2005 Toyota sequoia engine replaced wont crank to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! So me and my husband replaced the engine in my 2005 Toyota sequoia. We know for a fact the new engine ran before we took it out of the other truck. After we got the engine put in and everything hooked back up the motor will not even crank to try to start. We even went as far as swapping the ecm from the other truck. We reset the ecm/security sytem and key programming. We have checked all fuses including the battery/ fuseable link. Took all the wire connections off and replugged them in. And Double checked the ground wires. We are completely stumped on what could be going on and im at my wits end with it! Is there anyone on here that has had this issue and found a solution? If anyone has any other ideas on what the heck could going on please, please let me know! TYIA!

What did you do wrong. Maybe a Toyota specialy site would be a better place to have some one diagnose your errors?

I would start by getting the Starter to crank over the engine.....Make sure the vehicle is in PARK, Rock it back & forth on the Parking Pawl to make sure! If this first step alludes you....Stop there & take it too a shop!

*Remove the Starter Relay & check for Battery Power on Cavity #5 in the underhood fuse box. The Relay should be labeled 1, 2 ,3, & 5 to help you locate the correct cavity in the fuse box. Japanese Micro relays generally have 2 wide spades & 2/3 narrow spades.....One of the Wide Cavities will be the Battery Power Source for the Starter Solenoid.

*If #5 cavity has Battery Power.....Jump Cavity #3 & #5 together.....Does the Starter turn the engine over?

*If not....Do you hear a faint Click from under the intake manifold when you jump the cavities together?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For some reason there is no power to the relay. We are currently checking the fuseable link or the wires that go from one fuse box to another. We think that somehow one of them got fried (maybe by a faulty battery charger). Im not sure what else would have caused this because the truck ran before the engine blew. The starter in under the intake manifold so we have to take that off to get to it which we havent done yet since there's no power to the fuse box.

Check the adjustment on the neutral safety switch. If not correct, it will act as if you're trying to start it in gear=no crank.

Do other parts of the car power up like the lights, radio, etc?

If you hear a noise from the starter but the engine doesn't turn try turning the engine by hand to be sure it is free to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back