17 KIA OPTIMA 8K MILES ON OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nlife
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My opinion....
Run a couple 4.5K OCIs with 5W30. Get an oil with much less Calcium than 1800. No more than 1200...... preferably 1000. Look for both SN Plus and Dexos 1 Generation 2 oils. With SN Plus / Dexos, your Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorous will still be close. Using that-type recipe, you may see an uptick with Boron and down-tick with Moly. Sort of a trade-off. Finding a recipe with around 30 Titanium would be an added plus.

This engine may respond well with Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge 5w30.

Valvoline Advanced has a makeup very similar to the Castrol Magnatec. Castrol Edge is a beefed up add pack compared to Magnatec, but it appears that they have dropped Titanium in Edge for some reason.

No mention of dropping Titanium on Castrol Edge webpages.
Where did you uncover this news? Got a link?

We have the same engine in our '14 Tuscon.
I use M1 EP or PP 5W30 in winter and M1 EP 10W30 in summer and change the oil at about 7K miles. No severe driving condition and/or short trips.
Haven't done any UOA but the oil color stays much better with these oils.

Curious what other oil were you using (samples 1 & 2) besides the last test with Amsoil?
Also since you are in AL, 10Wx may not be bad idea. x being 30 (ok per our Owners manual) or 40 (not listed in OM) but I would consider it if i lived in hot places or hot summers.

Originally Posted by nlife
My opinion....
Run a couple 4.5K OCIs with 5W30. Get an oil with much less Calcium than 1800. No more than 1200...... preferably 1000. Look for both SN Plus and Dexos 1 Generation 2 oils. With SN Plus / Dexos, your Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorous will still be close. Using that-type recipe, you may see an uptick with Boron and down-tick with Moly. Sort of a trade-off. Finding a recipe with around 30 Titanium would be an added plus.

This engine may respond well with Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge 5w30.

Valvoline Advanced has a makeup very similar to the Castrol Magnatec. Castrol Edge is a beefed up add pack compared to Magnatec, but it appears that they have dropped Titanium in Edge for some reason.

No mention of dropping Titanium on Castrol Edge webpages.
Where did you uncover this news? Got a link?

Perhaps I should clarify, it appears that they've reduced the amount of Titanium as 'dropped' could imply that they've removed it altogether. I noticed the reduced amount in VOA's when compiling an excel file of the various 5w30's available for my 3.5L Ecoboost. I noted a VOA from 2019 on Castrol EDGE 5w30 has 9-10ppm Titanium while Magnatec maintains 30ppm.

Castrol EDGE 5w30 SN-Plus VOA 04/09/19

I'd definitely move up to a robust 5w-30 and stick to the 6-7k mile range. In a couple more OCI'S I'd do another analysis. I'd like to see those iron and silicon readings drop. If that doesn't do it I'd probably back the OCI down more until it trends a lot lower than it does now.

I find it funny that copper actually went down with the longer run over the first analysis. The only things iron in that engine being cam and crank, I would have expected higher copper content with the influx in iron.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back