'15 Chevy Colorado 3.6 V6 5595 oci, 0w40 PP Euro

Just wanted to try it and see what happens as truck calls for 5w30 Dexos 2. Went a little over as I wanted to change at 5k but life got in the way.

I find it odd there was a trace of water in it as it was not cold sampled and in fact it was such a hot day I waited about an hour so I didn't burn the heck out of my hand. It seems like it sheared a lot since it's supposed to be 13 cSt @ 100c. Don't know if the water really did affect that.

Running a cleaning cycle of Fram 5w30 & HPL EC for at least 2k then changing the filter and may run another 2k.

PP 0w40 TDS

15COLORADO-I-516202-Sev2_Page_1.jpg
15COLORADO-I-516202-Sev2_Page_2.jpg
15COLORADO-I-516202-Sev2_Page_3.jpg

This truck eats iron for breakfast it seems? Things are a bit elevated for the mileage. Are you towing with this truck? It also shows 16oz added to this oil run?

This truck eats iron for breakfast it seems? Things are a bit elevated for the mileage. Are you towing with this truck? It also shows 16oz added to this oil run?
Ya low oil indicator came on, took barely 1/2 qt. I haul sometimes heavy things, I don't tow but I also don't have the lightest of foot either.

Ya low oil indicator came on, took barely 1/2 qt. I haul sometimes heavy things, I don't tow but I also don't have the lightest of foot either.
I don't think 1/2qt is bad at all in 5600 miles but I'm surprised it triggered an oil light. This is a "Low Oil" light & not "Low oil Pressure" light? I'm not up to speed on the latest tech so?

"Bob" sounds like he's ready to rip at all times. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think 1/2qt is bad at all in 5600 miles but I'm surprised it triggered an oil light. This is a "Low Oil" light & not "Low oil Pressure" light? I'm not up to speed on the latest tech so?

"Bob" sounds like he's ready to rip at all times. :ROFLMAO:
Yup I never even knew the truck had oil level monitoring until it came across the dash. Pressure is digital and a light.

I guess it's my way of making sure the valves don't carbon up as bad as they could. :ROFLMAO:

I think he means his owners manual calls for Dexos 1 Gen 2 (which is now replaced by Dexos 1 Gen 3) but has nothing to do with Dexos 2...
That is probably correct as I just did a little research and incorrectly referred to it as Dexos 2 not Dexos 1 Gen 2. Dexos 2 is for light duty diesels & gas engines in Europe.

Yup I never even knew the truck had oil level monitoring until it came across the dash. Pressure is digital and a light.

I guess it's my way of making sure the valves don't carbon up as bad as they could. :ROFLMAO:
That is great that they've put that sensor in there. Don't even need to check the dipstick till' the light pops up...NICE!

Isn't this the same engine as what's in the Traverse, Acadia....etc...and approx same year time-frame where very expensively-installed time belts are prematurely needed, due to poor lubrication? I heard some dealers want close to $3K for the replacement / labor.

I change my daughter's syn oil every 3k. That engine will chug thin oil more rapidly, so the 0w40 choice is what I also use. Sometimes 5w40.
Keep the engine full of oil and keep the oil on the dipstick relatively clean.

This is the older (pre LGZ) version V6.
Yes LGX
Isn't this the same engine as what's in the Traverse, Acadia....etc...and approx same year time-frame where very expensively-installed time belts are prematurely needed, due to poor lubrication? I heard some dealers want close to $3K for the replacement / labor.

I change my daughter's syn oil every 3k. That engine will chug thin oil more rapidly, so the 0w40 choice is what I also use. Sometimes 5w40.
Keep the engine full of oil and keep the oil on the dipstick relatively clean.
AFAIK I thought the truck version used a chain in fact I thought all versions used a chain.

Back