17 nissan pathfinder warranty issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad this may have helped you further JTK....and he is the service manager so I have my fingers crossed that he helps to get the work done. @tiger, I did a flush hoping that would help with the smoke issue before I knew what it was, plus I hadn't flushed on any of my other changes and there was some thick oil in the filler when I went to do it this time so i thought it would help but it didnt because he said the smoke isn't oil but rather the excess gas firing.

Originally Posted by DiaQui
I'm glad this may have helped you further JTK....and he is the service manager so I have my fingers crossed that he helps to get the work done. @tiger, I did a flush hoping that would help with the smoke issue before I knew what it was, plus I hadn't flushed on any of my other changes and there was some thick oil in the filler when I went to do it this time so i thought it would help but it didnt because he said the smoke isn't oil but rather the excess gas firing.

Curious about this flush. What is that all about?

I typically do that on my vehicles every 5 or so changes....just a solvent that runs through the system for a couple minutes then drained when you change your oil. I've heard good and bad about it, but have been doing it for about 20 years now and not engines tended to always look good and run well.....until this newer one lol

Call Nissan Manufacturer Customer Service yourself and open up a escalation ticket!
It's always good to do some digging yourself.
I'd like to hear from Nissan itself if it requested that oil sample and other details.

Last edited:
The mentioning that you ran a flush adds a wrinkle to this whole thread. What was the name of this flush?

Yes. Hate to say it, but in light of the situation, that's something I would have not done on a 2017 with relatively low mileage.

To the OP:

Did you personally see the engine when the valve covers and oil pan were removed, or did you only see the photographs? I'd be climbing in there to get my own photo documentation. If it really appears the original owner neglected to do scheduled oil changes and the engine sludged, get out your checkbook.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
To the OP:

Did you personally see the engine when the valve covers and oil pan were removed, or did you only see the photographs? I'd be climbing in there to get my own photo documentation. If it really appears the original owner neglected to do scheduled oil changes and the engine sludged, get out your checkbook.

I wouldn't trust that shop at face value no matter what. As soon as the SW told me about the sludge I would have been driving down there to see the top of the engine in person.

I think the whole thing smells fishy. OP doesn't appear to be seeing my posts so I post the comment again.

DiaQui : Call Nissan USA customer service yourself and get input from them and what they requested the dealer do first hand. I want to know did NMC ask for the oil sample or did the shop call Nissan say they believed they should send it to them?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
To the OP:

I wouldn't trust that shop at face value no matter what. As soon as the SW told me about the sludge I would have been driving down there to see the top of the engine in person.

I think the whole thing smells fishy. OP doesn't appear to be seeing my posts so I post the comment again.

DiaQui : Call Nissan USA customer service yourself and get input from them and what they requested the dealer do first hand. I want to know did NMC ask for the oil sample or did the shop call Nissan say they believed they should send it to them?

I'm going to have to head there and take a look when I get a chance unfortunately with work and their hours will probably be Monday 🤦â€â™‚ï¸ I have been working with a consumer services agent throughout and I'm going to ask her about it.

Someone else mentioned have my checkbook ready, but I dont want to give them anything, I'm going to have my regular mechanic swap the engine if it comes down to it, again as of now I'm more concerned with them screwing me outta a couple hundred more dollars for "reassembly" but someone else here seemed to have a way to work with that.

Originally Posted by DiaQui
Originally Posted by AC1DD
To the OP:

I'm going to have to head there and take a look when I get a chance unfortunately with work and their hours will probably be Monday 🤦â€â™‚ï¸ I have been working with a consumer services agent throughout and I'm going to ask her about it.

Someone else mentioned have my checkbook ready, but I dont want to give them anything, I'm going to have my regular mechanic swap the engine if it comes down to it, again as of now I'm more concerned with them screwing me outta a couple hundred more dollars for "reassembly" but someone else here seemed to have a way to work with that.

Good idea. It appears you have lost confidence in this shop. I would also convey those thoughts to Nissan. If I was in that same situation I would probably do the same.

I think the service manager is being quite helpful. Nissan want the oil checked for fuel contamination probably to see if it so high that it would have compromised the oil enough for sludge to form.

If the fuel contamination is not super high, then maybe they'll try to get out of being responsible for anything beyond the injector and say the sludge is not related to it.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like the leaky injector is not responsible. As well as your regular oil changes, rental cars do get regular maintenance.

I would not tell them that you did a flush though.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
I think the service manager is being quite helpful. Nissan want the oil checked for fuel contamination probably to see if it so high that it would have compromised the oil enough for sludge to form.

If the fuel contamination is not super high, then maybe they'll try to get out of being responsible for anything beyond the injector and say the sludge is not related to it.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like the leaky injector is not responsible. As well as your regular oil changes, rental cars do get regular maintenance.

I would not tell them that you did a flush though.

Yea I was trying to be as upfront and honest as possible, but I did not mention the flush. I realistically didnt want or need an engine, it runs great (other than the smokey start lol). If they just did the injector I'd be fine, or like I said before just gave it back to me and didnt try to charge for the reassembly that they never told me would be required but he seemed to hint around to.

Intrigued on this leaking injector prognosis. On a DI engine like this, wouldn't that cause hydro lock or at a minimum rich fuel trim codes, misfires, etc?

From the looks of my 2019, the injectors are in the engine valley side of the heads and buried under the intake manifold.

Why is this 2 year old vehicle with only 50k miles having issues, that's my main question here. Must have had a pretty hard life before you got it.

Originally Posted by JTK
Intrigued on this leaking injector prognosis. On a DI engine like this, wouldn't that cause hydro lock

Pretty sure the fuel pump cuts off after shutdown so any fuel getting into the cylinder after that would be minimal.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by JTK
Intrigued on this leaking injector prognosis. On a DI engine like this, wouldn't that cause hydro lock

Pretty sure the fuel pump cuts off after shutdown so any fuel getting into the cylinder after that would be minimal.

True. There's a standard in tank fuel pump/sending unit that feeds fuel to the cam driven high pressure fuel pump. It should be just residual fuel after engine shut down.

[Linked Image]

^^^his email
Sorry been busy at work all day. So I talked to him again, claim was denied (email attached). When i talked on the phone he said it would be $220 to put back together ($60 oil change amd reassembly). He will be sending me the pics and the results tomorrow or Monday. Said there was minimal fuel in the oil, but some water which is a result of the sludge as well as high iron I believe it was. Basically they said lack of maintenance despite my records because the ones from the shop "weren't computer printer". I'm just glad I can get it back for less than $50 bucks but we discussed me calling Nissan directly next week amd seeing of they can do more through their team. He said it's worth the extra shot.

Last edited:
That email makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why do I feel like this is a troll thread? Nothing in this thread makes much sense.

Was the fuel level .5 or 5? It may have changed since I was in grade school but I was taught that .5 is less than 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back