1978 Volare Wagon Slant Six Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very robust, stout, long-lived engine. Powerful? No. But hard to kill. (Typically true of all the old I-6 engines from Ford, GM and Chrysler. They make decent torque and last forever if you do simple routine maintenance).

Any decent 5w-30 or 10w-30 "normal" PCMO would do just fine. I suspect you have no reason to get anything more than that.

The choice of syns should be predicated on your OCI plan. If fuel dilution is a concern, then shorter OCIs might be warranted, and then most certainly syns are not needed.

I suggest you do a couple short OCIs to flush out any unknowns, then run perhaps a 3k mile OCI and get a UOA; that way you'll know where you're at before making any grand decisions.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

Originally Posted By: maybehabitformin
I wouldnt use anything thicker than 10w30.If it where mine I would use 5w30 the engine specs for 10w30 but that is the old way of thinking.90% of wear is on start up so if you use 5w30 you have less start up wear and its the same viscosity at temp.If that isnt enough look at the car makers back specing lighter oils.Some of you need to read motor oil university.And yes it may give you some gas mileage increase.

You’re assuming that the 90% of wear occurs because of a lack of lubricant flow, which is not the case. The cold moving components, inactivated AW package, and acid buildup from the previous shutdown/cooling all add to startup wear during the next cold start. Also, unless it is very cold out, the flow difference between a 5 and 10 W30 will not be perceptible in this engine design, along with comparing gas mileage between the two grades.

Slanty, having said all that, I think Maxlife 5W30 would be a great choice for your 225. Although the differences between the 5/10W30 in your application would be hard to measure, I'm more of the opinion that 10W30 is obsolete. If it does get "very" cold, you're covered with a 5W30 - so why not run it year round? I have started phasing out most grades besides 5W30 (or 5W20 where applicable) in my oil stash unless I find an exceptional deal. I've been using 5W30 in my trail Jeep for all seasons and it's worked out well (including hard use in Moab, UT). I will say however, that I've had very good results from my Delo SAE30 and 10W40's too (although with a bit more parasitic drag).

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
While it would cost too much to do that with new parts, you probably could pull the entire system from an engine of similar displacement from something on its way to the junk yard. Though one of the main problems in doing it that way is the wiring harness requirement.

Jim, I have seen a Jeep 4.0L engine management system installed on a 225 and it ran great. I don’t remember how they modified the distributor, but as both engines share the same firing order, I’d bet it wasn’t too bad to do.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: maybehabitformin
I wouldnt use anything thicker than 10w30.If it where mine I would use 5w30 the engine specs for 10w30 but that is the old way of thinking.90% of wear is on start up so if you use 5w30 you have less start up wear and its the same viscosity at temp.If that isnt enough look at the car makers back specing lighter oils.Some of you need to read motor oil university.And yes it may give you some gas mileage increase.

You’re assuming that the 90% of wear occurs because of a lack of lubricant flow, which is not the case. The cold moving components, inactivated AW package, and acid buildup from the previous shutdown/cooling all add to startup wear during the next cold start. Also, unless it is very cold out, the flow difference between a 5 and 10 W30 will not be perceptible in this engine design, along with comparing gas mileage between the two grades.

Slanty, having said all that, I think Maxlife 5W30 would be a great choice for your 225. Although the differences between the 5/10W30 in your application would be hard to measure, I'm more of the opinion that 10W30 is obsolete. If it does get "very" cold, you're covered with a 5W30 - so why not run it year round? I have started phasing out most grades besides 5W30 (or 5W20 where applicable) in my oil stash unless I find an exceptional deal. I've been using 5W30 in my trail Jeep for all seasons and it's worked out well (including hard use in Moab, UT). I will say however, that I've had very good results from my Delo SAE30 and 10W40's too (although with a bit more parasitic drag).

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
While it would cost too much to do that with new parts, you probably could pull the entire system from an engine of similar displacement from something on its way to the junk yard. Though one of the main problems in doing it that way is the wiring harness requirement.

Jim, I have seen a Jeep 4.0L engine management system installed on a 225 and it ran great. I don’t remember how they modified the distributor, but as both engines share the same firing order, I’d bet it wasn’t too bad to do.

To the OP, there you go, a low cost way to get better MPGs, though is is more complicated than just selecting an oil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW there is a ballace resistor on the ignition system and they can burn out anytime.

The 60's versions of the 225 and its smaller brother had a single resistor. The 70's versions have a duel resistor set-up. It is a white ceramic module mounted to the fire-wall by one bolt. There are two electric connections (one on each side) and each has two electric connections. One of those resistors is used to supply a hotter spark during starting. The other is used during run.

If the start resistor burns out you will not have spark while cranking.

If the run resistor burns out you will get spark during cranking, but as soon as you stop cranking you will have no spark and the engine will die.

Get a spare ballace resistor module and put in in the glove box. If the one on the vehicle dies you can swap in the new one without even bolting it to the firewall initally just to get the vehicle going, and then bolt it when you get a chance.

Those ballace resistors are about the only problem with the 225. So just get a spare and put it in the glove box. I had one in my 1976 Volare, and during the first year of driving the resistor did burn out. I was in the middle of nowhere with nothing but snow a far as the eye could see. I poped the hood, unsnapped both electric connections from the original and snapped in the new one and was back on my way. Bolted the new one down the next day when I could get a socket and ratchet. I got an other new ballace resistor and put that in the glove box. Drove it for years and left that second new ballace resistor in the glove box when I sold it.

One day a 60's Chrysler station wagon was going up the hill in front of my house and it died right in the middle of the street. I was on the porch, and said to the owner, it probably is the ballace resistor. If you give me ten bucks, I will drive down the hill to the auto store and bring back a ballace resistor and your change. He did, and we snapped it in and it fired right up.

So get a new spare duel ballace resistor and put it the glove box. It is cheep insurance that will get that vehicle going in a few minutes if you ever need it.

Fuel wash off of cylinder oil can be a major problem, but unless you have been messing with the carb and have it running really rich, it is not the main source of were.

I have a brother who did destroy an Chevy 350 by having the pistons eat the cylinder for one year with a really rich carb, but that was running way too rich.

Last edited:
I pump my 84 Jeep Cherokees 255,738 mile GM 2.8V6s Rochester VariJet about 15 pumps every morning to get her started(Wired Open choke, no choke faulty), and then let her idle for 10 to 20 minutes before taking off. If that isnt a Fuel Wash, I dont know waht is. Also has over 26,000 miles and almost 6 years(April 2007) on current oil and oil filter, 3 quarts Accel ND30, 1 quart SuperTech 5w-20 and ST3387A filter. Around 2 1/2 quarts make-up of various ND30s.

Last edited:
I run my -73 225 on hdeo 10w-40 all year round.
The tranny (tf 904g) uses dex3 but i have atf+4 in mine and that hasent given me any trouble.
My rear gets 80w-140.

Get some Quaker State Defy on sale or at Wal-mart. It is a high mileage oil, and has higher zinc and phosphorous that engine needs with the old style (non-roller) lifters. Either that, or get some HDEO, which has higher anti-wear and detergency than regular PCMO's. I can't imagine that engine would need anything more viscous than a 10W-30, and that is probably what I would use.

I had a 1977 Volare with the 225 six and never thought anything about that car was weak. I was a very good car and the six got low 20's mileage on the highway. About 18-19 combined.

My dad never told me what oil he ran in his 1977 Plymouth Volare. All he said was that a repair to the ignition system in 1978 cost a lot of money, and that when he divorced his first wife, he was glad to see her get the car during the divorce settlement.

However, knowing what he did with his other cars, I would be he used conventional Castrol in whatever viscosity the manual asked for.

I had a 1976 Plymouth Volare.....the floorboards were rusted thru so I used to keep the floor mats over the holes to keep water from splashing in while driving in the rain......:)

For oil I used to drain the 20-50 out of my Harley and dump it right into the Volare....the slant six drank that stuff and never missed a beat. Ya can't kill those motors.

I don't think that cylinder wash is an issue on slant sixes as they are well known for being nearly indestructible. To minimize any liquid fuel from puddling on the manifold floor, it is a good idea to make sure that your manifold heat control valve is good working order. Use Mopar Manifold Heat Control Valve Solvent. It is also a good idea to make sure that your Heated Air Inlet System is in good working order.

I am currently using Duron-E 15W-40 in my slant six, which is equipped with a stock oil pump and a hemi oil spring (70 psi relief). I get about 40-50 psi at idle and 70 psi above. Even with a few top-ups of Rotella T 10W-30, the pressure remains high. If you're not burning oil, it would be OK to use Rotella T5 10W-30 but Rotella T would be cheaper. Unless your oil is extremely hot, there is no need to use a 40-weight oil in a slant six.
Chrysler Oil Recommendations

Your transmission was spec'd for Dexron ATF. You can use either Dexron VI or ATF+4 but generic DexronIII/Mercon would work fine.

Since your axle doesn't have any brass in it, you can use GL-5 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. When I changed my 7-1/4 axle's gear oil last year, I removed the axle cover to let it all drain out and I was surprised to see everything covered in a fine layer of metal particles. I washed it out with brake cleaner a few times and refilled it a synthetic 75W-90.

My younger brother had a diplomat with a slant six. I came home for Christmas and was checking on my moms van when he rolled in. The car was making a heckuva racket. I checked the oil and saw none on the dipstick. He proceeds to tell me its been making that noise for months. I added 5 quarts of oil before it read full. Which means he was driving without oil for quite a while. That car ran for a few more years before it was totalled.
Great motors.

My step-father blew one of those up on the highway in a 1975 Duster...it was an old beater, tho...but I still think the AMC I-6's were better engines.

My vote for oil is Quaker State Defy 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: SlantyNW1990
I have a 78 Plymouth Wagon with a 225 slant six and a 2bbl carburator.
i was thinking of running Shell Rotella synthetic because of the cylinder wall wash you get with carbed engines.I plan on using this as a daily driver.Am i right on track to use synthetic oil in the trans and rear axle also?

Nice car, I had a '77 slant six with 4 speed overdrive. Rotella 5w40 would work well IMO, since it was originally spec'd for 10w40. Fuel dilution (as mentioned previously) might be an issue, so if you are thinking of longer intervals, best to increase gradually with UOAs. I used to run mine to 3000 miles on conventional with no problems.

Rear axle should benefit from synthetic also; can't speak for the transmission, though both DexronII and Type F were both allowed "in the day", so any quality fluid should be good.

Frame weakness was mentioned; there IS a spot just behind the firewall; it's not inherently weak but rather rusts out before the rest of the frame. There are (or used to be) pieces that could be welded to make the repair; an inspection on the inside of the frame rails will show the condition.

Enjoy your "Leaning Tower of Power"!

Last edited:
The slantsix went from 1960 to 1986 in cars/trucks.
They where also used in tons of industrial applications running gas,LP, and NG. They got oil specs all over the map.
As long as it has clean oil in the sump it will be happy. It doesnt care what you use.

The only real change the cast iron slants got was in 1981 they got hydrolic lifters. Your '78 has solid lifters. When you adjust them besure that you dont over tighen them. Its better to be on the loose side rather then to tight. To tight and you can burn a valve.

The 904 transmision is also not picky or hard on fluids. It will run fine on ANY atf. Dextron 1,III, +4, Type F, what ever. It will also run with 20w motor oil but prob not a good idea for long term. The 904 came out in 1960 also and saw use until the 1990's. Just make sure you keep the bands in good adjustment and dont over tighten them.

+1 for spare ballast resistor in the glove box! Had a '74 Swinger as a dd 10 years ago. 225+904 combo will go on forever while the rest of the car will rot away from around it.

I used to run 20W-50 Castrol in it. These things were designed to run on straight 30 weight in the first place, so pretty much anything classified as a motor oil these days will be just fine. If I had to recommend something, I'd say just plain conventional Delo or Rotella.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back