2 Minute EASY Headlight Restoration

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Well aren't you lucky?

Actually...no.

That's the whole point...luck has nothing to do with it.

Some simple, quick, and easy care helps avoid those hideous-looking headlights that only come as a result of neglect.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Well aren't you lucky?

Actually...no.

That's the whole point...luck has nothing to do with it.

Some simple, quick, and easy care helps avoid those hideous-looking headlights that only come as a result of neglect.

... or as a result of harsh conditions. If you've seen my many other posts regarding detailing, you'll know I try to keep my car physically in top shape. The paint is in amazing condition, despite the harsh Phoenix heat, sun, and dust, etc.. even at 9 years of age.

..and yet, my headlamp lenses have gotten quite oxidized. Plastic lenses, regardless of what you do, are going to oxidize worse/faster than paint. It's going to happen when it regularly exceeds 110F during the summer and 320+ days a year are full sun.

... or as a result of harsh conditions. If you've seen my many other posts regarding detailing, you'll know I try to keep my car physically in top shape. The paint is in amazing condition, despite the harsh Phoenix heat, sun, and dust, etc.. even at 9 years of age.

..and yet, my headlamp lenses have gotten quite oxidized. Plastic lenses, regardless of what you do, are going to oxidize worse/faster than paint. It's going to happen when it regularly exceeds 110F during the summer and 320+ days a year are full sun.

I knew there was a reason I didn't want to ever live in the hot desert...you just never know what you'll find...
50.gif

Yes - I am aware that you are quite diligent at car care - no question about it. In those unusual and extreme conditions...especially constant UV exposure...shy of many more frequent treatments (and a garage), you're at the total mercy of the elements it appears.

People on such high horses because their headlights aren't yellow.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
People on such high horses because their headlights aren't yellow.

Yeah...and we don't eat yellow snow here either unlike other parts of the country...

As for the horse....

18.gif

U-pol clear spray paint on amazon was recommended years ago on bitog as a top clear coat paint. I now use it every time I do this to a vehicle, and once. it's $18 a can but it works and after 3-4 years there's no yellowing, or very, very little. It's just a little tricky to put on right as it goes on fast, runs easily, but takes 5 minutes to settle, so practicing on something else FIRST is a good idea.

-m

Just some evidence to support the NHHemi method. A friend stopped by with her 10+ year old Toyota while I was working in the garage. I had a bottle of Totally Awesome near so i offered to shine the yellow lights. I started with Awesome and wiped away the yellow gunk. I forgot about the glass cleaner and did not have metal polish, so I went straight for the Meguiars 105 applied by hand. I then hit the lights with some syn Turtle Wax ICE. I thought it turned out pretty nice for about 10 min work. Of course, a little more work and some 2000 grit paper could have made it better but it is much better than before.

2018-09-27 07.32.28.jpg

20180925_171947-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SOHCman
The real secret is you need to give it a good coat of UV clear coat paint to protect it for longer than 6 months(after polishing). Otherwise you will be polishing every 6 months.

I don't believe any coating exists that will keep them from becoming hazy or re-yellowing. I've tried many UV coatings on mine and all they have done is make it more difficult to repolish them again. It's easier once you do whatever procedure you use for making them clear to just keep redoing that process to keep them that way...

Originally Posted by grampi

I don't believe any coating exists that will keep them from becoming hazy or re-yellowing. I've tried many UV coatings on mine and all they have done is make it more difficult to repolish them again. It's easier once you do whatever procedure you use for making them clear to just keep redoing that process to keep them that way...

^this

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by SOHCman
The real secret is you need to give it a good coat of UV clear coat paint to protect it for longer than 6 months(after polishing). Otherwise you will be polishing every 6 months.

You need a real automotive clear coating on them for the most longevity.

slomo

lots of options for sure + totally awsome costs more these days unless the $1 was a very small amount. i drive little at night but my 10 YO Fronty headlights could use some TLC for sure!!

Metal cleaners work! I use Megwires Mag Polish about once a month, followed by Megires UV coating on our Bug, which fade if you look at them wrong (very poor plastic). My Camry is good for a couple months as it is parked in the garage, and I park at work facing East so the afternoon sun does not hit the headlights.

I think that South Texas sun turns everything on my ford into jelly.

My steering wheel is coming apart and the headlights are yellowing and I've used 3m kits twice so far.

Our old Scion, every piece of rubber had dry rotted and was falling apart in clumps.

We wash both cars once a week and use spray wax.

Do you dilute the LA ? Says to do so on bottle .
I used it straight from the bottle but it would probably work well if diluted. Spray it on a towel and wipe the lens, or you will need to redo the wax in areas where it touches the paint.

Back