16 Hyundai Elantra GT Burning Oil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolperdinger
We've had 3 Hyundais, all bought new. 2004 Elantra, 2013 Elantra GT, and a 2016 Tucson 1.6L. Not one of them had burned or is burning, a drop of oil. 1 quart per 1,000 miles sounds insane.

Yeah, my family has purchased from new a few different Hyundais and none of them have burned oil.

I almost wonder, going from using 1/4 quart in an OCI to using 3/4 quart through the first few thousand miles is a pretty extreme increase. I'm curious if there's not a leak somewhere, like at the filter or maybe they reused the crush washer. However, I'd like to see if switching brands wouldn't help here.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Button
Hyundai says 1 Quart per 1 K is acceptable

LOL you know I was considering a Hyundai at one time but the fact is that's B. S. Hyundai you lose!

Uhhh...I don't think that's exactly Hyundai-specific as stealerships of many makes will feed you that line to get rid of you. I've owned two Hyundais and neither burned any oil so I guess they haven't lost yet.

LOL you know I was considering a Hyundai at one time but the fact is that's B. S. Hyundai you lose!
1 quart per 1,000 miles is what almost every automaker says.

Audi and BMW I think say 1 quart per 700 miles is ok.

I've never owned a vehicle that consumed oil. Perhaps, I'm naive and/or ignorant, but a vehicle burning oil is NOT acceptable. Unless it was designed to burn oil. Been on this blue petri dish quite sometime.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
3/4 of a quart in 4,000 miles is 5,300 miles per quart. Not bad.

LOL and they think I'm about to trade in a 2004 Corolla with 113171 miles that uses a half a pint in 4000 to 5000 miles. Good luck with that Carp!

Last edited:
My '10 Chrysler Sebring has 158k on it. I'm just a little over 5800 miles since my last oil change and the level is barely more than an 1/8" below the full line on the dipstick.

L8R,
Matt

Anyone else with an Elantra GT experience oil consumption? I use Amsoil 5W20 & change it every 7.5K. Last OCI I added 1/2 quart, 3/4 quart so far thru 4K. Nevertheless, I thinking of using 5W30 next OCI. BTW, my car has 22K.
TY

That doesn't seem that bad to me. Since you are under warranty, I would be consulting your dealer and have the situation monitored.

That is pretty much what most manufactures allow.

OP is only using 1/2-3/4 quart per oil change. That is FAR from the car needing anything. Maybe change oil brands and see if it gets better.

Last edited:
I saw a video saying that new engines are designed with slightly looser tolerances on moving parts to allow low resistance and therefore improve gas mileage. According to the video this is why we see newer cars with oil consumption issues, looser piston ring fit. Not sure if its accurate but it did seem to make some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back