2005 Legacy GT Rotella T6 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
I also have a 2005 Outback XT that has a blown turbo and is sitting in the driveway. Is there anything you've seen to help prolong the Subaru turbos other than good oil and oil changes?

Pretty much this, but to elaborate:

1. Take oil advice for people very familiar with your particular car.
2. Don't put too much faith in good uoa's with low wear numbers and comments from oil analysis labs about extending your intervals.
3. Don't out too much faith in intervals recommended by bitogers

2 and 3 cost me a blown turbo and lightened my wallet by $2k. Ever since I blew my turbo, my car has only had ACEA A3/B4 or C3 oils at 5-6k miles (except for once when the dealer threw a free oil change when I had work done). When the turbo blew, I was pushing my intervals to 7,500-8,000 miles despite Subaru just dropping the intervals on all turbos to 3,750 miles at the time. If you want some good reading check out the NASIOC Oil Selection Guide sticky in the Service & Maintence forum on nasioc.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with bluesubie for the most part, mainly when talking Subaru turbos. They seem to run hotter than other turbos, or maybe there is a little less flow of oil through them, but it definitely seems people have not had good luck going past 6k OCIs (at least for a long time period) on the EJ255/7 turbo motors. NA Subaru engines do not seem to have quite the same issues with a 7.5-10k OCI provided a good oil is used and kept topped off.

I do know that if I currently had a Subaru turbo, I would figure out how to route oil straight out of the oil cooler and feed the turbo, then take it back to the engine. If I replaced or upgraded the turbo, I would find one with ceramic bearings and then feed it cool oil. There are literally hundreds of UOAs across the 'net on Subaru turbos with xW40 oils. It's proven to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back