15W-40 diesel motor oil for lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can I use SAE 15w-40 diesel motor oil in a 21 hp briggs and Stratton, manufactured 2011? We have an excess amount of this stuff and would like to use it up.

I've found that 15w-40 is too thick for some small engines.

Rotella T 10w-30 is an excellent alternative.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
We have an excess amount of this stuff and would like to use it up.

Sure. Just mix it half-and-half with your excess amount of straight 20 oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
We have an excess amount of this stuff and would like to use it up.

Sure. Just mix it half-and-half with your excess amount of straight 20 oil.

Or TGMO 0w20 to make a killer blend
smile.gif

A 15W-40 heavy duty engine oil (HDEO) is a great choice for outdoor power equipment (OPE) engines running in high heat conditions.

I would opt for a 10W-30 HDEO if the engine is brand new (and tight) and/or the temps moderate some.

Been using Mobil Delvac 1300 (15/40) in my old K series cast iron air cooled Kohlers for many years now with very good results.

I have been using 15W-40 in my 500cc B&S Intek single for the last 5 years mounted in a Craftsman riding mower. Since you didn't say otherwise, I'll guess you have the same. Use it with confidence, you won't be sorry unless you want to start at less than 10F. If your engine has an oil filter, I'd suggest to just buy the cheapest automotive filter you can fit. I use Motorcraft FL-400 or equivalent. Much, much cheaper than $10 for a B&S filter.

I have been running 15w40 in my briggs powered generator and Kohler powered rider for two years now, and nothing has blown up yet. I am running 30w HDEO in my pusher, with the intent to transition everything to 15w-40 eventually. One lube for all OPE and one lube for my fords (Mobil 5000 5w-20). The wife is stuck with Rotella T5 10w30 in her Chrysler. Anyhoo it will make servicing easier on all that annual service OPE- a gallon of Rotella 15w40 should do them all.

I used `5w-40 Rotella in the Honda HRX mower for a couple seasons, but been using the 5w-40 Rotella last few seasons as well as in the inverter generator.

If the engine has an oil pressured system it is probably OK to use but, cirtanly not the best choice. If however, it is a splash system the I definately would not use it. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If the engine has an oil pressured system it is probably OK to use but, cirtanly not the best choice. If however, it is a splash system the I definately would not use it. Ed

Why?

What makes it a poorer choice than say SAE 30, which some of those splash-lubed engines call for?

Unless you are starting at 100C, the 15w-40 is probably thinner than the SAE 30, LOL
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back