15+ year old 20W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like clarification on getting a sample from a metal can of oil that has been sitting over 15 years, to get some insight into what oil was like back then, as well as shelf life.
The top of the can is dirty; how should it be cleaned? Should I make a point of shaking the can; should I make a point of leaving it quite still? Seriously it hasn't moved in 15+ years. Is it OK to open it with a metal can opener? (8-9 months ago I dropped off 'virgin' samples for spectographic analysis, and tainted them and really embarrassed myself. $150 shot because I poked the seals open with a metal key, probably a month before pouring into the sample bottles, too. That's why I'm asking for clarification)
What is the best way to dispose of the the remaining 800 or so ML? (
offtopic.gif
but who was the guy that posted about disposal, said he was water plant engineer or the like? I want to set up a discussion about disposal)
Rob

Rob,

Save it for posterity and Collectors. Spray some rust preventative on the can and sell it as a collector's item.

I DO have more than one can of it; sorry if I implied otherwise. I also saw some Valvoline 10W40 in plastic bottles that I would estimate to be more than 5 years old. I would call them with the UPC code to ensure before taking any action, VOA's or not.
Thanks MoleKule!

As far as disposing of it, just recycle it like you do with regular old used motor oil - whereever you take that, the old stuff can go too. After all, its motor oil, isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
After all, its motor oil, isn't it?

'Gopher,

After 15 years.....who knows...it might have become something else (do do do do, do do do do)
shocked.gif

[ July 22, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
After all, its motor oil, isn't it?

'Gopher,

After 15 years.....who knows...it might have become something else (do do do do, do do do do)
shocked.gif

YOU NEVER KNOW...
I'M TESTING IN MY WHEEL BERINGS A GREASE ON ONE SIDE THAT IS ABOUT 20 years old the other side is a fresh one. Bothe of them been on I think about 40-50K, I'd have to check the records....
As far as CANNED oil... It has been my experience that if left in the cool heat thaw cycles or ven in Texas down SOUTH weather, the cans will RUST.... and it will get into the oil...
Now, perhaps if it was shaken or rotated every 6-8 weeks for the 15 years, there may not be any problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back