17 Subaru 3.6 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I did my first UOA on this vehicle at about the 14k mark with 5k on the oil. Pretty vanilla report which is good. Looking to get a baseline going. I am going to run this OCI to 7k and see what I get. I have used and continue to use M1 5-30 EP with a Fram Ultra filter. I am hoping the 7k OCI will be good to go for future runs. I would really like to get 7k on the oil worry free and 2 OCI's out of the filter. I do about 2k a month on this vehicle.

Anyone running 7k on a late model 3.6 Subby? Thoughts on this? I have 1k more to go to get to 7k. Figure 3 to 4 weeks until I can report back and add the UOA to this post.

IIRC, Subaru rather abruptly changed OCIs from 7500 miles to 6000 miles across the board in 2015. Pretty sure my 2014's manual said 7500 and it sort of spooked me when the OCI got changed the next year with no engine change...I've been running 5000 miles because I'm a BITOGer. I could be wrong about this being across the whole Subaru line, though.
The suspicion here and other places was that Subaru was trying to mask oil consumption issues, surely many drivers don't check their oil between changes and some of them could have even lost engines due to unchecked consumption. Not sure if it's luck or the newer engines are just better, but my FA20DIT and my daughter's FB20 haven't shown patterns of oil loss yet.

Anyway, if you're checking your level regularly between changes, I would guess you'd be just fine at 7500 miles. I'd have to think the 3.6l is easier on oil that Subie's turbo 4s.

Last edited:
I check oil level often. I'm happy she does not burn much at all. I would think the 3.6 is pretty easy on the oil compared to the 4 Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back