XPR

2254604649_0d0992c055.jpg
2255399226_0d1224ae1f.jpg
2254599797_66872e8503.jpg
2254599641_deeb3bf113.jpg
2255398840_12c9ab9c42.jpg
2255398716_5181943759.jpg
2255398594_239a14bc8a.jpg

Inside of a 1977 Corvette engine running Amsoil. Owner took it apart to paint the covers

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Probably a pretty fresh rebuild. They don't come from GM with FelPro gaskets, a welded oil pickup screen and all steel timing gears.

True.
thumbsup2.gif

Plus we don't know the OCI (they say a year but how many miles) climate and use.

Sadly, when you see posts like this and the words Amsoil, it hurts them more than not due to some over zealous closet sales folks in the past. (and current)

Still it would be nice to have the WHOLE story here.

It is clean. My 1999 Ford was that clean @ 108k miles when we tore it apart for its 2nd set of head gaskets.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Plus we don't know the OCI (they say a year but how many miles) climate and use.

Once a year, probably 12k, climate is Wisconsin its not driven in the winter, and he races it as well as using it for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Sadly, when you see posts like this and the words Amsoil, it hurts them more than not due to some over zealous closet sales folks in the past. (and current

Seem to only get this reaction when Amsoil is mentioned. If another brand of oil was mentioned I bet there wouldn't be any fuss at all.

Everybody suspects chicanery when Amsoil is mentioned. Maybe the guy opened the engine up for mods, or whatever. But with Amsoil, it's "fake". I've become used to it, pretty much know people will take potshots at leaders on the peaks, not the ones in the valleys.

I agree with you Pablo. Even though he is correct about the way it comes from the factory. To many people Amsoil = snakeoil. Why? No idea.

I wonder if there is anybody out there that's been running Amsoil in an OEM engine since the 70's? I'd like to see the insides of one like that.

That is an OEM engine, made in March 1977, some things like the timing chain were replaced as part of routine maintenance. Just because you use Amsoil doesn't mean you don't have to do anything else, ever to it. Besides, Amsoil was added after the regular maintenance was done by the previous owner.

Probly a pretty fresh rebuild. They don't come from GM with FelPro gaskets, a welded oil pickup screen and all steel timing gears.

I agree. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they don't usually stamp the cylinder numbers into the con-rods at the factory. I have seen machine shops do this at rebuild time though. I will confess that I could be wrong about this.

Also, a little bit of a surprise to see a two-bolt main cap in a corvette application. However, as I recall '77 was in the range of the slowest/most detuned years for corvettes...not to mention other american cars.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Probly a pretty fresh rebuild. They don't come from GM with FelPro gaskets, a welded oil pickup screen and all steel timing gears.

I agree. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they don't usually stamp the cylinder numbers into the con-rods at the factory. I have seen machine shops do this at rebuild time though. I will confess that I could be wrong about this.

Also, a little bit of a surprise to see a two-bolt main cap in a corvette application. However, as I recall '77 was in the range of the slowest/most detuned years for corvettes...not to mention other american cars.

That would be the L-48 I think is the correct number, engine for that year w/ 2-bolt main. You could get, and I have had the L-82 engine in that year that had the 4 bolt mains. And detuned , yes , but the 4-bolt could be rebuilt to put out more decent numbers, but still not like the earlier years.
Plus the rear end in that car that I had was a 4.11, so set up as a quarter mile racer, the fastest it would go absolute top speed with the 3 speed tranny and that rear end would be about 106 mph.
A friend had one of that year with the L-82 that he had blueprinted and swapped the rear out for hiway gears, might have put in a 4th gear too, can't remember, and would do 140-150 mph cruising easily, not sure what top speed was.
Thing about those cars was at speed the cockpit is noisy! Nothing like a modern car, very little sound dampening, screaming 350 in front of you and [censored] radios/8tracks. What fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I wonder if there is anybody out there that's been running Amsoil in an OEM engine since the 70's? I'd like to see the insides of one like that.

I got a "93 Chevy 3.1L Lumina sedan that has been running Amsoil since 1993 (new Sept. '92), approx. 15 yrs now. Engine has never been opened. 15 Yearly oil changes so far, maybe 14 because I think I skipped a year back in 2002 when I did not drive it for more than 5,000 miles (can't recall for sure). I can look into the valve cover filler hole and it looks like a new engine.

I have nothing against Amsoil. But I was assuming that you were saying that this was the 1st time that the engine had been opened up when it's obvious that it's not.

If it's the original engine with just maintenance then it looks good. I would like to see the date code on the back of the bearing shells or measure the bore myself though. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back