1994 DAKOTA WHAT ATF, DIFF FLUID, PS FLUID TO USE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:
going to change atf, diff, and perhaps ps fluid on 1994 dakota 2wd auto no ls on diff. prefer AAP for coupon reasons if good deal. 200k on truck.Royal Purple is AAP synthetic $13 qt says needs 4 unless complete change which they claim is a rebuild, various stories on diff brands and weight, aap synthetic (mobil) says LS type, ok to use in non LS? Thoughts on type and quantity? want to extend life and maybe slightly better mileage. Thanks.

On a truck that has that many miles I would use the following to save some dough, Wal Mart Super Tech ATF+4 for the tranny, AAP-Valvoline 80w-90 for the diff, AAP-Prestone PS Fluid.

Considering that your car is pretty high-mileage, I'd do the following:

I suspect the truck may call for ATF+3, but ATF+4 is the follow-on spec and is backwards compatible. That being said, get the cheapest ATF+4 you can find; since Chrysler has such stringent licensing requirements(a particular required add pack, 3 base stock suppliers), the differences between brands are negligible.

For the gear oil, I'd get whatever viscosity is recommended, but not spend the extra for synthetic unless the owner's manual specifically calls for it. With 200k on the car, you'll almost certainly get rid of it before you will need to replace even the cheap gear oil again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back