2005 Caravan 3.3L V6 Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 5k on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first oil analysis I have ever had done and it was done on my wifes 2005 Grand Caravan V6. Right now it has a total of almost 18k miles and she drives it about 10k or less a year. The car does idle quite a bit and it is mostly only driven in the city with maybe 30 miles a week of highway driving.

I broke the car in with the factory oil and changed to synthetic and pureone filters at about 1k. From the sample below you can see that the oil came in as a 10w-30 instead of the 5w-30 that I said I used but 10w-30 was indeed used. The reason I forgot is that I pretty much only change the oil in this car every 8 or 9 months using 5k OCI's and I had forgotten what oil I used but this is Pennzoil Platinum for sure. So let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

-

CLICK IMAGE!

Potassium = 3, Sodium = 5, another UOA would tell if there's any issues. Monitor these next time around.

Gotta laugh at B.S.'s comments as they say it's thicker, like a 10w-30. Too funny. Did they test the 40C viscosity? I doubt it. They should say "it's edging closer to the 40wt range"...

cheers.gif

Imagine that 10w-30 in a dodge 3.3 (which now specs 5w-20) and good wear results, I have a 05 grand caravan 3.3 and I'm running chevron 5w-20 I can only hope mine will be as good.

Buick, I'm new to this so do you think you can tell me if my oil got thicker or thinner than what it's supposed to be or are you saying that Dodge now wants us to put 5w-20 in our engines? Thanks.

Dodge now recommends 5w-20 in their 3.3/3.8 engines (along with others), I've been using 5w-20 in my 2005 3.3 GC. Your oil cap should say 5w-30 or 5w-20 depending on the date it was made, somewhere during the 2005 run they made the switch to 5w-20. I wouldn't hestitate to try a 5w-20 in your van if you want to. Of course 10w-30 won't kill your engine either.

Thanks for clearing that up, actually the cap on my wifes engine says 5w-30 but in the owners manual it says that as long as the vehicle is operated above 20F, it's ok to use 10w-30. I live in South Florida so it never gets that cold here. Thanks again.

Looks great. I personally wouldn't worry about K/Na. until its at least 10 higher. Newer engines seem to have a bit of K/Na. in them. Just an opinion though.
smile.gif

The Dodge 3.3/3.8 engines have been around for years, just recently they made the switch to 5w-20, I have no problem using this grade because there are a lot of good UOA's using 5w-20. I think most 5w-30 dinos are 20wt after a short amount of miles anyways. Feel comfortable using 10w-30 if it gets you good results. It's just everytime I lift the hood I see that "5W-20" on the oil cap staring at me so that's what I'll use..for now.

There is very little oil degradation here and you could safely double this service interval.

It's early yet, but the PP looks to be one of the best synlubes at this price point. Very comparable to the regular Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec from the limited data I've seen and certainly better than the "Performax" stuff.

TS

Right now I switched to Mobil 1 in my wifes car and at 5k I'm going to run another UOA to see how Mobil 1 holds up against PP. But from what I've read here, it should do better since some don't consider PP to be a real synthetic.

PP has shown many times to be a very good bargan sometimes showing lower wear metals that M-1. Who here does not consider EOP a synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back