2010 GTI Owner Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time owned: 1.5 years
Condition: Purchased new

Issues so far:
Service visit for TPMS problem, software was reprogrammed by dealer
3 separate service visits for Check Engine Light and EPC light flashing, car stalling out. Dealer eventually replaced throttle body on the 3rd visit.
Bushing squeak from front left suspension on cold mornings, haven’t been to dealer yet for a resolution.

Modifications and/or changes:
Euro OEM VW Convex mirrors
aFe Pro Dry S air filter
Upgraded Stage 1 ECU software
PCV system has been completely bypassed.

Overall driving impressions:
This is a fantastic car to drive. Very good steering, the best electronic steering I have experienced on a car. The suspension is well balanced and manages to be stiff enough to keep the car entertaining but doesn’t beat up passengers with an overly harsh ride. The car feels very composed, you have to really work to get the suspension to feel out of sorts. This car does understeer like most FWDs will but, somewhat surprisingly it has a fair amount of back end rotation when the throttle is lifted. It is easy to carry speed into a corner and when you feel the front begin to push just ease out of the throttle and the back end will come back in line very smoothly.

Acceleration is what I would consider above adequate, it certainly isn’t the fastest car on the road but it’s usually enough to get around just about anything and still have some in reserve. The largest benefit has been the fuel economy of the car, driven conservatively it can easily do over 30mpg on the highway if the speeds are kept under 75mph. Having this level of flexibility and still having plenty of passing power are quite hard to find in comparable cars.

Power delivery is very good in the low to mid-range, the IHI K03 turbo on the car is small and spools quickly. However, it runs out of breath at the top of the RPM range, anything much over 5800RPM on the stock turbo and you can start to feel the power fall off quickly. Redline is 6800RPM.

This car has the DSG transmission and while I prefer it on this particular vehicle, plenty of folks also have the 6MT transmission and seem to like it just as well. Due to the way DSG shifts in ‘normal’ drive mode I think it is easier to achieve higher MPG with a DSG equipped GTI, the car executes most shifts under 1800RPM when driven with a gentle right foot. It will be in 6th gear by the time it is up to 35mph, this is harder to do with a MT equipped car without constantly having to work the gearbox.

This car has the upgraded Xenon lights and the DynAudio stereo. I am impressed by both, the stereo is pretty good for OEM and will not need to be upgraded. The lights on the car are fantastic, very good road coverage and the high beams have good throw. These are some of the best lights I have had on a vehicle.

My biggest complaint with this vehicle stems around several common failure points. It is common for the intake manifold flaps, the water pump, and the radiator to fail on these cars. All items are generally covered by the warranty but, for such a new vehicle it’s a shame to have to worry about such trivial things. In addition, this car came equipped with the OEM Pirelli P Zero Nero all season tires, I have rotated them every 5000 miles and at 13,000 miles, they are still very loud. Low rolling speeds (20mph and under) have a similar tire thrum to that of a dump truck, very disappointing for an otherwise refined car. It’s to the point where I am considering replacing the tires early if the noise gets any worse.

Overall this hasn’t been too bad for my first German car. For the money there are more reliable cars out there but, I found it difficult to find another car that strikes the same balance in every category as the GTI. I wouldn’t recommend this car to the casual car owner that just wants something that is good on gas and needs the occasional oil change. For a driver that wants to be more involved with their vehicle and who can tolerate a bit more wear and tear, this is a solid choice and has some refinement that can be hard to find in comparable vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Any dealer comment on your mods?

Good question, so far I haven't had a comment by the dealer on the ECU. VW recently made an update on their system that displays a flag on the dealership computer if they have scanned your ECU in the past and found it to be modified. VW always had the ability to tell if the ECU was modified but, this is the first time that they have made this information immediately visible at the dealership level. Time will tell how this works out.

The only other mod that is immediately visible in my engine bay is the PCV bypass. It is so easy to remove, I just put the car back to stock when I have to take it in for service. It takes maybe 45 seconds to plug everything back in the way it was. Sometimes I have even returned it back to stock in the parking lot before pulling it into the service bay when the throttle body was acting up.

Due to the problems I have already had with it and also due to the common failures that other GTI owners are reporting with radiators, intake manifolds, and water pumps. I have no further plans to modify the car, I don't want to give them any excuses to not provide warranty service on parts that were obviously defective from the factory.

In case you didn't know already, there's a TSB out for that creaking control arm bushing. I don't have the number, but I'm sure it's all over VWVortex. I went in a couple of years ago hoping to get new bushings, and they ended up replacing both control arms, complete with bushings. No more squeaky-creaky.

Originally Posted By: 07Wolfie
In case you didn't know already, there's a TSB out for that creaking control arm bushing. I don't have the number, but I'm sure it's all over VWVortex. I went in a couple of years ago hoping to get new bushings, and they ended up replacing both control arms, complete with bushings. No more squeaky-creaky.

You're right and if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's for the VW Passat and some older Golf platform based cars. I don't think it covers 2010+ cars yet. If/when I do take the car in to get the squeak looked at I'll print off a copy and bring it in, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just do it without keeping the car for a few days worth of "diagnostics."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back