'99 Ranger 2.5L, Freshly Rebuilt engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another oil recommendation thread!

I have a '99 Ford Ranger XLT with a 2.5L I4 with 195k miles on it. I blew a head gasket and damaged the head so I did a full rebuild of the engine.

All the bores are standard, had the cylinder walls honed. New Sealed Power rings, new Clevite bearings in the cam, rods, and crank. New seals all around. New valves and valve seals. Oil pump is original.

I'm running Shell Rotella T 15-W40 for my startup/break in fluid. I did the same when I rebuilt my Miata, in retrospect perhaps specific break in oil would be ideal but I went with what I was used to.

I'm not a brand loyalist other than I like to stick with what I've been using (apart from break in oil.) I run Valvoline Max Life Dex/Mex ATF in the trans, Mobile 1 Syn 75-W140 in the diff, and NAPA brand Dex/Mex ATF in the power steering system. So I'm open to whatever brand, I just plan on sticking with it after I drop it in.

In another 1k miles I plan on dumping the Rotella and switching to factory recommended 5-W30 and going Full Synthetic. The engine will not be driven hard, just a daily commuter and occasional hauler. I doubt I'll ever see the 6k rev limiter or even go above 5k, so no abuse or racing. I'm using Purolator Pure One filters which I saw was quite recommended on this site along with Wix. I'm fine ordering online or going to a store, I have tons of auto shops near me and of course a Wally World. I'd ideally like to go 5k on an oil change, 7.5 or 10k if possible but that feels like a stretch goal with such an old engine, even with new bearings and seals.

My initial thought was just run to the local Auto Zone and grab a few 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 Syn and call it a day. Any reason I should look at any other brands or even weights? I see a lot about 0-W30 around the forums but haven't been able to find a reason why go for 0 when the factory rec was 5wt?

Thank you for your time.

I would just use conventional Pennzoil. 5k minimum, 7.5k+ would be doable.
I know you said syn, but considering the usage, there really isnt any reason.
If you must stick with syn, I would use QS Advanced.

Last edited:
Why go conventional? I seem to see a lot of raving about full synthetic on the forums. When and why is it appropriate to use conventional?

I'm fine using conventional, no big deal there, I just assumed (maybe due to marketing) that synthetic was better.

What's going on with the viscosity selections here?

15w-40? Both 5w-20, and 5w-30 are appropriate for a '99 2.5

75w-140? 75/80w-90 is recommended.

Break in your engine on any conventional 5w-30. Go for the full 5K. PYB would work fine. No reason to switch to synthetics until everything is mated and broken-in.

Don't baby that engine... Seat those rings!

yes Id start with PYB and change at 1200, 2500, 5000 miles. At that point Id go with a syn for a 3-5000mi OCI with UOA to see how things are doing. Can extend from there.

75-W140 is what I had seen recommended online. I don't have the manual and have been relying on others for information. Where did you see 80-w90? I should probably change that if I got it wrong... (EDIT: I see in the manual calls for 80-W90, I was reading on fordrangerforum that ford now recommends 75-W140 in place of 80-W90)

15-W40 was for break in and initial startup. It's all just based off recommendations I was given when I rebuilt my Miata engine. It worked there so I'm continuing to use it for break in oil here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Break in your engine on any conventional 5w-30. Go for the full 5K. PYB would work fine. No reason to switch to synthetics until everything is mated and broken-in.

Don't baby that engine... Seat those rings!

I'm doing my next dump from initial startup and a quick jog around the block tonight. I'll go to PYB 5-W30 after that. The Rotella had nothing based in science other than past experience and that of a recommendation from my previous rebuild.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: NoNothing
Where did you see 80-w90?

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/axlelube.pdf

Excellent
smile.gif

I have opened one bottle, got half of it in the diff before I had to run last night. I'm also a complete idiot and realized I used Blue RTV instead of Black so I need to open it again anyway. Im gonna just trade in the other 2 bottles and grab some 80-W90 I guess. It's an open diff anyway.

Thank you for the heads up. I see a lot of conflicting info on going with 75-W140 Syn, 75-W90 Syn, or 80-W90. I'll stick stock now that I know what the heck it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Blue RTV is fine on your diff cover.

Oh? I'm learning so much, and feel like an idiot for being able to rebuild an engine and barely know what to do elsewhere on the car.

If I'm pulling the diff cover to dump the half bottle of 75-W140 in there anyway I think I'll just throw black on it.

I used blue RTV the last time I had to repair the front Detroit locker in my Jeep. No leaks and my axles see worse treatment than anyone on this forum.

I wouldn't dump (i.e. waste) the 75W140. Just top off with 80W90. I guess it's up to you if you want to stick with 80W90 only.

I wouldn't dump (i.e. waste) the 75W140. Just top off with 80W90. I guess it's up to you if you want to stick with 80W90 only.

There's no issue with topping 75-W140 Syn off with 80-W90 Conv? I'm fine with doing that. Saves re-cleaning and sealing the diff.

That sounds easy, I just I guess assumed mixing conv with syn might be bad. But that's why I'm here, to learn from those who know more than I do
smile.gif

Mixing the Mobil 1 75W140 with a 80W90 conventional would have no adverse effects.

Thank you for all the help!

I'll just top off with 80-W90 conventional and call it a day
smile.gif

I see a lot of conflicting info on going with 75-W140 Syn, 75-W90 Syn, or 80-W90.

Any of those will work just fine in a Ranger differential. They aint picky.

K

At least you are replacing the gear oil regularly. This may mean more than using the conventional 80w90 or the premium synthetic 75w140 .The rear axles of trucks typically only fail because the factory fill was left in there the whole life of the component. Typically the failure mode is worn bearings caused by wear metal from the gears. Do you have limited slip? If you do, buy gear oil that includes LS additives, or buy such additives to put in your gear oil.

Power steering? M1 ATF seems to work best in Fords, and it works extremely well in any PS system that uses Dexron or Mercon fluids, and it can replace Type-F because power steering systems don't need the friction modifiers found in ATF.

I like the idea of using dedicated engine break in oil, but I never had a rebuilt or replacement engine in any of my cars.

All the bores are standard, had the cylinder walls honed. New Sealed Power rings, new Clevite bearings in the cam, rods, and crank. New seals all around. New valves and valve seals. Oil pump is original. ......

Just wondering, why did you not change the oil pump if you tore the engine down for a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back