2002 Chevy Prizm 67,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an opportunity to buy this car,,,with a 6 month warranty, new tires and brakes, new emmision and mechanical insepection stickers, they replaced the right rear boot seal and the manifold shield..can buy for 5000.00 plus t/t.
any suggestions?

It's basically a 2002 Toyota Corolla. I'd offer 4000.
cool.gif

it's from a dealer, it was being offered at 6000 for the last few months, I offered 4500, he said 5000 and I have a deal..

The price is not bad. I'm just generally cheap.

My sister had 2 Prizms, both when they were Geo instead of Chevy. No problems to speak of. I also recommended one for a friend of mine, he bought it with 115,000 miles on it and kept it until 200,000 miles, at which point it was still running fine.

Lucerne, I had an 89 5 door Prizm, and it was a great little car. As said, basically a GM (NUMMI) Corrola

I had no major problems. It was easy to work on, low maintainence and good gas mileage. Had to replace the front CV boots a couple times, and a timing belt. Had about 110k when my son totaled it, not his fault.

Never got what it was worth to me. That car had a lot left in it.

$5k, sounds like a max out on that car, but 67k miles is low. Got any history?

If you're not in need of a car then offer $3.5k and if they don't take it then walk. If they are as desperate as some of the ones I've encountered recently then they will call you. Then negotiate to no more than $4k. It carries a GM badge so it should depreciate like one. Large car dealers seem to mark their used cars up by at least $2000 over what they are actually worth. Add in tax, tag, title, and dealer fees onto the $5k price tag and you'll end up spending about $6k on a 7 year old economy car.

Last edited:
I got him to 4700.00 I thinks it's a good deal..very fair... Kelly Blue book for dealer is 6700.00 and private seller is 5500. Comes with 6 month warranty and a carfax report shows the car was dealer serviced every 3000-4000 miles for oil changes and at all service intervals..no problems show up or reported. It only 200.00 more then my original offer to him..I also am getting a FULL tank of gas,fiqure thats at least another 25.00 bucks in my pocket..He also said he would provide me with all of the service records on the car..I guess over all not too bad, maybe could of done a few hundred better, but I needed the car..

They're great cars - you'll get years and years of use out of it.

What are YOUR maintenance plans for it?

I picked it up today...REAL CLEAN...denso alternator, all fluids full,clean, etc...runs smooth, has great service records, but a few things,,I checked the coolant it was RED??? even though it says in the owners manual to use GM-1825 spec(i think)not sure when last time changed ,maybe at 30,000 3 years ago...also has the original battery (I thing) ok starting,,,no green eye showing...and the owners manual says to only change the auto trans fluid and spark plugs(irridium) at 120,000...what do you think??

Last edited:
we've owned many a PRIZM , COROLLA . The coolant color is normal . I had the iridium spark plugs changed at around 75,000 miles , making for mileage increase and a bit more get up and go . They were NGK , if I remember right . Also , check the air filter housing for entrance by mice . These cars are notorious for mice or chipmunks getting into the blower motor and the air filter housing . I've seen them chew through the air filter and get into the throttle body . May want to check the condition of the AIR FILTER too while you're at it . Last , may want to replace the PCV valve as well . Not very expensive and fairly easy to replace . Located on the drivers side of valve cover . Probably need to remove plastic engine cover for easier access ( plastic push ins , remove when engine coldest ) . Best to get the PCV valve from TOYO dealer , same thread as COROLLA and less money than GM parts department . If you have other questions feel free to ask . I'll try to help the best I can . ;- ) ENJOY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back