcycles, how do you justify riding, given the much higher probability of being in an accident due to other factors? You are at an infinitely higher risk of being involved in an accident with another vehicle...chances of being in an accident because of running a car tire are almost non existent....

LOL

So I just finished the transaction with the dealer.
I was also able to obtain the PO's maintenance receipts etc. to indicate what oil they were using.

Turns out they were using 10w40 Motul oil.
Use of this grade is also supported in the Honda service manual, that states either 10w30 or 10w40 can be used.
So between 10w and 15w is there any reason to worry? or can I just run Rotella T 15w40 and forget about it?

Back