2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - leaking radiator - Spectra brand OK?

Thanks all! I went with the Spectra - $280, and taxes pushed it to about $320. I would have preferred the Denso, but also want to get the repair done ASAP. Also considered taking the old one to a local rad shop, but that would have involved carrying it in a bike trailer across town, plus extended downtime. Basically, I had yesterday to get it done.

Also considered the possibility of the leak getting a lot worse quickly, and stranding my wife somewhere while waiting for the Denso to come in.

Anyway, the difference in cost between RA and local (c. $120) started to look insignificant compared to the potential downsides.

The job went well.

Roomy engine bay with the rad and fan housing out:
View attachment 215835

These connectors, for the fan motors, are sometimes challenging, but they came apart OK:
View attachment 215836

Old and new:
View attachment 215837

Pulled one plug while in there. This is an NGK Iridium. Gap spec is 0.050". My wire gauge only goes up to 0.045", so I can't be sure what the gap is now.

It appeared to be a bit wide, but not excessively so (55 thou?). Should there be an iridium pad on the ground electrode? If so, it has either worn away or broken off. Only c. 50K km (30K miles) on the plugs.

Engine runs well, with no misfire codes.

Change out the plugs? If so, platinum, iridium, or ruthenium?
View attachment 215838
looks about .080 from here

The wires are likely original - it's probably time @ 17 years and 254K km. No misfires though.

Are Denso plugs better than NGK?

Looking at the spark plugs for your 2007 Grand Caravan, the Denso Iridium TT seems to be the best choice. They will last the longest :)

NGK has the Iridium IX, but they don't last as long as the Laser Iridium. There is also no ruthenium listed.

Denso has the Iridium Power (similar to the NGK IX), but they don't have their equivalent Iridium Long Life (equivalent to the NGK Laser) However, the TT is also supposed to be good for at least 160k km :)

Denso and NGK are both good plugs, but for your car, the Denso TT is the only long-life iridium available for your car. For a transverse V6 minivan, iridium is a must!

The NGK wires are numbered, and they come in a snazzy blue color :D

That is a waste-fire system. It should have double precious metal plugs because half of the plugs will wear on the ground side. This appears to have happened to the one that you pulled out as the inside of the ground electrode is hollowed out.

Plastic radiators are not repairable. I'm glad you didn't haul your radiator across town to find that out. After about 15 years the plastic becomes brittle and cracks. This seems to be independent of whether it is OEM or any brand replacement. 15 years and done.

Thanks all! I went with the Spectra - $280, and taxes pushed it to about $320. I would have preferred the Denso, but also want to get the repair done ASAP. Also considered taking the old one to a local rad shop, but that would have involved carrying it in a bike trailer across town, plus extended downtime. Basically, I had yesterday to get it done.

Also considered the possibility of the leak getting a lot worse quickly, and stranding my wife somewhere while waiting for the Denso to come in.

Anyway, the difference in cost between RA and local (c. $120) started to look insignificant compared to the potential downsides.

The job went well.

Roomy engine bay with the rad and fan housing out:
View attachment 215835

These connectors, for the fan motors, are sometimes challenging, but they came apart OK:
View attachment 215836

Old and new:
View attachment 215837

Pulled one plug while in there. This is an NGK Iridium. Gap spec is 0.050". My wire gauge only goes up to 0.045", so I can't be sure what the gap is now.

It appeared to be a bit wide, but not excessively so (55 thou?). Should there be an iridium pad on the ground electrode? If so, it has either worn away or broken off. Only c. 50K km (30K miles) on the plugs.

Engine runs well, with no misfire codes.

Change out the plugs? If so, platinum, iridium, or ruthenium?
View attachment 215838
Clean the condenser!

That is a waste-fire system. It should have double precious metal plugs because half of the plugs will wear on the ground side. This appears to have happened to the one that you pulled out as the inside of the ground electrode is hollowed out.

Plastic radiators are not repairable. I'm glad you didn't haul your radiator across town to find that out. After about 15 years the plastic becomes brittle and cracks. This seems to be independent of whether it is OEM or any brand replacement. 15 years and done.
I didn't know it was a waste-spark system - thank you!

I wondered if the iridium pad was missing off the ground electrode, but a photo of the same (new) plug shows that same indentation where the pad would be.

Now I'm leaning toward replacing the plugs regardless. It's a pushrod engine, so the rear bank is not too hard.

Not trying to be argumentative- I don't think one can make such a blanket statement. None of my plastic radiators have failed and several were over 15 yrs. The one in wife's toyota is 20 yrs and going strong @160k , and 08 Honda V6 still good

Back