2009 Honda Fit 10k OCI Mobil 1 AFE 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an engine as new and clean as yours, a filter change isn't necessary. I've been doing 10K OCIs for 33 years and I don't change out the filter in the middle of an oil run. Also your engine is quite new so 10K OCIs will be easy. Expect your engine to last much longer than you will most likely keep it.

Originally Posted By: Artem
i feel like Honda is pushing the OCI's a little too far on these tiny oil sump engines. Freaking EPA and their [censored].
mad.gif

What on earth are you talking about?

Is the EPA responsible for the extended drains in European countries as well? I also didn't know the EPA offered credits for extended drain oils?

Why is it that some posters insist on looking at everything through the lens of a vast government conspiracy?

The Honda OLM seems to work well with the specified oil, and this oil was suitable for use as indicated by the OLM. End of story.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Artem
i feel like Honda is pushing the OCI's a little too far on these tiny oil sump engines. Freaking EPA and their [censored].
mad.gif

What on earth are you talking about?

Is the EPA responsible for the extended drains in European countries as well? I also didn't know the EPA offered credits for extended drain oils?

Why is it that some posters insist on looking at everything through the lens of a vast government conspiracy?

The Honda OLM seems to work well with the specified oil, and this oil was suitable for use as indicated by the OLM. End of story.

+1

Originally Posted By: tig1
For an engine as new and clean as yours, a filter change isn't necessary. I've been doing 10K OCIs for 33 years and I don't change out the filter in the middle of an oil run. Also your engine is quite new so 10K OCIs will be easy. Expect your engine to last much longer than you will most likely keep it.

I expect to get 200k (at least) over the next 8-10 years as this is my wife's 100mile/day 22k/yr commuter. If the ox/nit numbers are in fact pushing the envelope, and assuming - but not knowing - that TBN was also low, I think that $10 worth of a new filter and 1/2 qt of oil 2/3 of the way through the OCI will be cost effective at preventing varnish buildup over that time period.

I don't like the Al amount...it is seriously high, even for a new engine with 10k on the oil.

I'd try something else, but stick to the OLM/10k interval.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't like the Al amount...it is seriously high, even for a new engine with 10k on the oil.

I'd try something else, but stick to the OLM/10k interval.

I'll just note that the Al trend is downward from the factory fill (20 vs 15 over the same # miles) and given that the engine is largely made of Al I don't think that's bad at all. The copper (25) and tin (12) wear was very worrisome on the factory fill, but that's cleared out now so all is good I think.

I'm sticking to 10k or 20% OLM (whichever comes first) from now on. Not entirely sure if I plan to change filters or not...probably not. That was mostly a knee-jerk reaction to the oxid/nit #s which in hind sight are probably not that terrible.

Another oil analysis on this engine. This run was Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w20 and it looks like it's working pretty well. I changed this oil out at about 30% on the OLM, but I think I'm safe to go back to 10k intervals despite the high oxidation and nitration #s.

The two sets of #s are from the 25k UOA (AFE) and the 44k UOA (EP).

Code:
Iron 16 - 13

Chromium 1 - 0

Lead 0 - 0

Copper 3 - 2

Tin 2 - 1

Aluminum 15 - 11

Nickel 1 - 0

Silver 0 - 0

Vanadium 0 - 1

Silicon 16 - 17

boron 58 - 60

Sodium 10 - 10

Potassium 4 - 5

Magnesium 12 - 12

Calcium 2123 - 2271

Phosphorus 493 - 734

Zinc 800 - 718

Moly 106 - 97

Barium 0 - 2

Visc 100c cst 7.79 - 8.05

Fuel NA - NA

Glyc NA - NA

Soot 0 - 0

Oxidation 19*** - 20

Nitration 13.4 *** - 13.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad results - nice consistency. EP held viscosity a bit better. For mostly highway driving in Cal., where you don't 'need' 0W ability, I'd stick with the 5W-20 EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back