2 Vintage Lawn Tractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I was driving to dinner last night (in a rural area) and I turned back around on an old county road because I saw 2 vintage lawn tractors for sale.

I didn't take pics, but I briefly looked them over. Later that night I called the owner. Guy is 90 years old. Honest salt-of-the-Earth kind of guy.

1970's Wheel Horse with mower deck. 12HP Kohler. He says it runs and works as it should. The other was a 1967 Cub Cadet. I think a 122 or 124.... No sure. Was "restored" 25 years ago. 12HP Kohler that was bored to 14HP he says. It also has a mower deck on it.

Both tractors look complete, straight bodies, and no rust. He told me they run and operate great.

He's asking $300 for the Wheel Horse. $500 forthe Cub. Good buys??

Last edited:
Both are well built classics and the Kohler engines were the bees knees back in the day, especially the K series. I have a tiller with a K model engine and it still runs great after 50 years. Tractordata.com has all the specs on both tractors and mytractorforum.com is the go to site for anything tractor and OPE related. Go to mytractorforum and scroll down to the Garden Tractor forum for any and all things related to these tractors. I sold my 1964 John Deere 110 for $900 a few years ago and have regretted it since.

I'd do it
smile.gif

Not too familiar with either one, but the early model tractors usually don't have a floating deck. If you have a level property you won't care, but when mowing hills you can get stairsteps.

Other than that, I would jump one either one, especially the Wheel Horse.

My uncle had a Wheel Horse w/ 12hp Kohler, I believe it was a Charger and it had 3 speed hydrostatic transmission where you just pushed the lever forward to which gear you wanted and pulled it back for reverse, it also had a lift that raised and lowered the deck for you as well. I remember it always running well but wouldn't charge the battery so he'd charge it up beforehand and used it sparingly, it was probably just the stator but he said the part was hard to find, this was probably 25 years ago and the internet hadn't really taken off yet.

sounds like a good deal...just can't beat the old iron ...parts should be relatively easy to find yet.. thanks to the internet I can still get parts for my bolens large frame 1886 ,vintage 1972

Got them both. $600 for the pair. Both fired right up in the rain and cold temps. Everything works as it should. No smoke from either tractor.

Gearbox in both (no hydrostatic), both have hitches. Both have Kohlers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WOW! They look to be unmolested originals. It's rare to see the original deck belt/pulley covers as most people toss them. I'm pretty sure you can still get the seat pad for the cub and I think the rear light on the cub is factory IIRC. More pics when you get the chance please. And check out the mytractorforum website but be careful.....these little tractors can be addictive! Nice find and price!

Nice find! They look clean.

It's been some years since I've been into it, but some IH Cub parts can be hard to find.

Yes you did very well, I wouldn't turn down a nice Wheel Horse or Cub. I collect Simplicity's mainly and I have an Allis B-12 that I'd like to start on at some point but have other projects in the way before I can start on that. I don't know a whole lot about the Cub's but I know that a lot of them get turned into pulling tractors because of their horizontal engine and the driveline setup that is just like a front engine rwd setup in a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Merek
Yes you did very well, I wouldn't turn down a nice Wheel Horse or Cub. I collect Simplicity's mainly and I have an Allis B-12 that I'd like to start on at some point but have other projects in the way before I can start on that. I don't know a whole lot about the Cub's but I know that a lot of them get turned into pulling tractors because of their horizontal engine and the driveline setup that is just like a front engine rwd setup in a vehicle.

Post pics of the B-12!! A friend collects old Simplicities and Allis Chalmers. He has a B-1 that his father purchased when it was a year old, and he also just picked up a B-12.

The cubs have the same gear drive transmission that is found on the larger Farmall Cub and Cub lo-boy which is what makes them excellent for pulling.

Just found out that the Wheel Horse is a 1973...and Fairly desirable. Might do a full restoration on that one.

Isn't the WH a 10-8? Those are super tractors. The deck looks like 36" or 42" rear discharge, those are fabulous decks. Blades for the 36" were hard to find, but are out there. They mow awesome. I had a 140 w/ rear discharge 36" and loved it, what a tank. Someone took excellent care of those old beasts!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bchannell
Isn't the WH a 10-8? Those are super tractors. The deck looks like 36" or 42" rear discharge, those are fabulous decks. Blades for the 36" were hard to find, but are out there. They mow awesome. I had a 140 w/ rear discharge 36" and loved it, what a tank. Someone took excellent care of those old beasts!

Yep. 10-8 with rear discharge. Not sure if it's a 36" or 42" though. Haven't looked that much into yet. I'll start digging this week into them.

I'm thinking of sending the WH down to a guy in Kentucky who will do a complete restoration on it.

Lots of parts around for the K-series Kohler engines, easy to rebuild, ball bearing crankshafts.Excellent power for the rating.I am running an old MSD 6 box on a Case 220 Garden tractor for the ignition.It uses the points for a trigger.Just an idea for you.works great.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Post pics of the B-12!! A friend collects old Simplicities and Allis Chalmers. He has a B-1 that his father purchased when it was a year old, and he also just picked up a B-12.

The cubs have the same gear drive transmission that is found on the larger Farmall Cub and Cub lo-boy which is what makes them excellent for pulling.

Thanks, I've seen the B-1, Big-Ten, B-110, B-112 but never the B-12 until I found this one which I knew they were made but must be not many of them around. I think for the most part everything is practically the same from the B-10 to B-12 with the exception of the engine obviously and I think the front tires/wheels are larger on the B-12.

Wheel Horse was great up until Toro purchased them and cheapened them out with all those plastics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back