1996 BMW M3 (3.2L), Motul 300V 5w-40, 3629 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in service late summer through early winter. 50/50 city/highway with hard driving (once warm), no track days.

Consumption was HUGE: 1 qt every 600 miles or so. However, after seeing this report and doing some reading, I replaced my cyclonic oil separator (part of the crankcase ventilation system) and found that the old one was getting sludged up. That may have had something to do with it.

The one thing that puzzles me is the tin spike. If anyone has some input on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Previous oils shown in the report are Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 and Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30 (in order of appearance).

300VUOA.jpg

Mori: Why do you say that?

RI_RS4: Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't see it on any of the VOAs on this board but those are old.

Why is the flashpoint so low? Is this due to the lab method?

Also where is Manganese reading?

Last edited:
Regarding the flash point, some of it might be the measurement method used but a lot of it is because of the fuel dilution. This particular oil's flash point is relatively high (in the neighborhood of 450 F if memory serves), so a reading of 300 F is definitely significant.

I don't even know the importance of Mn so I can't even guess why it's not in the report. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

Manganese is sometimes a fuel additive. I don't see 300F flashpoint in a closed-cup test as cause for concern. It's a whole different ballgame than the open-cup test results in used oils that we are used to seeing. Same with the FTIR fuel dilution method.

How high has the oil consumption been with different oils in the engine's past? Is that much consumption even high for an M3?

The oil appears to have had plenty of life left in it based on the TBN, TAN, nitration, and low soft metal wear levels.

Originally Posted By: JAG
How high has the oil consumption been with different oils in the engine's past?

BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30: 1 qt/1000 mi
Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC): 1 qt/1200 mi
Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30: 1 qt/1600 mi
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40: 1 qt/1100 mi

Is that much consumption even high for an M3?

I always hear that anything from zero to 1 qt per 1000 miles is normal with street driving.

I don't see 300F flashpoint in a closed-cup test as cause for concern. It's a whole different ballgame than the open-cup test results in used oils that we are used to seeing.

Ur right I am used to seeing the other numbers and that is why 300 seems so low but Terry's warning point is 375 and this oil is 300. ??

saaber1,
if you look at other UOAs done by the lab that did the above analysis, I think you'll be hard pressed to find many that have a flashpoint of at least 375F. So 375F is a high number for a warning point using this closed cup method, IMO. I think it's a good warning point for the open cup method that Blackstone and many other labs use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back