Small independent shop quoted outrageous brake repair price. Is this the norm?

Well the 2nd shop came back at $605.25 but this was for front and back oddly enough. I can easily do a pad and rotor swap on the Fronts myself. They told me the backs can be turned and saved. Is this wise with blueing as the right side seized.

High prices? Like the post above if they can find a good tech it will cost. Then the rent on the shop and overhead the list goes on and on.
I say for ones that don't like the high prices to first go rent a shop building with insurance and all the other overhead, then buy the expensive tools and such off a truck. Then pull your car in and do it yourself. That is the first job in your new business. Now to full fill your lease obligations just get more work and if you don't want to turn expensive wrenches everyday, start hiring mechanics. Oh yeah there are not many around. Its called putting yourself in the other guys shoes. Paying 4 grand for a brake job is easier than doing what I said above.
Maybe unrealistic but I’ve been told if you don’t own the land and building, don’t open a business. You can be very good at running your business but simply be wiped out by the landlord at any given time, year 1, year 35, or on a whim

Last edited:
I wasn't saying I wanted it done free but when you can go to any parts store and get a complete set of parts for left and right for $ 90 out the door then $366 per side is price gouging.

Did you confirm the exact parts they were going to install?

Well the 2nd shop came back at $605.25 but this was for front and back oddly enough. I can easily do a pad and rotor swap on the Fronts myself. They told me the backs can be turned and saved. Is this wise with blueing as the right side seized.
you just want that shop to do the rears due to the parking brake and cable, right? If $300, just get er did?

you just want that shop to do the rears due to the parking brake and cable, right? If $300, just get er did?
I'm waiting for a quote for just the rears. The shop said that the rears were fine and turnable. The first shop told me the parts had blueing indicating really high heat. I will say the right rear drum temp when I got home was 300 degrees and the left was 142 F.

Well the shop wants $887.24 for new shoes cables and drums. Just the fronts were the above amount. At first they told me the parts were good and could be salvaged. Now it's " there's lots of rust and nothing can be fixed." Now I'm REALLY suspicious. Oh and I went online to Advance Auto parts and yeah i know insurance hourly rates yada yada cost. The hardware kit is $20 the drums are $55 to $65 per side and shoes are $35 to $55 per side.

Well the shop wants $887.24 for new shoes cables and drums. Just the fronts were the above amount. At first they told me the parts were good and could be salvaged. Now it's " there's lots of rust and nothing can be fixed." Now I'm REALLY suspicious. Oh and I went online to Advance Auto parts and yeah i know insurance hourly rates yada yada cost. The hardware kit is $20 the drums are $55 to $65 per side and shoes are $35 to $55 per side.
Can you DIY the rear drums? I’ve never done them, but I did accidentally yank the LS430s left rear rotor off, without releasing the parking brake. The shoes and springs went flying and I was able to reassemble them. At > $800 I’d likely try to DIY

High prices? Like the post above if they can find a good tech it will cost. Then the rent on the shop and overhead the list goes on and on.
I say for ones that don't like the high prices to first go rent a shop building with insurance and all the other overhead, then buy the expensive tools and such off a truck. Then pull your car in and do it yourself. That is the first job in your new business. Now to full fill your lease obligations just get more work and if you don't want to turn expensive wrenches everyday, start hiring mechanics. Oh yeah there are not many around. Its called putting yourself in the other guys shoes. Paying 4 grand for a brake job is easier than doing what I said above.
Rather than price- it's value for $ and a competent job which isn't guaranteed btw unless the wheel falls off back out of the shop..

More than most repairs, standard brake service at the shop is a low parts cost high labor endeavor. One can add parts(rotors) and still be under 1/2 the cost at the shop.

I just did two complete brake jobs, front & back. This was on the Honda CR-V, 2005/73k miles, 2017/92k, both original brakes. I shudder to think what it cost at the shop.

I can't get the image to post but the breakdown is as follows
Brake shoes $37.87
Brake drums $147.48
Hardware Kit $ 14.27
Brake Cables $31.98 × 2 $63.96
Rear brake shoes drums remove and replace $261.00
Hazardous materials $13.05
Total $576.43

I can't get the image to post but the breakdown is as follows
Brake shoes $37.87
Brake drums $147.48
Hardware Kit $ 14.27
Brake Cables $31.98 × 2 $63.96
Rear brake shoes drums remove and replace $261.00
Hazardous materials $13.05
Total $576.43
sounds reasonable for a near complete re-do.

Back