15K OCI on a 2002 Toyota Highlander? Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing my sisters oil to her 2002 Toyota Highlander V6 on Tuesday. Last time I put in GC with an OEM filter. She went the full 7500 mile OCI plus an additional 1500+ miles.

This time I bought her Mobil1 5w-30 EP with a Mobil1 EP filter. What do you guys think about raising the OCI on this vehicle? Probably 75% highway driving. 10K or 15K OCI?

Thanks for your opinions.

In that engine, I wouldn't exceed 10k without doing some oil analysis testing. My experience has been that all the Toyota/Lexus V-6's beat up the oil pretty good.

The cooler weather where you are will help, but still....

TS

Agree with TS..
cheers.gif

I'd do a UOA around 7500-8000 with a TBN test and go from there.

Of course, you'd think that $40+ worth of oil and filter would hopefully go 15k, but I would not...
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Unfortunatly, my sister is the type who will drive the car forever without ever thinking about changing the oil. Being the true caring BITOG member that I am; I felt it was my duty to remnder her about it. I guess I could remind her at 7500 miles and feel somewhat reassured that it could go a little farther if need be.

You want my opinion?

7500 miles or 6 months is the furthest I would go on a synthetic. If that were my Toyota, it would have real synthetic oil in it like Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, Redline 5W-40 or Amsoil 5W-40.
wink.gif

I have a Kluger, same as Highlander V6 3.3, here in Australia and the service interval is 10k kms (6.25k miles) and that is what I use with Mobil 1 10W-30. The dealers use Valvoline 15W-40 for service and the Toyota branded oil sold at the dealers is 10W-40 rated SJ, the handbook says SL/SM. I would use Mobil 1 5W-30 but we cannot get it here. I also have just bought a new Corolla and it and will use the same oil and schedule after a few flushes with mineral oil.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back