190cc briggs or gcv 160

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fixed the carburetor on the honda. All being equal which is the better engine the john deere mower with the 190cc briggs 6.75 hp or the honda gvc 160. Which will last longer in theory all else being equal.

Only folks that repair these engines can really tell ya but, I'd say it's equal. History/reputation may say the Honda but, I've had both and liked them both. The Briggs being a better value!

I have had both. Both are very good.
The Briggs is thirstier but I found the Honda carb to be more finicky (was unable to start my mower the 2nd season without taking the carb apart and cleaning the jets despite the same end of season ritual used on my Briggs).

I like the Briggs for ease of finding parts to repair it. Honda parts are sometimes a little harder to find. I like the Honda because it's smoother and quieter than any Briggs I've used, and the parts issue has never been a problem for me, because I've literally not had to fix anything on either of mine.

I have a 2003 model GCV160 and I've never had to touch it. I did add a fuel filter a year or two ago. I'm the original owner; no carburetor work, no parts replacement other than the NGK plug, and no fiddling or tuning with it ever. It simply runs. I used it to mow 2-3 years a week last summer and it keeps on running like a clock.

I prefer Honda due to my experience with them. But there's nothing wrong with the Briggs either.

Those are two excellent engines. The Honda is better on fuel and has "slightly" more power. Parts are easily available for both and are affordable. The Honda carb cost $20, the Briggs carb cost $30. I would consider them both to be similarly durable.

I have had both, currently have honda 160 and john deere with the kawasaki engine, The honda is quieter and more fuel efficent than the briggs, never had a lick of trouble with either engine, added a in line fuel filter on all my small engines, used stabilzer and ran them dry every year.Always started within two pulls every spring.

In all honesty i think you can flip a coin on the choice to make.

On the other hand the kawasaki is my hands down favorite.

Both have their good qualities. The Honda is smoother, a bit more powerful, and better on gas. They also seem to be a bit harder to get parts for, a bit finicky with the carbs, and more complicated.

A Briggs will have less power, your neighbors from 6 houses away will hear it, and they aren't the best on gas. They are also very simple engines, parts are everywhere, and they can run for decades.

Most of my OPE is Briggs powered, and many of them are over 20 years old.

I have a friend that has worked at a commercial mower sales and repair business for the last 20 years, his opinion on mower engines is Kawasaki and Briggs are the best overall, with Kawasaki being the better of the two. I asked about Honda's, he said "yeah, there ok"
His opinion for what its worth.

I'm interested in haring these opinions as well. I'm trying to decide between the Craftsman 190cc Briggs and Stratton and the TroyBilt 130. I want a powerful push mower for mulching, and these are the best candidates so far.

The engine is only part of the puzzle. To me, the quality of the deck, wheels, axles and all the hardware are equally if not more important.

I still kick myself for not picking up the new old stock Toro Super Recycler aluminum decked, non-self propelled a store by me had ~3yrs ago. All nice heavy components on it, although it had a briggs flat-head. Clerk said a few times "I'll give you a heck of a deal on it". IIRC, they had it listed at $289 or so.

Last edited:
I like a solid running Lawnboy/Briggs Duraforce and then followed by a Kawasaki FJ180 if I had limitless choice. If I had to pick between the Honda and the Briggs, I'll select the Honda based on my experiences with newer Hondas and newer Briggs engines.

For mulching purposes, the Kawasaki has the least bog down in high grass but the engine costs more than the mowers you're looking at alone. Both the Honda and the Briggs will bog, but how much really depends on the efficiency of the deck design.

Well comparing them both side my side deck design is probably equal. Honda is more comfortable. But the briggs is noticeably quieter. The honda is actually a loud mower.

I just went from a Troy Bilt TB210 w/ 190cc Briggs to a GCV160 powered HR216. The difference is night and day. The Briggs had an auto choke that was JUNK, fixed throttle, loud, ate through gas and was generally underpowered. Now, the auto choke can't count against the reliability of the engine itself but it is a POOR design.

The GCV160 is quiet, very fuel efficient, easy to start with manual throttle/choke and seems to always to have plenty of power.

It is like comparing apples to oranges.... Old flat head technology versus modern OHC. The flat head doesn't stand a chane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back