2001 Grand Marquis / CrownVic / Parking Brake Issues - way too much slack in the cable?

It's the same car for 20 years but so many differences in year to year.

96-2002 have a different parking brake setup than 92-95 and 03-11. The parking brake cable has been sagging for a while. It did work up until it didn't. I like having working parking brakes on my vehicles.

I had to put new rotors on the rear of the car over the weekend. I also did new parking brake shoes, hardware. The cables to the levers are working as expected. The lever / pivot cam things were frozen solid. Loosened up the backing plate and got those out, freed up and working. I adjusted the shoes and got everything good.

However, the problem I'm having is the parking brake cable is still has a lot of slack. If I go all the way to the floor it'll barely pull on the levers.

I am finding very conflicting information online. Unfortunately any pictures that would have showed up on forums, etc were hosted on sites like photobucket which have long since disappeared.

So does any one know ... Can I adjust the slack on the main cable? I keep seeing that there is an adjuster at the end of the main cable but I'm not seeing it on mine.

Or is the slack adjuster only limited to the spring equalizer on the passenger side cable?

I almost thought about getting one of those weird dorman parking slack things but they seem to break easily.

The outer part of one or more of the cables will rust and collapse. This causes the whole system to become slack. The rust is usually underneath the plastic sheath.

Last edited:
The outer part of one or more of the cables will rust and collapse. This causes the whole system to become slack. The rust is usually underneath the plastic sheath.
Interesting! If it wasn't a dash pull to replace the main cable going to the pedal, I'd just order all three.

Aww c'mon, Easy dash removal, It's an MGM/CV.
How many miles on your '01?
143000. It's about to get some timing chains / tensioners / guides.

I did my best to try to avoid pulling the dash when the blend door actuator failed.

Back