15 Ford Explorer v6 oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer 6 with 39k on it. It's the lowest mileage vehicle I've ever owned. For years now I have run valvoline high mileage conventional oil in my cars with 100+k on be. And used the engine gaurentee.

With a newer and lower mileage vehicle, I'm wondering what approach to have. We garage park, and my wife makes many shorter trips around town in the car during the week. Then about every other month we take it on longer trips across the region. So it's a solid mix on short town driving and long hauls.

Without spending unnecessary money, what's my best option?

There is no secret, this engine is very robust and can last a long time on any oil. My company runs a fleet of explorers that are pounded on day in and day out with many over 150,000 miles now, all on bulk 5w-30 changed every 5000. There are many thousands of idle hours to go along with the mileage, and we've never had an engine fail for any reason, much less lubrication. We've had our share of mechanical issues, but never anything to do with the hard parts of the engine. There are many other things that are going to break long before the engine gets worn out, so use any quality oil and sleep well.

Last edited:
Without spending any unnecessary money -- Super Tech Conventional 5W30 or Super Tech Synthetic 5W30. Unless your willing to apply rebates paired with Mobil or Pennzoil -- good oil for a great price.

Dale

Last edited:
Many have said 5W-30 in this thread but keep in mind that motor is speced for 5W-20. Your car is still under warranty so that may be a consideration for you.

If you like Valvoline you'd be fine using the MaxLife Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic MaxLife; Valvoline will tell you that MaxLife is perfectly fine for newer engines too and it is.

I've had 3 different model Ford Explorer company cars (2 with the same engine as yours) that I ran to 90K miles in approximately 5 years getting Kendall syn blend 5W-20 oil changes and whatever filter Firestone uses every 5K miles. No issues at all and never burned any oil either. Pick your favorite in spec oil brand and quality filter and I think you'll be just fine with a 5K OCI.

I'm not sure what OCI Ford recommends, but I'd be very comfortable going to a 7K or 8K mile OCI with almost any full syn in spec oil. If it were my car and I was paying for it I think I'd run Castrol Magnatec, PP, or Valvoline Advanced full syn, (in 5W-20 or 5W-30) and a Napa Gold filter out to 8K and have no worries at all.

Last edited:
I'm sensing kessellrun likes good value. I would be slightly concerned about timing chain wear in a modern V6. Therefore, go ahead and get Castrol GTX Magnatec (walmart) 5w20 Full Synthetic that meets dexos1 Gen2 with the proof of timing chain wear tests. And its pretty cheap oil if you get the 5-quart jug. (Walmart service center puts it in for you if you ask them, if you're not a DIYer.) Also get a cheap (but superior!) Fram Ultra XG10575, wire-backed, full synthetic media, dual layer media, silicon ADBV, actually good for 20,000 miles, but change it every time due to your powertrain warranty.
You could save about $8 more per oil change if you went with the cheapest 5w20 you find and the cheapest oil filter on the shelf. I recommend getting the better Magnatec/Ultra combo for the best bang for the buck.
Don't use Motorcraft oil filters since there have been so many reported getting a hole in the media inside them.
Change oil and filter according to when the dashboard light tells you to (iOLM light).

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I'm sensing kessellrun likes good value. I would be slightly concerned about timing chain wear in a modern V6. Therefore, go ahead and get Castrol GTX Magnatec (walmart) 5w20 Full Synthetic that meets dexos1 Gen2 with the proof of timing chain wear tests. And its pretty cheap oil if you get the 5-quart jug. (Walmart service center puts it in for you if you ask them, if you're not a DIYer.) Also get a cheap (but superior!) Fram Ultra XG10575, wire-backed, full synthetic media, dual layer media, silicon ADBV, actually good for 20,000 miles, but change it every time due to your powertrain warranty.
You could save about $8 more per oil change if you went with the cheapest 5w20 you find and the cheapest oil filter on the shelf. I recommend getting the better Magnatec/Ultra combo for the best bang for the buck.
Don't use Motorcraft oil filters since there have been so many reported getting a hole in the media inside them.
Change oil and filter according to when the dashboard light tells you to (iOLM light).

He also likes Maxlife. OP stick with your maintenance habits it has helped you get this far.

Originally Posted by dave1251
He also likes Maxlife. OP stick with your maintenance habits it has helped you get this far.
Can you name a reason for how doing something for other older cars in the past relates to this much newer vehicle? ... You can post on here, but you need to have valid facts to back up your thinking. Otherwise the readers see you as emotional & baseless.
I explained how one could maximize benefits and take advantage of some of the best, latest tech by only spending around $8 more per oil change than using less capable products.

As you can see from my signature, I'm a MaxLife fan although I doubt you'll go wrong with any suggested. In my neck of the woods, MaxLife semi syn is the only semi syn available at most oil change places with Valvoline , Works great at any mileage.

Can you name a reason for how doing something for other older cars in the past relates to this much newer vehicle? ... You can post on here, but you need to have valid facts to back up your thinking. Otherwise the readers see you as emotional & baseless.
I explained how one could maximize benefits and take advantage of some of the best, latest tech by only spending around $8 more per oil change than using less capable products.

Valvoline is pretty specific on approving MaxLife for any mileage, and Blackstone has a number of newsletter essays stating that they can determine no differences in wear for any particular oil, synthetic or conventional. Everyone on this site--including me-- spends too much time thinking about oil quality, although it's a harmless pastime. I'm pushing forty cars owned and have cooked three, including a horrible Corvair that my wife made me buy in the early seventies and a couple that lost coolant. Something else totally unrelated to oil got the rest of 'em.

Simple Maxlife meets the same specs as Magatec and costs less. Also who died and named you King to allow you to proclaim what should be included in posts? What have you added? Marketing?

How does Magnatec help with the timing chain?

And yes I am open to a new oil with a new car. I was thinking it was time to switch back to synthetic. I used to run Mobil 1 when i had a newer car. Part of why I switched to the MaxLife was I was already chaining oil every 3k and at least they offered a "guarantee." I doubt the garantee would deliver, but I was saving a few bucks a chain and at least had a reason.

With this car, I am willing to spend a few more bucks if there is decent support for a better option. Im leaning towards a synthetic for now. Then may be something different as I put the miles on in time.

Originally Posted by kessellrun

And yes I am open to a new oil with a new car. I was thinking it was time to switch back to synthetic. I used to run Mobil 1 when i had a newer car. Part of why I switched to the MaxLife was I was already chaining oil every 3k and at least they offered a "guarantee." I doubt the garantee would deliver, but I was saving a few bucks a chain and at least had a reason.

With this car, I am willing to spend a few more bucks if there is decent support for a better option. Im leaning towards a synthetic for now. Then may be something different as I put the miles on in time.

Since oil related engine failures are very rare, Valvoline would have gladly paid off. Their risks are next to nothing, and they got you to change oil twice as often as you had to.

This V6 isn't the 4.0 ohc with a rear timing chain? Anything that has oil pressure sensitive widgets and/or plastic chain guides. You would do best to be conservative with the OCIs.

Originally Posted by kessellrun

Pretty much most synthetic oils pass Dexos 1 Gen 2 that have the timing chain test. Pick the oil you like, options are there. Since you like Valvoline, pick either Valvoline Advance, Valvoline High Mileage w/Maxlife, or Valvoline Modern Engine. Those 3 all have the Dexos 1 Gen 2 approval. You can probably get one of them at as much of a value like Castrol Magnatec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back