‘16 CX-5 using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pda1122
I read the dip stick after it sitting overnight. Will it read differently after running to temp then waiting 5 mins?

Yes. More oil drains down into the pan overnight, so the level may be slightly higher.

You want to check it with the engine hot and at operating temp. 5-15 mins after it's turned off is best. I usually pop the hood right away after driving to allow it to cool and come back outside in 10-15 mins to check it. Sure the dipstick will be HOT but this oil level reading is what you want to see.

Checking and adjusting the oil level with the engine cold isn't technically the best way to do it. Say you fill it up fully when cold but once the engine is at operating temp, the true reading may be either lower or higher then when cold depending on engine design. I've seen it both ways. In some the oil level rises once hot. In other it's lower.

Since the engine is operating while HOT 99% of the time, this is the temp where you want the oil level to be at.

Of course there are those who will say who cares about the few Oz of difference. Big deal, blah blah blah. I'm a true car guy and can service my engine in white gloves without getting them dirty, so I like to keep things perfect. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back