2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L 350k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That is some great service from that vehicle. Those early 5.3L engines were great. I had a 2000 year Silverado, I have to say it was needing about $2000 in repairs at 100k miles. The major reason I got rid of it. The drivetrain was wonderful. The dash, fuel pump, ABS Sensor, etc....not so much.

I wouldn't do a think to that engine. Somehow, it has made it this far on the regimen you are doing....keep it up.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Yeah... Engine's bone stock. So I'll leave the cam as is. I'll just get the kit and change the lifters and plate.
Clinebarger, what do you think about the oil pump and the oil in the lower end? I also read that the AFM engine oil pump moves 20% more volume and when the engine is not in AFM mode, it pumps excess oil all over the piston skirts. I saw one thing saying to swap the pump and block the passage. My brother did not change the pump and he installed some kind of diverter that sends the excess oil right back into the pan.

Sorry, OP if I'm hijacking your thread.

It usually depends on what the customer wants to do.....I recommend installing a Standard Volume LS6 oil pump along with plugging the AFM relief valve in the pan. You will need a M14-1.5 shouldered plug.

The AFM relief valve is what sprays down #7 & #8 with oil......GM came out with a shield to help with the issue, Not sure if your truck had the shield installed or not?.....It would have been because of abnormal oil consumption under warranty.

If you do decide to swap the oil pump.....A camshaft upgrade is so easy to do at that point!

Check this out....Works with stock valve springs & DOES NOT require a tune! Cam Motion Stage 1

Stock LC9 cam specs.....
Duration @ .050 193°/193°
Valve Lift .482/.482
LSA/ICL 116/114

Cam Motion Grind # XA200/295-XA204/295-14+3
Duration @ .050 200°/204°
Valve Lift .501/.501
LSA/ICL 114/111

You will need a 3-bolt Cam Gear to replace your Single Bolt Cam Gear HERE
LS2 Timing Chain Damper, Replaces the failure prone Tensioner HERE
Hinson C7-R Timing Chain (Made in Germany by Iwis) HERE

These are recommended for better durability, Nothing more!

I am so doing this. That Cam Motion cam is nice. Thanks for taking the time.

My truck had almost zero warranty work and never in the engine. Unless my engine got that shield oem, it doesn't have it.
It does use oil so it probably does not have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I am so doing this. That Cam Motion cam is nice. Thanks for taking the time.

My truck had almost zero warranty work and never in the engine. Unless my engine got that shield oem, it doesn't have it.
It does use oil so it probably does not have it.

Do the heads have to come off to replace lifters on an LS motor?

Changed oil yesterday. Used Valvoline 5w-30 and a Purolator oil filter.
$13.99 total with filter (after $10 mail in rebate). We are at 351k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back