2008 Honda 2.4L Engine Cold-Start Rattling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Call Bullwinkle. I just started topping off with a Valvoline Synthetic 5w40. Gonna see how it behaves over the next 1,000 miles. I added 6oz of BioTech LubeGuard and it didn't make any change to the startup noise. Gonna continue experimenting until I run out of options.

Quick update on my 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L engine issues. I experimented with adding 5w-30 and 5w-40 to relieve the cold-start rattling and oil usage. Neither worked for both issues. 5w-40 might have slowed the oil usage a bit.. but was still an issue that didn't go away. I decided to go against my better judgement and try an oil additive. Did a little bit of research (Farm Project and others) and decided to try BestLine oil additive as a last resort. Surprisingly, here are the results. The rattle is still there at cold start, however, seems to be less noisy. So, for whatever it is worth, mild success. As for the oil usage, that was the biggest surprise. Oil usage has come to a complete stop. Since adding the 16oz bottle of BestLine HP oil additive, I've gone 1,220 miles with absolutely zero oil usage. Can't explain it. Not going to try. I am impressed with this stuff, even though I'm not an oil additive promoter or believer. But can now say that I like what this has done for my Honda engine. I will be running a UOA on this soon as it just passed the 7,000 mile mark on this oil interval. Will share as soon as I get the results. Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage (5w20 & 5w30) & Valvoline 5w40 MST Full Synthetic have been the oil used during this experiment. Tried to stay with common oil brand family to minimize variables. I'm sure when I get my UOA results back, one thing I will not pay attention to will be the viscosity of the sample. It will be a mixed bag of all oil weights that will likely be something in a thin 30wt range when all said and done. Just wanted to provide an update for all to know, at least one of the two issues I have had on my Honda engine has seemingly been fixed without engine overhaul or replacement.

The only time I ever got that rattle was with QSUD 10W30. I went to PPHM 5W20 and it went away. I then went to PP 10W30 and it never happened again,and cold first of the day startups were completely silent. I'm on my second oil change of PPHM 10W30 and she's still smooth as silk and completely silent. It makes me wonder if something was maybe "clogged up",because the first drain of the PP came out jet black after only 3000 miles,and the varnish that was on the camshaft is completely gone. From viewing the Carfax,it was changed at a GTX oil change quick lube all it's life. Maybe the dino oil left behind some varnish and the PP cleaned it up,since PP is known to be a good cleaning oil? And on this 2nd oil change of PPHM 10W30,the engine is just insanely quiet and smooth. I have a sample of the first PPHM 10W30 that I'll be sending off to Blackstone next week sometime to compare it to the QSUD 5W20 oil I did awhile back.

Anyway,that's my experience.

There is a service bulletin, 09-010, Engine Rattles at Cold Start-Up, dated March 17, 2016, about this issue. It describes the symptom and includes the procedure to replace the VTC actuator. There is a new part number for the VTC actuator (p/n 14310-R5A-305) which supposedly fixes this problem for good. From what I've read, not replacing a failed VTC actuator leads to cam chain stretch. YMMV.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 15
Last edited:
Remember these are little motor and for today standard it's very low hp . I live in heavy traffic . Driving fast city . And I feel the pain of try to pass some one or going up the hill .

What I am trying to say is . Be patient with these little motor it's not a v8 . It do not have instant torque . Take it easy on it DONT REV 4.5-5k rpm for try get it moving . Take it easy on it . When you over rev the engine , that's how timing chain stretch .

Honda still new with adding timing chain to their engine . Not like NISSAN they did add timing chain back in very early 90 I think .

All my life I been with v8 everything . I stick with Nissan and Toyota for Japanese made since they use timing chain .

Last month I bought the 09 Honda accord and 2011 Honda accord both with i4 . Within a week because i just find out these motor having timing chain instead of belt. These are first 2 Honda's I ever own lol .

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
What's wrong with timing belts?
They require replacement, typically every 100k kms. Timing chains typically last the life of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back