2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I posted in Solo2driver’s Crown Vic thread that my Mom might trade off her beloved ‘94 Mercury Grand Marquis & get a “new” 2008 Crown Victoria. Well, on Mon. 9/29 she began the process in earnest, and on Tues. 9/30 I got to drive it home for her. Mileage at drive-off: 10,138.1.
grin2.gif

It’s her first choice of color, a nice deep maroon or burgundy that she calls “wine colored”, has a little metal flake that disappears in the shade but shows nicely in sunlight. The only other Ford-certified listing, in this color, within a long way was a Grand Marquis that was twice as old, with triple the mileage, for ~$1000 more. BTW, Ford-Certified means it gets the remainder of the factory 3yr/36,000 mi bumper-bumper warranty, plus 6yr/100,000 mi power train, nice coverage for a used car.

This car has some extras she really likes- a CD/Cassette stereo (she has lots of cassettes as well as Cds), and Automatic Climate Control AC/heater, where you choose your desired interior temp & it does the rest. Her ‘90 Taurus had that feature, she really liked the automatic AC & was delighted to discover it on the Crown Victoria.

I was really impressed with how the car was serviced out- the dipstick says the salesman was right about a just-done oil change, the air filter is brand new, all fluids are at correct level, engine bay looks new. And even all 4 Michelin tires were inflated to *exactly* the correct pressure- heck, the best tire shops never get that right, in my experience. Tires are 225/60/16, on factory 9-spoke alloy wheels. Mom doesn’t even miss her whitewalls!
wink.gif

It drives & rides beautifully, far superior to the old Mercury’s best days ever- even when it had the Pirelli 400s on it. And the old Merc’s best days were some time ago. Seats are leather & power of course, and very comfortable.

I’ve driven it a little over 100 miles so far, and really like this car. Maybe I’m just getting old, but comfort, accurate steering, good ride, and a healthy engine that doesn’t even seem to notice the air-conditioner all seem like *very* good things to me. In fact, if I were in the market for a car, I’d look long & hard at a Ford Certified Crown Vic. I mean- 1 yr old, 10K mi, solid, comfortable, strong, nice, & sold for just under half of new sticker price. YMMV, but I really like this car. OK, now for pix.

Here’s Cookie the Spoiled Rotten Wonder Dog in the Mercury. Yup, it still cleaned up nicely (was actually pretty dirty there!), but had a new list of problem$ building up. You can see the “new” Ford right behind it.
dscf0263xr0.jpg
[/img]
dscf0265gi3.jpg
[/img]

And here’s the Ford in deep shade at a little park in Hughes Springs, TX. (no relation! Cookie *loves* that park. )
dscf0266pw2.jpg
[/img]
dscf0268hm0.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE a crown vic.

Get the feeling my friends would have a field day making fun of me. Awesome machines though.

And if I could get a Mercury Marauder... *drools*

Justin, it was $15K even- plus TT&L of course. She also got 2.9% financing, & chose to finance the min amount to get that rate, $7500. For everything I checked, as of last week, it's about as good a deal as any "civilian"(say, not the sales mgrs BIL or another dealership) could expect to get in our area.

Here's a link to the Ford Fleet page for the 08 models- btw, Ford calls that color Dark Toreador Red Metallic.
smirk2.gif
Link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2008fleetshowroom/2008-CrownVictoria.asp

Hmm... the dealership still has that car listed on their website. No matter, Mom says it's hers & she isn't gonna let anyone else have it!
grin2.gif
It has some pix, so here's a link to the website, for however long it lasts: http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers...lerPACode=02502

And yup, it's gonna be a road trip cruiser supreme.
19.gif

Oh yeah- Borla? Aftermarket exhaust system?
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
God, I love Crown Vic's.

Chris

Me too!

For the longest time, I hated anything with that blue oval on it. But, once upon a time I was looking for a different car. I was wanting a Caprice 9C1 but had no luck finding one in decent condition. I saw a 96 CVPI sitting in the K-Mart parking lot with a sign on it. I stopped and looked it over thinking to myself that it may not be the V8 RWD sedan I was looking for, but I'd still like to give it a test drive. Well, the old couple that owned it happened to show up just minutes later to let someone else take a closer look at it. I asked to take it for a drive, and I fell in love. I made them an offer right then and there and they accepted it. It did run a bit rough, and got very poor mileage (12mpg) but purchasing a code reader allowed me to remedy that by replacing the DPF-E sensor.

After driving this thing for 5 years, my opinion on Fords has almost completely changed. I love my Crown Victoria and I'm not ashamed to say it. I've done some work to make it run better, including a "de-restricted" exhaust and intake, as well a a combustion chamber cleaning and I'm now seeing 20mpg in the city!

Nice car - they are a great value. Hate to say it, but her old one looks like it was in pretty darn good shape. Someone will continue to get lots of miles out of that old girl.....

I was very impressed by the Mercury GMs I test-drove last year, when I first started the process of looking for a car to replace my Mercedes C230. One was the standard model, and the other was the sportified one with buckets, a console and AT shifter, and a little stiffer suspension. If my MB's transmission had acted up that day, I might very well be driving that sport model now instead of the Buick!

Nice color combo, too -- cabernet and cream, so to speak.

One of the best value cars for the money! Quiet,smooth, good highway mileage and they run forever. I see taxii cabs all the time in New York with 300,000 miles plus on the speedo and although the suspesion is a little tired, the motors run great!

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
One of the best value cars for the money! Quiet,smooth, good highway mileage and they run forever. I see taxii cabs all the time in New York with 300,000 miles plus on the speedo and although the suspesion is a little tired, the motors run great!

You've got to really try hard to kill a Ford 4.6L or 5.4L engine. They're like the Energizer Bunny. With minimal maintenance, either of those engines should go 1 million miles. Of course, the rest of the car would likely be worn out way before the engine reached that sort of mileage.

My 2001 Grand Marquis has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. It is an Ultimate Edition with every option you can think of, gets 23-25 MPG, has plenty of power, lots of room, and is enjoyable to drive. The customing tuning by SCT and Marauder Airbox/MAF really woke it up, people sure don't know what to think when they see a Grand Marquis bark the tires on a WOT shift.

These cars aren't for everyone, as shown by the dwindling sales numbers. Then again, I think they sell pretty well for a car that isn't advertised, hasn't been redesigned in 10 years, and has a "gas-guzzling" V8 stereotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back